Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
#26 Old 26th Feb 2011 at 5:41 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Maranatah
Several years later I finally got a pc that could handle TS1 (seriously, I had the worst old pc ever before that)
Heh Mine was probably as bad if not worst. Going to community lots was so slow and jaggy, it was like walking in syrup in slow motion. The only way to play the game was live in tiny tiny houses, and not visit the community lots unless I really had to.

I got TS1 when one day, in 2000 my younger brother brought the base game home. I was hooked in an instant.

I heard about TS2 from the TSR forum (I used to hang out there before I found MTS), after finding about TS2 coming out, I had trouble finding the fun in TS1. I got Superstar and Pets from a co-worker who lent me his sisters games, and played them for a few months, until TS2 came, then I switched. I didn't play MM until two summers ago when I brought the complete TS1 box. As great as TS1 was, I just couldn't get the hang of playing it again, because I was so used to seeing my sims up close and not having to constantly use the toilet. Also, I was getting a feeling I want to throw up every time my Sims ate a meal because it was always the same food and just the sight of it made me gag.

I heard about TS3 from this forum, same with TS4 even thou that's still mostly a rumour/wishful thinking.
Advertisement
Test Subject
#27 Old 26th Feb 2011 at 5:42 AM
I found out about Sims 2 when I bought Makin' Magic for Sims 1. It came with a teaser disk about all to cool stuff you would be able to do. Suddenly I didn't want to play Sims 1 anymore, but I didn't have a computer that could run it. I could barely run Sims 1 with the expansions. (I was still using a 233 Mhz Pentium 1 that was showing its age!)

Somewhere between Seasons and Freetime I started hearing about Sims 3 and was curious. Ended up finally getting it from a coworker a couple months ago.

Now I want to play Sims 1 again!
Lab Assistant
#28 Old 26th Feb 2011 at 6:15 AM
my brother told me about TS1 when it was brand new. he said it was outrageous the things you could make people do--make out on the couch, fight--but no one i knew had ever played it.

a while later i just got it in my head that i wanted that game (i wonder if there's something i'm forgetting. it was 10 years ago) but the store i went to didn't have it. i finally got it a few months later and i still remember playing it for the first time, and being up until 3am, then reading in the game manual that players often find themselves hooked at 3 am without even brushing their teeth...

10 years of the sims. that's pretty wild!

pa fights the bear.
Inventor
#29 Old 26th Feb 2011 at 6:47 AM
I do not remember how I first heard about TS1 or TS2. Probably from an online game store. I played TS1 for a while, but remember buying it after it had been out for a while. I even bought some packs that I never got around to playing because I got a new computer and was more interested in playing new games. I was more of a strategy game player.

I almost did not buy TS2 simply because I have never ever liked EA because they have had a reputation for very buggy games. They will take a player's money over and over, yet never finish getting rid of the bugs. I bought TS2 to have a single player game I could get really involved in without ever having to sign up for some online crap.

I don't remember how I heard about TS3. I never bought TS3 and never will. I see how EA treats the customers that have spent a lot of money on their games and expansion packs and decided that I won't ever give them another penny of my money. TS2 will be my very last EA game. Although there are many times I wish I never gave any money to EA for TS2 because I hate supporting companies that count on gamers buying their stuff with no intention of ever making it less buggy. I don't have all the TS2 expansions and never will. I like other types of games, so I will just start playing them again when I get really sick of TS2 or no longer have a computer that is capable of playing it.
Lab Assistant
#30 Old 26th Feb 2011 at 11:37 AM
Lol u guys I never had ever played Sims 1.
It was in the playground one day when my two mates started talking about these Sims. What are sims. I did not know. My mates then told me how glorious iy was, killing elders and making slags do it with all the men. I wanted a copy now! I had recently passed grade 2 violin and my parents said they would treat me to something, so when I got home that day I told them, that I wanted my treat to be Sims 2 Double Deluxe. My dad asked what it was. I said
'Irs a game on the computer that simulates these people callled sims life. Its a 12+ because you can make the sims have sex but Lucy and Amber have it and Amber is even younger than me and I'll promise I won't make them have sex.'
Later that day, we went on the computer. Tesco extra had a copy of it so the next day we drove all the way out to ilkeston to get the disc. And you know the first thing I did on it? I moved the Burbs into one of the lots and made them try for a baby. I was around 9 years old then lol
Theorist
#31 Old 26th Feb 2011 at 12:02 PM
I first knew the Sims from a friend. Heard about later developments (about the new Sims series, EPs, SPs, etc) from game magazines and forums (MTS, to be exact)
Top Secret Researcher
#32 Old 26th Feb 2011 at 1:10 PM
When the original sims was out (with no expansions) I played it at a friends house. We would sit 4-5 people around and make families of ourselves and stuff. After that I was hooked and even got my dad to make a deal with EA trough his company so I got all the expansions for free on release, haha. I even got up at 5 just to play before going to school.

