Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Forum Resident
#151 Old 24th May 2016 at 6:03 AM
Irwin Ashdown was one of the strangest peasants around. Two years ago, the young man had stumbled into Aberyst with only the bloodstained clothes on his back and two small bundles clutched to his chest. The local almshouse had taken the father and his infants twin sons in while Irwin got on his feet. He found a job fishing at the local docks. But there were many questions asked of Irwin by townspeople that he couldn't answer.

Who was the mother?
Where was the mother?
Why were your clothes bloody?
Where did you come from?
Where did you get the scars from?

Irwin never answered and it only inflamed the rumors over him and his children over the years. Hearing the announcement from Squire Halle was a sign. He and his sons could have a new start without rumors and whispers hanging over their heads. Irwin could only hope the small settlement wouldn't be noticed by outside forces. He didn't know if he could live through it all again....

(I'll let you guess what happened to poor Irwin.) Irwin, and his twin sons, Jackson and Howard, are the settlement's fishermen. This is Irwin's peasant cottage. All the buildings look the same for the peasants. His house is the only one with a pond in the back.
Screenshots

For my physical health, I can't eat cheesecake everyday.
For my mental health, I imagine eating cheesecake everyday.
It's a delicate balance.
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#152 Old 24th May 2016 at 6:25 AM
Velma Rolfe was a weary old woman. She and her husband, Haylan, had raised three healthy children after their marriage, but it had not been an easy time for any of them. Haylan was a shameless flirt and Velma could only hope her children were his only children. She hadn't wanted to marry Haylan even if she'd loved him. Their wedding had been forced by Haylan's father after Velma had fallen pregnant with her eldest daughter Beverly. Why would she want to marry such a womanizer? Still she loved the old fool.

Her eldest, Beverly, was an accomplished midwife. Velma's only living son, John, was a learning his father's healing trade. Yet, to Velma's despair, both of them were like their father. John flirted with any girl that walked by and Beverly spent her days flirting and lazying about. Velma could only hope for her youngest child, Norma. The girl had a good head on her shoulders. A budding midwife like her sister, Norma was like Velma and Haylan's spinster sister, Laila. Curious, intelligent, and driven. Velma would need to keep an eye out and see if she could find her youngest a husband in a higher caste.

From Left to Right: Norma, John, Laila (who will be leaving to work in Squire Halle's household), Haylan (the healer), Velma, and Beverly (the midwife). The family are foragers and have various bushes and mushroom in the bit of wood behind their home.
Screenshots

It's a delicate balance.
Forum Resident
#153 Old 24th May 2016 at 6:41 AM
UGH. All my peasant families are big with exception of the Ashdowns. Here are the Carews.

Four. Robyn couldn't believe it, but it was true. His wife had died giving birth to the last, but he prayed she'd leave him the one thing he needed. Unfortunately, he was wrong.

Four. Four daughters. Robyn couldn't believe he was stuck without an heir. He and his wife had tried frequently. Her last two pregnancies hadn't ended well, and now that she was gone, he was left with four daughters. Lily, Rose, Marigold and Suzette were his world but four daughters meant at least two dowries! If his younger two didn't find husbands willing to take them without the dowries, they'd be forced into servitude. He had no money for apprenticeships and few would even take the girls!

Matters were only worse because Robyn's father, Wayne, needed a dowry for Robyn's younger sister, Willow. Robyn could barely look his father in the eye. Because now, Robyn would need to remarry and pray that his new bride would give him a much needed son.
(I couldn't stop laughing after I rolled for this family. I couldn't believe I had so many girls!)

From left to right: Willow (in the back), Rose, Suzette, Robyn, Lily, Wayne, and Marigold.
Screenshots

It's a delicate balance.
Forum Resident
#154 Old 24th May 2016 at 7:02 AM
And finally the last family is the Bigge family.

Letha Bigge was absolutely furious. She couldn't believe her parents, Sherman and Ivy, and her stupid brother, Sawyer had taken her away from Aberyst! Her entire life was in Aberyst and she'd had so many plans. She didn't plan to keep finding kindling and digging for sticks in the forest all her life like her family. No! Letha Bigge had plans!

