Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 20th Dec 2010 at 8:57 AM
Default Tutorial for creating your own terrain paint for CAW?
I want to create some terrain paint for CAW and perhaps in game use too... I can see stuff on textures and stuff for clothing but nothing on ground or CAW paints?

I've been trying to use the TRS Workshop thing, which is where my searching lead me but it's not really helping me. In fact I'm about as far into that helping me as painting in CAW and pretending my ground is pink.

Jade Elizabeth (Alundra)
Just call me Al
Advertisement
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#2 Old 20th Dec 2010 at 9:12 AM
In CAW, it's easy - no need for a tutorial. Terrain > Terrain Painting Tools > Paint. Add Layer, name it, choose a DDS texture (there's some you can use or edit in the CAW Resources forum) and choose a sound that the sims' footsteps will make when they walk on it.

Layers of terrain paints truly are layers... the first one in the list will show up under other ones, which will paint on top, so you need to plan your layers carefully. I usually do rock, dirt, grass, sand - in that order (with dark/light/medium versions of each, sometimes).

Making a terrain paint to work in-game is only slightly more complicated. You can use S3OC and use the same texture you used in CAW, to get matching terrain paints. There's instructions here: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=384197

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 20th Dec 2010 at 9:42 AM
Crap I always overlook the obvious. I forgot to search the help forums I've been searching for tutorials .

I must be the most annoying member ever lol. I'll make it up to you one day .

Thanks for the linkies!! :D
I'm going to check them out now and see what I can do :D

Jade Elizabeth (Alundra)
Just call me Al
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#4 Old 20th Dec 2010 at 11:30 AM
Seems I can do it!! :D

Thanks heaps for your help!!

Just one quick question so I don't create a new thread for something small. Is there a quicker way of moving the camera in CAW? It's really irritating with how slow it moves. I've tried pressing shift but it doesnt really help much. I'd be happy if there was a move hand or some way to zoom in and out to bigger amounts. Hell I'll edit the actual CAW files if I can somehow make it move around faster..

Jade Elizabeth (Alundra)
Just call me Al
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#5 Old 20th Dec 2010 at 11:52 AM
Shift speeds the camera up. You can also combine moving methods (w + up arrow + scroll wheel + shift) to move even faster, assuming you have enough hands to do it.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#6 Old 20th Dec 2010 at 1:51 PM
I think I figured it out, if I hold the left mouse button down, use the arrow keys, and move my mouse in the direction I want it pretty much doubles the speed :D.

I had been trying to get it, I got this method by fluke .

Jade Elizabeth (Alundra)
Just call me Al
Field Researcher
#7 Old 20th Apr 2017 at 2:51 PM
Quote: Originally posted by HystericalParoxysm
In CAW, it's easy - no need for a tutorial. Terrain > Terrain Painting Tools > Paint. Add Layer, name it, choose a DDS texture (there's some you can use or edit in the CAW Resources forum) and choose a sound that the sims' footsteps will make when they walk on it.

Layers of terrain paints truly are layers... the first one in the list will show up under other ones, which will paint on top, so you need to plan your layers carefully. I usually do rock, dirt, grass, sand - in that order (with dark/light/medium versions of each, sometimes).

Making a terrain paint to work in-game is only slightly more complicated. You can use S3OC and use the same texture you used in CAW, to get matching terrain paints. There's instructions here: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=384197
Is it ok to do grass then rock, sand and dirt last?
dodgy builder
#8 Old 20th Apr 2017 at 4:37 PM
Quote: Originally posted by lloyd118
Is it ok to do grass then rock, sand and dirt last?

Everything is ok Lloyd, but it depends on what you want to achieve, and what it will look like in game. Usually there is grass first, and I don't just replace that, it may be because I'm lazy, but it will usually be hidden under the other layers anyway.
Field Researcher
#9 Old 20th Apr 2017 at 5:53 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Volvenom
Everything is ok Lloyd, but it depends on what you want to achieve, and what it will look like in game. Usually there is grass first, and I don't just replace that, it may be because I'm lazy, but it will usually be hidden under the other layers anyway.
I'm having serious issues with my paint anyway, the sounds dont work properly its so frustrating no one has had this problem