Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 8th Aug 2017 at 10:40 PM Last edited by Florentzina : 9th Aug 2017 at 7:08 PM. Reason: Corrected the Link. Forgot Html
Playing an "Insane/Crazy" Sim
For those of you who play asylume challenge may relate to this thread, where you put sims in a house with limited objects and don't play them, making them go "insane", from lowered motives and aspiration failures. The details below is about playing sims like that while controlling them.

While, I don't and never played the actual challenge, I am inspired to do something similar, because I use a Religious Mod (the ACR G-rated friendly version by Chris Hatch modified by Almighty Hat) where certain social behaviors affect certain types of faiths (mine is very simplified: Evil, Neutral and Good based on their personality. Neutral sims cannot fight or steal. Good/Nice sims cannot do anything rude towards other and Evil sims can do whatever they want). IF they try to do something, such as a nice sim throwing tantrums, I get pop ups where the sim is saying that the path is blocking him/her.

This make it a bit harder for me to simply lock a sim into a room as they will constantly complain...unless they are grouchy, which I am not so keen of seeing by a 8 sims or so household and recently, I have added random events for my sims, one per season (medieval charter challenge one that I've extended), where one of the rolls can decide when ANY sim will go insane or get a chronic disease. The asylum challenge is very similar to this and I know that TS3 has a insane trait. But If you MUST control your sims: How would control these sims who are insane (In a simulated way?)

The only idea I have is draining their motives to red manually with hacks like the Sim-blender, because aspiration failures and peeing yourself is not a social behavior and doesn't affect mods like this... but they feels a bit boring and annoying to do ALL the time. Unlike the challenge, I plan to move sims to this in a house where they DO have a personal room with the essential objects. Otherwise I get the "My path is blocked. Can Evy the Good (name for my nice deity) help me with my path" messages, constantly.

Advertisement
Forum Resident
#2 Old 9th Aug 2017 at 6:29 AM
Hmmm. I would say it mostly depends on what you would consider insane and the time period you're playing in.

But here a few suggestions for sims:
1. Just have them sit in a chair and stare at the wall for a while. Don't let them communicate with anyone. They can sit until needs become critical or you can just let events unfold.
2. Isn't it odd that when sims complain, they yell at the sky? Would most people think that's crazy? If your sims are yelling at the sky/the watcher/you, that could be considered a very strange behavior.
3. You can use a random roll for relationship changes. Your sims can flirt outrageously with someone one minute, and beat up a stranger in another.

I can't really think of anything else, but hopefully this gives you some ideas.

For my physical health, I can't eat cheesecake everyday.
For my mental health, I imagine eating cheesecake everyday.
It's a delicate balance.
Mad Poster
#3 Old 9th Aug 2017 at 3:17 PM
I thought they were all a bit crazy The stupid things they sometimes do - if it is possible, just make them do those more often; like setting houses on fire or jumping in rain puddles while there is a thunderstorm going.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 9th Aug 2017 at 3:24 PM
My Sims tell me it's bad enough having to put up with an insane/crazy player, without me putting insane/crazy Sims in the game beside them.

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Scholar
Original Poster
#5 Old 9th Aug 2017 at 4:23 PM
Andrew Gloria Before I knew about corruptions, I was far worse with what I do with the simmies.

It was a random roll from another challenges that I were inspired to add it to the hood. Just getting sick or end up in jail are much easier to simulate as it probably doesn't affect the way a sim behave. My game is rather modded, so I've already removed many of the "stupid" game behaviors sims do sometimes. Every time an adult sim playing in the bathtub as a pirate, I feel like banging my own head. This was the random roll:

5) Insanity— Sim goes insane for 4 days. Must go to Almshouse or Monastery for treatment, which is to attain Lifelong Happiness and Anger Management. Roll to see if:
A) Sim is released and returns home (Roll an even number)
B) Sim is permanently insane and remains in the Almshouse/Monastery for life (Roll an odd number)

and it's B option I got. Death, Poverty, Diseases, Disasters, Pregnancies etc happens every day to these sims, so adding this make sense. I guess the aspiration failure in normal game-play relates to this the most. I.e. romance sims who constantly get their "have a baby" fear filled is very common in my game, because I don't allow conceptions as I play a historical theme.

Being mental ill does happen in real life, so I don't think the time period matters. Pregnancies, Marriage custom and Electricity are only the main thing I am a bit picky with. I.e. even in modern times, I doubt mental hospitals allow patients to have plasma tv's, luxury/comfortable beds or hot tubes.
Forum Resident
#6 Old 9th Aug 2017 at 5:52 PM
I've used the grilled cheese aspiration for cult sims and as a secondary for sims that had a high interest in food, but I think the aspiration could also be used as a symptom of mental illness. The sim would have developed an unhealthy obsession with Grilled Cheese - get the aspiration low and have them fail with the reward to change aspirations to get the grilled cheese aspiration. It would certainly affect their want panel and conversations with other sims, and they can also paint pictures of grilled cheese.
Scholar
Original Poster
#7 Old 9th Aug 2017 at 5:59 PM Last edited by Florentzina : 9th Aug 2017 at 7:05 PM.
My cult sims are usually knowledge or romance if they are criminal unless I randomize something else but found Grilled cheese too "wacky" for healthy, "normal" Sims. I probably use it one some of them, particularly teenagers who got this dreaded roll as I haven't given them 2nd aspiration yet.

EDIT: Ended up with 12 sims who will turn insane (permanently) for the coming rotation, so I probably will have them live in one building, as well 10 other sims who got a fortunate roll where they only stay in a hospital or monastery for one rotation (1 season, 5 days = 5 years).
(....or well, not sure if they are so fortunate, one sim was traumatized from kidnapping, another was sexually cheated on.. The rest will only moved from home temporary due to temporary mental tantrums or smaller accidents). I use the rolls to give the hood new story lines or events that I otherwise too lazy to create.
Forum Resident
#8 Old 9th Aug 2017 at 6:09 PM
Quote: Originally posted by stitching
I've used the grilled cheese aspiration for cult sims and as a secondary for sims that had a high interest in food, but I think the aspiration could also be used as a symptom of mental illness. The sim would have developed an unhealthy obsession with Grilled Cheese - get the aspiration low and have them fail with the reward to change aspirations to get the grilled cheese aspiration. It would certainly affect their want panel and conversations with other sims, and they can also paint pictures of grilled cheese.
You know, I wonder you can use this almost as a religion. I'm still considering whether or not to download Almighty Hat's Religion Mod, but this might actually work for particularly zealous sims. I might do this to my monastery.

For my physical health, I can't eat cheesecake everyday.
For my mental health, I imagine eating cheesecake everyday.
It's a delicate balance.
Mad Poster
#9 Old 9th Aug 2017 at 6:34 PM
I love it when the playful ones play - with the bath tub, with the fridge door, with whatever