Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#26 Old 7th Aug 2014 at 6:17 PM
Quote: Originally posted by rogue_55
My Roxie and Jonah also live in a downtown area attached to Widespot, but unlike Peni Griffin’s downtown, mine doesn’t have a name. I never thought to name it, but it’s based on the city of Chicago.

I love Jonah and Roxie. They are a fun couple to play. Jonah is currently a Broadway star in the show business career in my game. Roxie stays home and takes care of their son, who of course I had to name Austin. Austin is a toddler now and he’s adorable. Austin will most likely be a romance sim when he grows up just like his parents. Here is a picture of them.

I hope you have as much fun with Roxie and Jonah as I do no matter what you decide to do with them after they graduate.

Your Roxie and Jonah are so beautiful! I redid mine too, but your's looks awesome. Thanks so much for sharing them. I'm relieved to learn they can go to the n.h. I would hate to lose them.
One of my University Sims, a child of 2 Sims in the N.h., has adopted a stray at the University campus. Will she be able to bring the cat back with her?
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#27 Old 7th Aug 2014 at 7:13 PM
Whoa! Strays don't normally appear on University lots! There must be a hack (an awesome hack!) allowing that, and you'll need to look into how it works. It's probable that you'll need to use a dodge, as with people who use hacks to have babies on campus. Even sims who graduate and move back to the neighborhood at the same time can't go together into the family bin, and cats can't pick up the phone.

The simplest thing would be to invite a friend or relative to the graduation party and give or sell the pet to that sim, who will invite the graduate over and return the pet after graduation. No, wait, if the pet owner has a housemate, the pet can stay, the housemate can invite the graduate back to campus, and give/sell the pet during that visit.

You could also do things with teleporters, but the above uses vanilla game mechanics and should probably be tried first.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Mad Poster
#28 Old 7th Aug 2014 at 8:13 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Pizzatron-9000
And you're right; Sims tend to get some pretty ghastly clothes when they grow up and graduate from one life stage to the next. I've even taken the precaution of buying clothes for the next life stage, like "Lindsay's a child, so I'll buy her some teenager clothes that look really sharp." It doesn't help; Lindsay becomes a teenager and she magically spawns a cream jacket with a blue skirt and brown sandals anyway. But at least that way, I can send her right to the wardrobe and change her into those snazzy clothes that I bought. Too bad the ugly clothes are still in her wardrobe and she can't get rid of them ever.
If mootilda ever does a final version of her Wardrobe Cleaner, that would be a good way to get rid of outfits that your Sims will never wear (again). (The current version only keeps the clothes that are currently selected as outfits in each category and deletes everything else. This is fine if your Sims only ever wear one outfit in each category, but many of my Sims have built up large and varied wardrobes, and frequently use the Plan Outfit action to decide what to wear today. If I used the current version of the Wardrobe Cleaner, and installed University, I fear I wouldn't be long for this world, because my Sims would lynch me and feed me to a cowplant! Some of them have spent thousands of Simoleons on the clothes in their wardrobes, and I wouldn't dare to delete them!

If you're reading this mootilda, my Sims would just love :lovestruc you to make the improved version of your mod! I'll volunteer to test it.)

. . .

An alternative way for your Sims to take their money back to the main 'hood might be to give to their parents to look after for them, using Christianlov's wallet or a cheque account (I can't remember who wrote that). Then, when they've moved back, their parents can give the money back to them. If their parents are dead, or they just don't get on, then hopefully there's someone else in the neighbourhood that they'd trust to look after their money.
Mad Poster
#29 Old 7th Aug 2014 at 8:45 PM
It doesn't do a YA any good to buy Adult clothes, or a teen to buy YA clothes, ahead of time because they leave it all behind when they move in or out of campus. However, if you throw a grad party, and are in their cap and gown when they grow up (as opposed to their swimsuit if they got into the hot tub during the party), you need never see the full horror except in the first loading screen. When my graduates go to the family bin, I immediately move them in somewhere and send them clothes shopping. New college students likewise head to the store, or to the existing wardrobe in their residence, as soon as they arrive.

One thing that's helpful is to download default replacements for the worst outfits. I have a lovely southwestern vest over long-sleeves to replace the bubble vest, for example. One reason I like to have permanent houses at college is that you accumulate a decent wardrobe. Clothes that are impossible for one character may be perfect for another, or two pieces that look terrible together may work with other pieces, on another person.

(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Mad Poster
#30 Old 7th Aug 2014 at 10:22 PM
Peni, is this what you mean by the bubble vest? It's one of Andrew's favourites, even though Julian says it makes him look like Little Boy Blue!

Is it possible for a graduate to move back into the family home after university?
Mad Poster
#31 Old 7th Aug 2014 at 11:08 PM
Oh, absolutely! The ability to merge households comes with University, so you just drag the graduate from the family bin to the parental home, answer yes when it asks if you want to merge the households, and voila! Graduate and $20K household added.