Knight Ethan Brightstone had always flirted and charmed Letha. She had always blushed and played hard to get with the older man. He hadn't cared that she was some peasant girl! And now, because her brother discovered her and Lord Brightstone fooling around in the castle stable, Sawyer was dragging her and their parents off to the middle of nowhere! Her stupid brother had destroyed her plans to move up into the gentry!

Still, Squire Halle was quite handsome....
(Don't I know it.)

My woodcutters from left to right: Walden, Sawyer, Sherrod, Ivy, Kolby, Sherman, Evelyn, and Letha. (I've got one interesting neighborhood ahead of me.)
Screenshots

It's a delicate balance.
Instructor
#155 Old 25th May 2016 at 11:49 PM
@Alia - Can't imagine why you think you can't tell a story as well as me. This sounds like a fascinating neighborhood. I am guessing that Irwin's boys have no mother, that he was abducted by Others. But scars and bloody clothes? WHAT did they do to him? Looks like you have a serious shortage of women. Robyn shouldn't have any trouble marrying off his girls when the time comes. Maybe he could trade 2 of his girls for one of the Bigge boys and then adopt the boy? Looking forward to hearing what happens with this group.

@vllygrl - Hope your father is feeling better soon. I actually found mead-making equipment. At PBK in the Skyrim conversion thread. Don't think any of it is actually functional but it does have piece called a brewer. I will be investigating it todayl
Forum Resident
#156 Old 26th May 2016 at 2:16 AM
Quote: Originally posted by hedgekat
@Alia - Can't imagine why you think you can't tell a story as well as me. This sounds like a fascinating neighborhood. I am guessing that Irwin's boys have no mother, that he was abducted by Others. But scars and bloody clothes? WHAT did they do to him? Looks like you have a serious shortage of women. Robyn shouldn't have any trouble marrying off his girls when the time comes. Maybe he could trade 2 of his girls for one of the Bigge boys and then adopt the boy? Looking forward to hearing what happens with this group.

@vllygrl - Hope your father is feeling better soon. I actually found mead-making equipment. At PBK in the Skyrim conversion thread. Don't think any of it is actually functional but it does have piece called a brewer. I will be investigating it todayl

@hedgekat I'm actually in the middle of building an almshouse. It'll house 8 women (7 marriageable) that are part of a voluntary cloister. I'm slowly writing a few additional rules for my sims where an almshouse may be critical for their survival. I have the ladies' names and personalities chosen. Hopefully, I can get Halle married off ASAP. And I actually plan for Robyn to get remarried. But if he doesn't have a son with his new wife, he's screwed. There will be no one to really inherit the lot. I'll have to go over inheritance laws for Fiddleford (I think i forgot to tell everyone the name of this place. lol). I'm also planning a military barracks though I'm not in a hurry to build. I already have a few guys looking for wives. The almshouse is most important.

And yes poor Irwin is the mother of his twins. The Others are what I'm currently calling people from South of Aberyst. I'm already making expansion and story plans! They're a rough group. I can tell you that much.

And the mead making equipment? HOW DID I MISS THAT?! Please tell me how it goes! I was thinking about trying something with the witch's cauldron (maybe stripping all but the stirring interaction) as it seems to work like a crafting station.

@vllygrl Like Hedgekat, I hope your dad is doing well. I'll keep him in my thoughts. Also, I made excel sheets for the Household Financial Records. I made one for each social class!

It's a delicate balance.
Forum Resident
#157 Old 1st Jul 2016 at 5:44 PM Last edited by AliaD85 : 1st Jul 2016 at 10:54 PM.
So here are some updates on the Fiddleford neighborhood so far! And let me tell you, some things have just been crazy.

