Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
Original Poster
#26 Old 10th Apr 2010 at 7:10 PM
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#27 Old 10th Apr 2010 at 7:48 PM
Is the normals / smooth groups two seperate indicators? It might also be that your normals need to be recalculated in MS if you don't bring them in. I'm at a loss of how to do this in MS though. It might just be that your faces are the wrong way around which means you don't see them as you would like to in the 3D view.
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#28 Old 10th Apr 2010 at 8:06 PM
I've attached what my default settings are for exporting with Wings, I do notice that my tesselation is not set. That could explain some of my issues with SimPE for TS2.

So in wings if you preview it does it have the hard edges? Is it solid grey or more of a gradient? When auto smooth is done or when you set the edges to hard they become orange. I always use autosmooth with a combination of hardness on the edges in Wings, since it is much easier than Milkshape.

I did a quick test of a box, and if I don't use autosmooth in Wings it gives me that same odd shading in Milkshape as yours.

In Wings select your object with the last triangle selected (the one for the whole mesh and not faces - fourth one) then right click/autosmooth. Then try exporting with the normals/smoothing group checked. If that doesn't work upload your mesh.
Screenshots
Scholar
Original Poster
#29 Old 10th Apr 2010 at 8:28 PM
In Wings, it has hard edges. It isn't smoothed at all, that's why I don't know why it appears smoothed in Milkshape. It is a solid gray in Wings. It only shows that gradient-type shading in Milkshape.

HL: I did what you said to do. That worked quite well, even though it has a small amount of shading on the little blue flap thing on the left side of the actual flag (the rectangle-shaped thing on my pennant at the top left of it). I can deal with that. I'm just glad it's not smoothed anymore. Thanks so much!

Me? Sarcastic? Never.
#30 Old 10th Apr 2010 at 8:59 PM
Much better! The autosmooth does a nice job in Wings, but if you need to fix a small area you can do that too. You could select just that square piece holding the pennant, select edge, then right click hardness/hard. That will sharpen just the edges specified.
Scholar
Original Poster
#31 Old 10th Apr 2010 at 9:14 PM
Oh great! That worked perfectly! Thanks for all of your help HL. I really appreciate it. It's perfect now. Thanks!
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#32 Old 10th Apr 2010 at 9:30 PM
Just to add, blender users have the same problem – apparently it's because blender and Wings (and other editors as well, I suppose) can distinguish between hard and smooth edges but Milkshape cannot, so this info gets lost when you go through Milkshape and somehow everything defaults to smooth when you don't prevent it. Maybe the approach HL is using – exporting the tesselation and smooth groups from Wings – would also work in blender (so far I've always split the edges, which also works but might be overkill).

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.
Alchemist
#33 Old 10th Apr 2010 at 11:15 PM
Umm...Milkshape can distinguish between hard and smooth edges because I'm able to get either using it depending on what I'm looking for and so are most people. Perhaps it does so differently than Blender does but it still does so.
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
#34 Old 11th Apr 2010 at 1:41 AM
It's not that Milkshape may not be able to distinguish between hard and soft edges, but rather that it can't with objects created using a different 3d editor. MS has limitations that I don't see in Wings, namely the whole rotating an object without the edges going soft. I don't see the advantage of duplicating meshes just to rotate stuff. Besides Wings also maps quite well.

Glad you got it all working Brandy. The tesselation in wings will triangulate faces. I am not sure if this is required for TS3, but I'm pretty sure it was for TS2. And the split edge thing, I don't think anything like that is in Wings, but I don't know everything in that either.
Alchemist
#35 Old 11th Apr 2010 at 2:10 AM Last edited by orangemittens : 11th Apr 2010 at 3:12 AM.
lol...and there you go...we all have our favorite and each thinks the one they're using works best for them...obviously...or they wouldn't be using it. It's silly to constantly be trying to put down a popular editing tool that a lot of people use to good effect IMO...especially when the latest putdown involves a factual error. It just grows wearisome and interrupts the main topic of the thread it's posted in.
Alchemist
#36 Old 27th Apr 2010 at 12:22 AM
Sorry for the double post and the bump. Cmo, I wanted to thank you for posting instructions on how to add additional presets to an object using s3pe. Somehow I missed them when you first posted but in reviewing this thread to try and get an idea of how to do it I saw you posted how to do it...I do apologize for my apparent rudeness. But I did it!
Page 2 of 2