Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 2nd Jan 2007 at 1:29 AM
Default saving problems
i have problem with sims2pack Clean Installer - when i want overwrite the existing one it won't let me to save - save failed and resulted file causes to create empty packages inside own file
the version number 1514 - it up to update
thanks
Advertisement
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#2 Old 3rd Jan 2007 at 7:03 PM
You need to save it as a different file- give it a new name.
Test Subject
#3 Old 5th Jan 2007 at 6:09 PM Last edited by Ksenia : 5th Jan 2007 at 6:15 PM.
When I give a new name all files are empty. What am I supposed to do? Please help
Test Subject
#4 Old 6th Jan 2007 at 11:07 PM Last edited by neirike : 6th Jan 2007 at 11:11 PM. Reason: adding some
Default Empty package?
I pack a house I built with sims2pack Clean Installer and remove some unnecessary recolor files and save as..
BUT !!! every file in there became 'Empty package' ......

What should I do?

I did whole process again, but the result was same.
Please Help~
This is not the first time it happened...

And one more question here.
Sims2pack Clean Installer doesn't seem to pack custome roofs, fences and beddings... Everytime I pack a house, they weren't packed.
also some files like rugs, sometimes.

Why did it happen? What should I do to solve this problem????
Field Researcher
#5 Old 7th Jan 2007 at 4:34 PM
the same thing has happened to me. And this has only happened recently. I haven't had this problem before. Someone please help us!
The ModFather
retired moderator
#6 Old 7th Jan 2007 at 7:22 PM
RDS, read THIS POST by MaryLou: it may help.

I've finally started my Journal. Information only, no questions.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

I *DON'T* accept requests, sorry.
The ModFather
retired moderator
#7 Old 7th Jan 2007 at 8:10 PM
Neirike, read THIS POST by MaryLou about correctly repacking a sims2pack file with the Clean Installer.

In the lot there won't be included custom roofs or fences, because they are different from custom objects: the game was designed to manage custom objects and recolours (and include them in the lot), but was NOT designed to deal with custom roofs and fences; we modders forced the game to accept them, but the game just doesn't consider them custom content.

As for the rugs and beddings, I don't know exactly why it happens; but reading MaryLou's post you should be able to add content to the sims2pack, not just remove the unwanted items.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

Test Subject
#8 Old 8th Jan 2007 at 10:13 PM
Thank you very much Numenor.
I read the post and I followed every step there, but the result was the same.
and also one thing I can't understand there.

"2- In the Save as dialog DON'T PUT ANYTHING! Leave it empty!"

This one.
After double click the package file, I diselect unnecessary files, click 'save as..' and in select filename window I put a new name for it. (w/o format ofcourse)
Then, after doing this, 'Save as dialog isn't pop up for me.
I only have two option which are 'save' or 'cancel'.
So I click 'save' and then every file become 'empty package' again.

What should I do now??

And there isn't the way to add content to the sims2pack in the post, so I visited MaryLou's personal homepage, but..... it's not in English!!!

Please, Numenor, help me one more time ... be generous
And I really liked your tutorial for how to make roof!!!!! so I could make some and post them here! It was exciting!!
Hm... speaking of roof.. Could I translate your tutorial for roof in my language and post it in the forum I 'm in???
The ModFather
retired moderator
#9 Old 9th Jan 2007 at 12:31 AM
MaryLou's English sometimes is a bit... rusty

What you have to do, after deselecting the unnecessary files, ir to click "Save as..." and a window named "Select Filename" will pop up; in this window, at the bottom, there are two blank fields: in the first one ("Filename") you write the new name of the package, without any extension; the secon field ("Save as") must remain blank. This is confusing, because we usually use this field to select the desired file format, but not with the Clean Installer: here, that field must remain empty.
Just write the new filename and click the "Save" button, without changing anything else.

As for the translation, yes, you can translate it and post it on your site (please put credits to me and a link to the english tutorial at MTS2); if you give me a link to your site, I will post it on the tutorial.

Field Researcher
#10 Old 9th Jan 2007 at 1:16 AM
Hey Numenor, I have read that psot and follwoed every direction and I am still getting the empty packagaes.
The ModFather
retired moderator
#11 Old 9th Jan 2007 at 9:53 AM
I've just merged two threads about the same problem.

Lobstergirl, read my post just above yours (it was not you that missed it: it's a post coming from the other thread, now merged with this one, so you couldn't see it before )

Test Subject
#12 Old 9th Jan 2007 at 11:21 PM
Thank you, Numenor.
For helping me and allowing the translation.
Of course I will put credits to you and a link to the english tutorial at MTS2.

The problem about sims2pack Clean Installer is,,, still unsolved...
although I did all you said to do.
This doesn't happen all the time but sometimes, but still annoying..
So I think sims2pack Clean Installer need upgrade or something sinsce it doesn't happen only to me.

Thank you again~
Field Researcher
#13 Old 10th Jan 2007 at 2:29 AM
Quote: Originally posted by neirike
Thank you, Numenor.
For helping me and allowing the translation.
Of course I will put credits to you and a link to the english tutorial at MTS2.