Yes, that's the vest. The vest in and of itself isn't that bad, as it looks a lot like the satin down-stuffed vests that people used to wear in wintertime when I was in high school - but it's worn over a tanktop? What the hey? And the wristbands - nope. The only time that looked right, IMHO, was the time I used it on someone who was designed to look like a refugee from a blaxploitation film, built during my experimental period.

But hey, if Andrew likes it, more power to him.

Field Researcher
#32 Old 8th Aug 2014 at 12:01 AM
I have all EPs and SPs. I don’t ever recall any of my college students moving back to the neighborhood with more than $20,000 per sim. However, I have never made them work to earn money during college. The only money my sims get during college is what they receive for getting good grades at the end of each semester. I have bought things with that money for them to store in their inventories, as some of you mentioned. I usually divide whatever money is there evenly between all of the students before they move back to the neighborhood. Sometimes I forget though.

I have the clothing tool from MATY and I always use it when a sim ages up. I rarely ever like the clothes my sims age into. The clothes they grow up into aren’t necessarily hideous. Sometimes they just aren’t right for the particular sim’s personality.

Sarah’s Jones and Pizzatron 9000, thanks for the compliments on my picture of Roxie, Jonah and Austin. I haven’t played them in a while, because I have been focusing on my Pleasantview neighborhood. I’m pretty sure I will be going back to Widespot soon though.

I didn’t know that strays could go to college lots either. I have never seen any strays roaming around at university, although I have heard dogs barking in the distance. Marsha Brunig got a pet womrat when she was in college. She named it Buffy. Luckily, I remembered to put the womrat in her inventory before she moved back to the neighborhood. I would feel bad if poor Buffy was left behind.
Undead Molten Llama
#33 Old 8th Aug 2014 at 7:23 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Felicia1066
We used to discuss the Apocalypse Challenge in the Boolprop forums, and it's was a common recommendation to make a lot of money in college so you could build your house the way you wanted it when you graduated. Here's a thread as an example:

http://boolprop.prophpbb.com/topic2087.html

You'll notice that in the discussion of ways to make money in uni, nobody mentions any trouble getting the money back home with them. And there'd be no point in spending time making all that money if you couldn't take it with you, right?

I think it's simply that most people don't usually have a single sim in college make more than 20K, so they don't see it... But that's just my guess.

That's possible. As I said, most of mine graduate with a lot less than $20,000, but they always get bumped up to $20,000 in the main neighborhood's family bin. Which, as I said, I fix via the "familyfunds" cheat, so it's not a big deal to me.

On the other hand, I just had a graduate the other day who had been living in a rented house along with her (adult, non-student) husband, her two alien child-age kids that she had as a teen before heading off to college, and the toddler-age kid she had with her husband while in college. (I have Inteen, so I have YA families). They had $33,000-and-some in household funds, most of it what the husband brought into the marriage. When the YA had graduated, I moved out the husband first (Because with a graduating/growing-up YA, you can't move everyone out together.) He appeared in the family bin in the main hood with a portion of that $33,000 in his funds. Went back to the Uni hood and moved out the graduating YA, and the children moved out with her. At move-out, they still had the $33,000 in their household funds because while the game moves out individuals with a percentage of the original household's funds, it doesn't subtract that portion from the original household. Over in the family bin in the main neighborhood...She and the kids had $20,000. So....I don't know. This is what I and many other people see in my/their game. I don't have a clue why others would have different experiences. The only thing I can think of is that different people might have different hacks that affect this, either way, in some manner.

Quote:
ETA: Have you tried the "No 20K handout" from MATY? It makes sims always take their share of the cash on hand when they move out, whether from college or in the main 'hood. I've only recently installed it myself, so it hasn't affected the experiences mentioned above, but I'm liking it so far.

I had it for a while, but it calculates the amount of money move-outs get differently than I want, so I took it out and am back to doing it all manually via familyfunds for the move-outs and via Monique's computer's "Donate money" function to reduce the funds of the original household if I can't adjust them via familyfunds. The latter isn't exact because it only works in $100 increments, but that's more acceptable to me than the percentages that Pescado's mod uses. I suppose I could probably fiddle with the mod to make it do what I want, but my confidence level in doing so without screwing something up is just about nil, so I shy away.

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Muh Simblr! | An index of my downloads on Tumblr.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#34 Old 8th Aug 2014 at 10:28 PM
[QUOTE=Peni Griffin]Whoa! Strays don't normally appear on University lots! There must be a hack (an awesome hack!) allowing that, and you'll need to look into how it works. It's probable that you'll need to use a dodge, as with people who use hacks to have babies on campus. Even sims who graduate and move back to the neighborhood at the same time can't go together into the family bin, and cats can't pick up

As I recall, the stray's name is "Illia", I-L-L-I-A, or something close to that name. The adoptee has waay high interests in pets, as do most Sims on that lot.-that might be the reason the stray showed up on the lot.
If your Sim has high interest in pets, he/she can always 'stroke' - the pet never backs off - and can work and teach easier, esp. if the pet is a genius. Also, I always have litter boxes, beds, feeding bowls, mice, bones, etc., on all my lots, including University lots, as I wasn't aware at the time the lots were placed that there might be a prob. Also, the stray dogs appear at Jonah's et al's lot, at their door/porch. I don't know about the other University lots as I haven't played them long enough or cannot remember. Maybe then, the placement of pet things on lots attracts them, just like on N.h. lots.

