Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 20th Apr 2015 at 10:31 PM
Default New computer for Sims 2 + all exp and video making
I have actually read the system requirements and the graphics card list and whatnot, but I didn't find these there and honestly, I'm just lost in the jungle. T.T

I want to be able to play Sims 2 with all expansions and a lot of downloads (and also make sims 2 machinima) without lag. Would any of these 2 computers work? And is there a problem with Windows 7 and Sims 2? I read there were problems with W8 so I'm probably going to choose W7.

These websites are in Swedish but the actual product names are in English so it shouldn't be a problem.

Computer one (I know all the info here is not relevant but I'm just copying and pasting so I don't accidentally miss something):

Samsung DVD Writer, SH-224DB
Stötsäker kartong
SteelSeries QcK mousemat,
Cooler Master Elite 344 Mini Tower Svart
Cooler Master B500 VER.2, 500W PSU
ASUS B85M-G, Socket-1150
Intel Pentium G3240
Crucial DDR3 BallistiX Sport 1600MHz 8GB
ASUS GeForce GTX 750 1GB PhysX CUDA
nVIDIA's Free 2 Play 150USD
WD Desktop Blue 1TB
Logitech Desktop MK120 (Nordic)
Norton Security 2.0 backup Attach
MS COA Windows 7 Pro Nordic
MS DVD Win H.P/Pro/Ultimate 7 SE 64bit
Garanti 3 års inskicksgaranti

https://www.komplett.se/k/config.as...gSystemId=10876

It is a computer that they build so you choose the components yourself. I am not sure that I have chosen the best options, however, I also don't have an unlimited budget.

Computer two: http://speldatorn.se/Gamer-A6-Hero

Help would be so appreciated! I'd just hate to buy a computer that wouldn't work for my purposes, and I just lack the knowledge.
I did googling and after hours I decided to post here. Please don't execute me if this has already been answered somewhere, somehow. -.-
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 20th Apr 2015 at 10:51 PM
On a purely technical level I think it should be fine for the Sims 2. Even though it's a Pentium, it should perform like a mid-range Core2 cpu, which should be fine for The sims 2.

6168 kroner? It's balanced, but expensive for what it is in my opinion.

Also, I would opt out of the Norton if you can. Just skip it.
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 22nd Apr 2015 at 1:31 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ajaxsirius
On a purely technical level I think it should be fine for the Sims 2. Even though it's a Pentium, it should perform like a mid-range Core2 cpu, which should be fine for The sims 2.

6168 kroner? It's balanced, but expensive for what it is in my opinion.

Also, I would opt out of the Norton if you can. Just skip it.

I chose Norton as if you have a good computer you need a good antivirus. What would you suggest otherwise?

And what about the other computer? I'm thinking about choosing that one and selecting no OS so I can buy that separately and use the same dvd on another computer if that doesn't work. After all, you can use the OS for 30 days without activating, I've read. Would the other computer work for sims 2?

And you say it is expensive? That's the cheapest I could find with those standards o_o

But thank you for replying!
Scholar
#4 Old 22nd Apr 2015 at 4:58 AM
I use ESET's Anti-Virus Nod32: http://www.eset.no/produkter/eset-nod32-antivirus/

I say it's expensive, because it's using the weakest gaming parts and it's still more than 800 EUR. But I forgot as well that computer parts are generally more expensive than in america, and you're paying the company for their service as well. So... I only say it's expensive because you could get the same for cheaper if you assembled yourself. If you want them to do it for you, you're paying for that service.

The first computer is better than the second in my opinion.
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#5 Old 9th May 2015 at 6:31 PM
Hello again, thank you for your help. I haven't gotten around to buy it yet but now I'm thinking about another one, it is almost the same and a little bit cheaper, would that be better than the first computer or is the first computer still better?

The main difference I think is the first one has Intel Pentium processor and the second has AMD... I'm not sure which is best. I'm copying and pasting again, it's in Swedish but I don't want to get anything lost in translation so I don't translate it, I think you'll understand anyway. x)

AMD A4-6320 -processor med dubbla kärnor. 3.8GHz (4.0GHz Turbo), 1MB
* 1024MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750
* 8GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM
* 1000GB hårddisk (7200rpm)
* CD/DVD brännare (bränner och läser CD och DVD skivor)
* 7.1-kanals högdefinitionsljud
* Gigabit nätverkskort
* Trådlöst Lan / Wifi

It is this one: http://shop.compless.com/?p=datoran...&dator_id=77086

Help would be appreciated but I'd understand if you no longer have time or energy, hehe.
Scholar
#6 Old 10th May 2015 at 4:41 AM
Well... it's cheaper, but it's also a lot weaker. I can't say which is a better deal. I would get the Pentium, but that's just my personal opinion.
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#7 Old 10th May 2015 at 9:48 PM
Okay, thank you so much.
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#8 Old 18th May 2015 at 9:37 PM
Hello I have a new computer now and everything works great except 2 things: Shadows under sims are black squares and movies can't be filmed in compressed mode. Is there any other solution to the shadows problem other than choosing the medium setting and is there any solution to the movies issue?
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#9 Old 19th May 2015 at 12:44 PM
Okay, as far as I'm aware too. :/ which is a bummer because shadows make the game look so much better.