When TS2 came out my dad wasn't able to pick up the copy until a week after so I went out and bought it. He got pretty mad but I sold the other copy to a friend My computer didn't run it properly through so had to buy a new one just for TS2.

I didn't realise there was a new sims (TS3) until about 2-3 months after it was released actually. It certainly does not drag you in as much as it did before for me.
Lab Assistant
#33 Old 26th Feb 2011 at 1:16 PM
OHOHOH i remeber how i discovered the sims2 :D, i had to have an operation on my mouth -- so he brought me the game to cheer me up after, my computer was to old and slow so i had to take it back , like 2 years after i had a new computer and WALAH i got the sims 2, been hooked for 3/4 years :D
Lab Assistant
#34 Old 26th Feb 2011 at 1:33 PM
I knew about TS1 and TS2 only after they were released from a friend. For both, I got introduced to the game at her house first, found that I really liked it (to the point I wanted to go to her house just to play the game) so I bought a copy for myself. I knew about TS3 before it was released from MTS.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#35 Old 26th Feb 2011 at 2:52 PM Last edited by maxon : 26th Feb 2011 at 2:54 PM. Reason: Grammar - dammit.
Quote: Originally posted by FranH
It started with Sim City 2000, and then went into Sims 1.

Oh, I played that and played it and played it and played it. Made more cities than you could shake a stick at! You've reminded me. I was going to say I can't remember how I heard of TS1 but it must have been through SC2000, especially as I started modding that game and got onto the player forums online (must be when I started doing that too - modding and forum-whoring, I mean). I played the original Sim City too - a simpler game obviously but it really had its charming points, especially the video clips.
Field Researcher
#36 Old 26th Feb 2011 at 4:44 PM
I was a huge Sims 1 fan (found it on one of my visits to EB Games when I wanted a new game to play) and got into the downloading/Internet thing with the game for the first time ever. Heard about TS2 when it was announced and got that. Same for TS3.

When their numbers dwindled from 50 to 8, the other dwarves began to suspect...Hungry
Top Secret Researcher
#37 Old 26th Feb 2011 at 5:38 PM
I found out about the original Sims in a discussion on rec.arts.tv.soaps.abc (ratsa) - one of the other users was recreating her favorite soap opera with it.

I found out about Sims 2 on TV, I think. Not sure how I found out about Sims 3; probably also TV.
Field Researcher
#38 Old 26th Feb 2011 at 8:38 PM
I don't really remember why or how, but I remember when I was six or seven renting the Gamecube version of The Sims, and I was hooked. When I was twelve or thirteen, I used my birthday money to buy all of the Sims 1 expansion packs for the computer...although it turned out I couldn't stand that version and it laid on my shelves for a while...then, midst my Death Note(a manga/anime) obsession, I found a video on YouTube of a person making Matt and Mello(two of the characters) alien pregnant on Sims 2. Around that time, I was seeing Sims 2 ads on the back of game manuals, too, so I decided to track it down from there...although Sims 2 ran like crap on my old Compaq computer...so my real Sims obsession didn't come onto full tilt until the last year or so...Sims 3, I actually found out about here. XD
...Wow, that was long and unnecessary.
Theorist
#39 Old 26th Feb 2011 at 8:53 PM
My old best friend from when I was 12 had TS1 and after playing it at her house I asked for it for my birthday. I moved onto TS2 and TS3 as a natural progression, having seen the previews on discs that came with expansion packs from previous games.

"Your life was a liner I voyaged in."
Forum Resident
#40 Old 27th Feb 2011 at 1:28 AM Last edited by zauberlinda12 : 27th Feb 2011 at 3:08 PM.
I was visiting a friend and her kid was playing Sims 1. I asked him what it was all about...he explained it and it intrigued me. I got a Mac as a xmas gift, bought myself the sims 1 complete collection and then sims 2 when it came out. I'm slowly making my way through the EP's. I may move on to sims 3, which I first heard about on this site,...once I upgrade my Mac. But I'm happy with sims 2 for now.

Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited, whereas imagination embraces the entire world, stimulating progress, giving birth to evolution.
Albert Einstein "What Life Means to Einstein"
Inventor
#41 Old 27th Feb 2011 at 3:37 AM
My family got Sims1 sometime shortly after getting our first computer. I remember having a list of chores i had to do daily and get Mom or Dad to initial the paper, which was then good for one hour of computer time, then saving up a few days worth of sheets so i could redeem more than one hour at a time. When i was about 16 my boyfriend lent me all of his expansions since he didn't play much anymore and i really got into Sims then. eventually though he wanted his Unleashed CD back, so i went out and bought Makin' Magic, which had a Sims2 Preview CD. Which i promptly watched and completely fell in love with the game. Can't honestly remember if i heard about Sims3 here, some other place on the Internet, or in an advert included with an Expansion/StuffPack. Still haven't broken down and bought Sims3, but most likely will next time i have some extra money.

I'll stop being anti-social when the rest of the world quits being idiots!

My Own Website! www.violetpadfootscreations.weebly.com
Field Researcher
#42 Old 2nd Mar 2011 at 10:12 PM
I found out about the Sims franchise from my mom, who has been playing since I was a baby. I used to sit in my highchair and watch her play TS1. I wasn't allowed to play, though, until I was about 8. I went behind her back and played it before that, though. Maybe I shouldn't have, so I wouldn't be the obsessed addict I am today. Laugh Out Loud.
Test Subject
#43 Old 2nd Mar 2011 at 11:02 PM
I remember going to a friends place after School, we played the sims 1 for several hours instead of doing homework. With the Sims 2 I knew about it from the making magic box, I think we got a leaflet or something (Can't remember)

Sims 3, I was either on here where I heard about it, or the uk forums. You know the rest, I got addicted lol
#44 Old 4th Mar 2011 at 9:53 PM
A friend showed me Sims Life Stories so I got that then Sims 2.
Scholar
#45 Old 5th Mar 2011 at 9:23 AM
I learned about TS2 through TS1 (and I learned about TS1 through an article in some PC magazine) - I didn't have a powerful enough PC to make TS1 work at that time, so I couldn't play it. By the time I bought a new, good PC, TS2 had been released for some time already, even first few EPs were sold at that time, so of course I bought TS2.
Don't remember through which site I learned about TS3, it was either MTS or the offical Sims site. My excitement about the new game dissapeared when I understood I couldn't play it - my PC once again is not suitable for the game >_< So I remain with TS2 and contnue enjoying it
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#46 Old 15th Sep 2012 at 10:52 AM
wow THIS thread is old xD

~
Field Researcher
#47 Old 15th Sep 2012 at 11:40 AM
I was aware the Sims existed and, like the others said, I didn't think that it would be my kind of game. Then, I bought the Sims 3 for iPod Touch. Everything changed from there-- Just kidding, that game sucked! You couldn't even have kids or build mode! So I was further discouraged from the Sims. Then, at my friend's house, he showed me the Sims and told me that you could remove the pool ladder and everyone would drown. Needless to say, I gave it a try. Donald Schwankies was our first Sim.
Mad Poster
#48 Old 15th Sep 2012 at 11:48 AM
My relatives once bought the console version of sims 2 Pets and that is when I started my sims addiction.
Scholar
#49 Old 15th Sep 2012 at 12:09 PM
My then new boyfriend came to visit me one day and said, seeing me at the PC playing Minesweeper (I was so not cool): "That's not a game! But there's this new game that would be perfect for you." The next time he came over he had The Sims in his hand. That was 12 years ago.
I'm still in love with him.

The best thing about a good thing is that it inspires a better thing. ♥ Receptacle Refugee ♥
#50 Old 15th Sep 2012 at 1:39 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Simsica
My then new boyfriend came to visit me one day and said, seeing me at the PC playing Minesweeper (I was so not cool): "That's not a game! But there's this new game that would be perfect for you." The next time he came over he had The Sims in his hand. That was 12 years ago.
I'm still in love with him.

Aw that's so sweet
I found out about the Sims about a year ago. My friend told me that she had both Sims 2 and Sims 3 and said to watch trailers and pick whatever I liked better. The Sims 2 just seemed more.... I don't know the word for it.. but anyways I just liked it better and stuck with it.
I tried Sims 3 at her house after I got Sims 2 for Christmas, and yes I think Sims 3 is a cool game, I still love Sims 2 and don't plan on switching to Sims 3.
Page 2 of 4