Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 10th Jun 2011 at 7:21 PM
Default Blurry Clothing Textures
I just installed TSM and updated it to the latest patch, but when I went to play I noticed that the clothing textures were abnormally blurry and pixelated. I have all the settings maxed out, and I even tried restarting and reinstalling the game several times, but the problem remains.

I know for a fact my computer exceeds the recommended specifications for this game. I have no trouble playing The Sims 3 or other graphics intensive games. The only thing I can think of is that the game is somehow not getting along with my switchable graphics. Video card is an ATI Radeon HD 5650 / Intel HD Graphics. I've made sure that the ATI GPU is active while playing so it's not that I'm forgetting to switch them. Drivers are up to date. And if it matters, I'm running Windows 7 x64 with 6GB RAM and an i5-520 CPU.

Below are two screenshots that illustrate the texture issues. Any suggestions would be appreciated because I don't think I can fully enjoy playing the game at this point.

Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 10th Jun 2011 at 8:28 PM
Looks like something might have went wrong in either the install or patch procedure. Your computer far exceeds mine and I haven't experienced anything like this. There's probably better suggestions, but I think I would uninstall, restart, defrag, restart and make sure graphics are set the way you would when playing (if possible) then reinstall. Run game without patch and see how the graphics look. If all is well, do the patch. Stay away from any custom mods until you have base game running how you like it. Obviously, right? LOL!
Mad Poster
#3 Old 11th Jun 2011 at 12:25 AM
I think some settings on the graphics card are simply interfering with the game displaying stuff correctly. Like the anisotropic filtering (or whatever it is) and those other graphics card options. If these are all set on the card to 16x or 4x or stuff like this, it should be tried setting these to "let the software program decide" or whatever it's called.

MedievalMods and Sims3mods: Dive Cave Reset Fix, Resort Revamp, Industrial Oven Revamp, Will O' Wisp fix, UI Sounds Disabled, No Cars, Gnome Family Planner, Townies Out on the Town, No Martial Arts Clothes, Fast Skilling, etc. http://simsasylum.com/tfm/
Test Subject
#4 Old 11th Jun 2011 at 3:47 AM
have you checked your display options in game? Looks like your settings have been set to the lowest settings possible.
Test Subject
#5 Old 11th Jun 2011 at 5:28 AM
Alright... so I can't read... Since you have already reinstalled obviously that is a dead end. I'm curious if you have tried to run the game with your intel graphics instead of the ATI. I had a look into what I'm running, and I've got Intel integrated graphics. They run the game pretty good, although not at full settings, at least for me. It's a thought, and you've probably already done it...

I've also done some searching on the net about your card and sims medieval.. seems you should be able to play fine, just not with all settings maxed out. If you haven't already, try turning some of the video options down to medium, some can even go to low without impairing the game play.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#6 Old 11th Jun 2011 at 8:41 AM
I can't believe I didn't think to try the game with the Intel GPU. I tried it now and the graphics actually seem to be working normally. The game's not running quite as good as with the ATI which is to be expected, but so far it seems like a much better compromise. Thanks so much for the suggestion!

Also, I did check the settings for AA and anisotropic filtering for the ATI card and they are set to let the application decide. I also tried adjusting other 3D options but it didn't seem to make a difference. At least now I know it's definitely something with the ATI GPU though.

Thanks again for the suggestions guys, I really appreciate it. Hopefully, I'll be able to figure out this issue eventually but until then, at least things are more manageable now.