The problem about sims2pack Clean Installer is,,, still unsolved...
although I did all you said to do.
This doesn't happen all the time but sometimes, but still annoying..
So I think sims2pack Clean Installer need upgrade or something sinsce it doesn't happen only to me.

Thank you again~

Still the same thing here. Except mine never works. I am so thinking they need an upgrade.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#14 Old 11th Jan 2007 at 7:44 PM
Well, the Clean Installer is now unsupported so I don't think an upgrade is likely. However if you are referring to the packaging problems since Pets, then I would advise to wait and see if EA bring out a game patch. It may help this issue, although of course that is not guaranteed!
Test Subject
#15 Old 13th Jan 2007 at 11:01 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
Well, the Clean Installer is now unsupported so I don't think an upgrade is likely. However if you are referring to the packaging problems since Pets, then I would advise to wait and see if EA bring out a game patch. It may help this issue, although of course that is not guaranteed!
Clean Installer is now unsupported when they should be suppored?
Well, I'm really sorry about it...
and I have only the original sims2, no other expention pack, then the problem I mentioned above sometimes occered!
This is more problem..
Problem.. problem.. problem....

I really think that this programe is the one of finest sims2 suppored program though.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#16 Old 14th Jan 2007 at 12:52 PM
The Clean Installer is not made by EA Games, it was made by a modder in the Sims 2 Communty, and has always been hosted by this site. It still remains useful though.
Test Subject
#17 Old 14th Jan 2007 at 10:40 PM
Hi,
I'm want to upload a Sim, but there are some .package files that I want to remove because they are donation and of course I don't want to redistribute them. I followed MaryLou's tutorial, read it through about 10 times but it still doesn't work for me (still the "Empty Package" files). I read Numenor's post for clearing the MaryLou's post a bit too.
Maybe the files I'm trying to remove are not meshes or is it another problem?
Forum Resident
#18 Old 15th Jan 2007 at 8:58 PM Last edited by khakidoo : 15th Jan 2007 at 9:08 PM.
I get the empty package problem too... and a few people who download my lots say they get the problem too...
I had the problem before pets....

I also have the problem of only some of my CC items being included in the packaged lot at all....

and most recently, today I had a problem where the object recolors... only the recolors were renamed while going "thru" the clean installer.... no biggie right.... BUT the lot with the renamed packages made my game grind to a halt.... I've attached the lot with the renamed files if anyone wants to witness the massive slowing of the game.... in fact i'll add the last version I packaged before the renamed recolors... thing happened.... ... to see if their is a difference in the CC preview option below....

this lot had actually been approved and luckily I went back into my game and noticed the slowing... did a little testing and when the same "renamed packages" lot slowed an entirely new empty neighborhood to a halt I new it had something to do with well.... something .. and I ended up deleting the whole post before (hopefully) anyone downloaded it....
The recolor description however remains the same... you can see it in the little magnifying glass here on MTS2(or click view custom content at .rar below) that lets you see what CC is in a .rar

Notice the preview pic is the same for both packages

Package Before:

After:

I understand that the Clean Installer is unsupported.... but isn't there anyone who could "re-make" it.... so that it could be supported?.... It takes me an extra 3 to 4 hours to prepare my lots for upload because of the problems I have with the clean installer.... I end up having to:

package the lot....
emptying out my entire downloads folder....
install the lot (without renaming ever or else I get an empty package)
check the lot to see which cc items didn't get included....
hunt down in my temporary downloads folder the items unincluded
-- or go find them again here or in my .rars storage if I haven't cleared it out yet...
re-install those cc items into the downloads...
manually remove cc items not needed in final upload...
recheck that lot is running right...
package missed CC into seperate .rar
re-package lot with only needed CC (except missing CC see above item)

after doing all that and then dang if all the recolor files got re-named this time....

won't someone please make a more current version of the clean - installer?

Click " view custom content " below to see the difference....
Attached files:
File Type: rar  2) Parker's Pennsylvania Place.rar (8.97 MB, 12 downloads) - View custom content
File Type: rar  dp 2_001.rar (8.16 MB, 21 downloads) - View custom content

Subtle In Spades
Mad Poster
#19 Old 16th Jan 2007 at 2:49 AM
If the custom content packages themselves have non-standard English characters or symbols in their external names, empty packages can result with the use of the clean installer.
The trouble-shooting is to check out the last file in Clean Installer window.
This's a clean-installer-specific problem, I believe.

yet, if special characters are the norm, then it's better sorted out by search or find. Should file renaming be necessary, some renamer freeware programme may help in such cases.
Instructor
#20 Old 2nd Apr 2007 at 2:58 PM
Are there any other programs out there that are similar to clean installer?
Part-time Hermit
#21 Old 2nd Apr 2007 at 3:03 PM
No, I don't think there are at the moment.
Lab Assistant
#22 Old 11th Apr 2007 at 10:10 AM
Hi in this post I wrote about the "empty Package" problem, I hope it helps

http://www.modthesims2.com/member/s...ad.php?t=200668