Ashdown (Peasantry):

Squire Hale (Gentry):

Layton/Leyton/Browne (Yeomanry):

Rolfe (Peasantry):

Hunniset (Yeomanry):

Bigge (Peasantry):

Carew (Peasantry):

It's a delicate balance.
Instructor
#158 Old 29th Jul 2016 at 1:58 AM
@Alia delightful update. I enjoyed the read. Guess I need to write up mine.
Forum Resident
#159 Old 8th Aug 2016 at 5:07 PM
Short update: I'm afraid I have to kill my poor Royal Steward. He keeps stealing newspapers and I need that action for criminal charges later. Thankfully I haven't finished all my lot rotations yet so I can put in a new one.

It's a delicate balance.
Forum Resident
#161 Old 14th Nov 2016 at 7:59 PM
@PlatinumPlumbbob I'm sort of unhappy with my own Royal castle. I downloaded it from ModTheSims but I'm a bit unhappy with it. I guess it's just the historical accuracy messing with me. I have a bad feeling that I'll be creating a small group of lots for one castle. The lot set up was both fun and a bit challenging. There is plenty of peasant deco outside my peasants' and Yeoman cottages simply to equal up to $15k and $35k. The Gentry plot was actually the easiest.

I had a couple of interesting household setups as well. Especially the Layton/Browne household. I actually used the Sim Blender for it as I didn't want extra sims that I'd have to kill. And I promise that your first season will be hard even with a free season. I'll be reporting it soon, but most of my peasants and at least one of my yeoman will not be able to pay rent and/or taxes. It's just impossible at this point.

And I have large families too. Most of my peasants have large households. I've just learned to shuffle beds and buy them as money comes in. They're cheap floor beds for my peasants, but it still costs money they don't have.

My next plan is to build a lot for my Noble families, but it's hit a road block. I need some type of floor plan to build a proper lot for them, and I can't find one anywhere!

It's a delicate balance.
Forum Resident
#163 Old 31st May 2017 at 5:46 AM
So, quick question for anyone playing this challenge. Can you use business perks? I know the one for money is pretty much out of the question, but what about the others?

It's a delicate balance.
Instructor
Original Poster
#164 Old 17th Jun 2017 at 11:40 PM
Sorry for the late reply Alia, but just wanted to say I use 'em! Even the money one -- they usually fit into my back story somehow, lol!

Find all of my Challenges in MTS Sims 2 Challenges "Ye Olde" Section:
Vllygrl's By George! Regency Play Style/Challenge; Regency/Victorian ROS;
The Medieval Charter Challenge & ROS for MCC;
The Crown of Laurels Challenge; & Besieged! New Medieval Challenge & Medieval ROS.
Forum Resident
#165 Old 18th Jun 2017 at 12:24 AM
Thanks! I doubt I'll use the money perk for my peasants or yeoman. Perhaps my merchant (when I'm closer to a settlement) can get it and be taxed for a small amount of the award money.

I'm trying to be kind but cruel to my sims. One sim found a valuable item during a hike and had to give half of it's value to the crown! However, I was gentle for the first season as no one but my Squire had to pay rent (though they all paid taxes). Still, it was enough for a Village Green. I feel accomplished!

It's a delicate balance.
Instructor
Original Poster
#166 Old 18th Jun 2017 at 4:16 PM
Well done Alia! I should have clarified I meant Merchants could claim perks - I probably wouldn't allow it for yeomen and definitely not for peasants, lol! And of course it would be taxable!!!

The Crown of Laurels Challenge; & Besieged! New Medieval Challenge & Medieval ROS.
Mad Poster
#167 Old 18th Jun 2017 at 10:49 PM
Why so many disagrees?
Instructor
Original Poster
#168 Old 19th Jun 2017 at 5:30 AM
If you mean the ones on the first post in this thread, SneakyWingPhoenix, I'm really not sure why. Sometimes it is a mystery just exactly what the disagreerers are disagreeing with. Sigh.