On another note,since people were discussing clothing- AnoeskaB has a hack I've used for years with no problem so far. It's a closet (found in earned rewards). You just place your Sim at it and all clothes (Maxis and any you've chosen) are contained there.
It's at the 'pay' site. It's called 'Wardrobe of Wonders." Since you have to 'earn it', it still should work for those who technically want their Sims to 'earn' their way.
Inventor
#35 Old 9th Aug 2014 at 1:04 PM Last edited by Pizzatron-9000 : 9th Aug 2014 at 1:37 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Charity
MATY? Not user friendly? You shock me. XDDD

It's in the Director's Cut. Clothing tool and clothing tool globals.

http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/s.../topic,8.0.html

Thank you.

But yes, I keep going from this to this to...wow. This. Subdirectories within subdirectories. And unless I give Pescado $40 a month (ouch?), it looks like that's as far as I get.

In short, I envy your wizardry.

Quote: Originally posted by Nysha
Pizzatron, the easiest way to do that is to open the sim using the Sim Browser, and then pick the Sim DNA option in the plugin view (it might be under More, I forget). Find the skintone code and replace it with the code for the skintone you want the sim to have.

You'll probably want to copy the correct code from another sim first, unless you're going for S1, S2, S3 or S4 (which are just 00000000-000000-000001 etc, iirc).

Thank you to you too.

I'm getting the hang of it now. I actually started off with the Sim Surgery tool, and I somehow made Reiko the college student look like Tiffany Sampson. So then I figured out what I did wrong, fixed it and gave her the right skin, and that's why Reiko doesn't turn invisible when she's taking a shower anymore. Rassum frassum incomplete skins....

But it's probably Apartment Life, all right. I just moved someone out of a three-person farmhouse in Pleasantview; rather than taking a third of the total house funds (which were around $130,000 at the time), she just moved out and got $20,000 out of thin air. I wonder why AL changed that.

I'll press on with that college experiment, but I'm pretty sure that it'll turn out the same: they leave all of their college funds behind and get a flat $20k. As for how college students can earn more than 20k...it's definitely possible. I think that the record goes to my Gearsmith household, who are all natural Tinkering hobbyists, who all stayed in the Hwang Motors Dorm (my Tinkering dorm) and, after numerous applications of Thinking Caps and Junk Cars, got up to where they were turning profits of over $3,000 or $4,000 for each restored Junk Car. I'd get them all up to A+ grades as soon as each semester started (because never underestimate the power of group research and/or a single phone call to one of your professors when your Social's in the red); after that, they'd spend the rest of the semester (barring the odd outing or vacation) in the dorm's garage, with three of them working on a different Junk Car's body and the other two rotating from engine to engine to engine. They could crank out restored cars and sell them in Buy Mode at a pretty brisk pace by doing that. By their Junior year, I started stashing every fourth restored muscle car into their inventories, seeding the sales inventory for their post-graduation auto sales business, which has since led to even bigger Junk Car profits. They all graduated Summa Cum Laude, they still ended up with somewhere around $90,000 Simoleons to split among the five of them (which they invested into even more Junk Cars right before leaving campus, of course), and their leader even found time to fall in love with Emma Kimbrell (the campus' one female Cow Mascot) and marry her within a week after he graduated. Emma's pregnant with their first kid now (following their honeymoon on Twikki Island), but she still helps Casey and the gang flip Junk Cars in their oversized garage. Oh...and she stopped ventrilo-farting and setting off fire sprinklers too.

Junk Cars. They can lead to great things.
Mad Poster
#36 Old 9th Aug 2014 at 1:31 PM
The stupid lamps turn up way too often for me! I've had four lamps in my megahood already and I'm only on Day 6!

I use no20k handouts, so they get exactly what is in the household funds or a proportion of it up to a maximum of 20k - when I moved Connor Weir out of his house he only got 20k, and the household funds went down by 20k, they were around 50k before. With Pescado's Money Order I just get another playable to send them the right amount of money, which they can recieve while in the sim bin, and then they can buy whatever house they can afford with that.

I use the sims as a psychology simulator...
Field Researcher
#37 Old 9th Aug 2014 at 3:12 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Pizzatron-9000
Thank you.

But yes, I keep going from this to this to...wow. This. Subdirectories within subdirectories. And unless I give Pescado $40 a month (ouch?), it looks like that's as far as I get.

In short, I envy your wizardry.

That's all Pescado's sense of humor. You can go directly here: http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/smf/ and download anything you want without paying a thing. (TS2 stuff is in The Armory, if it was made by Pescado himself.)
Inventor
#38 Old 9th Aug 2014 at 9:32 PM
Well, he certainly had me going. Thank you doubly.
Page 2 of 2