Test Subject
#169 Old 5th Feb 2018 at 2:46 PM
I don't think I've posted here before, but I actually started and COMPLETED this challenge! 8D I've now moved into the Warwickshire playstyle. Lurking here again, I noticed that this thread has been pushed to the second page, and I just want to bump it back up because even if this community isn't super active anymore, the challenge is still super fun in and of itself - and a great beginning to Warwickshire. xD

My Sims 2 Test of Time Challenge Blog - Here - Updated 6-10-2015
Instructor
Original Poster
#170 Old 5th Feb 2018 at 5:41 PM Last edited by vllygrl : 5th Feb 2018 at 5:49 PM. Reason: spelling?!
Hey, faerie6099! :lovestruc That is fantastic and so exciting to hear that you've completed the challenge!!! Moving into the Warwickshire playstyle is something that M3g7e and I have encouraged for years - the MCC & the Warwickshire fit together really well -- she'll be glad to hear your plan!

Thanks for bumping -- funnily enough, every week I get Box updates that people are still downloading The MCC, my Medieval ROS, Beseiged!, and A Twelvemonth of Medieval Challenges, so I know that although they may be very quiet about it, there are lots of Medieval players out there -- Warwickshire, MCC and otherwise, so here's a shout-out to all of you: drop into this thread and tell us what you're up to with your Medieval Playstyles!

Thanks so much for your words, faerie6099 and enjoy your segue into Warwickshire -- you are in for a real treat!

Cheers, Vllygrl

Test Subject
#171 Old 10th Feb 2018 at 8:35 PM
Oooo, what's A Twelvemonth of Medieval Challenges?

Theorist
#172 Old 11th Feb 2018 at 12:34 AM
@faerie6099
You'll find it here: http://modthesims.info/t/490704

I'm not into medieval playstyle but the medieval charter challenge sounds interesting.
Instructor
Original Poster
#173 Old 11th Feb 2018 at 4:28 AM
Thanks Essa, I had a lot of fun creating it and have had some great feedback from those who have played it! Faerie6099 I hope you enjoy having a look at the Twelvemonth of Medieval challenges, and you can also find my Medieval ROS for the MCC here: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=441695
Happy Simming,
Vllygrl

Test Subject
#174 Old 14th Feb 2018 at 4:37 PM
Thank you both! ^__^

Test Subject
#175 Old 18th Feb 2018 at 2:10 PM
My version of this is went a little sci-fi. The settlement, New Herion is made up of 9 children born of one of the PT's in my prosperity hood. (any future families added for the MCC will be CAS families) I only have two peasant and one yeoman family to start since I used in game sims to make up the families. The gentry household is a non alien sim banished off planet for repeated assaults and his sister that the aliens have taken in as 'breeders' of new aliens. Each of the lower class families have three people; one male and two females. The female is head of house and each of the sims have rolled for a specialty.
House one is Midwife, fisher, Miner (Miner is a zombie via ROS).
House two is poulterer, woodcutter, and painter. Currently with three Herion babies to care for
Yeoman house is Beekeeper, gardener and culinary career.
The gentry household, I allowed the sim to keep his job in architecture since the aliens want him to design the colony in the back story and there is no imminent war/skirmishes, however his is the only one allowed that. His sister is the foundling home founder. They have 4 Herion babies to care for.
For maximum diversity this is used as a breeding colony so each sim is impregnated by another alien sim outside their household as determined by the High Herion (aka me and simblender and whole bunch of charts). Once the hamlet has enough diversity so that not everyone is related via the alien pollination tech they will move from sibling birthing groups insemination to romantic relationships. However, the Herions are ashamed they must use other races to keep theirs alive and have draconian rules determining what babies are true Herions. Any baby sims lacking the alien skin tone are sent to the foundling home. (I thought this would get me some cool diversity for my other subhoods and keep each family to a reasonable number of kids) There are currently 9 kids in the foundling home. Those with standard sim skin types may be able to go to my main hood. Those with alien skin tones but not the Herion skintone may go to the moon base downtown where the aliens are not ostracized or the circus shopping district where most of my supernaturals end up.
Due to the Gentry's luck in ROS and his general greed, the settlement has turned into a hamlet and the matriarch of one of the peasant families has a writ of the Title Squire but still lives in her hovel.
Page 7 of 11