Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 22nd Sep 2014 at 6:53 AM
Default University "Unique Name" Error
This isn't too horrible, but I was wondering if you all have this issue where you give a university in a second neighbourhood the same name as a university in the first neighbourhood, and you get this error saying that you can't have a subhood with the same name as another. I first got this issue today when trying to name my custom university "Crescent Island University". Is there a problem with my game files or something, or is this normal? If it's normal, than it's not too big of an issue. Just curious.
Advertisement
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#2 Old 22nd Sep 2014 at 9:37 AM
That's odd - you can't have a neighbourhood with the same name but sub-hoods shouldn't be a problem. After all, if you just add the standard uni hoods to your neighbourhood, they will have the same names. You can add Sim State (or whatever it is) to any neighbourhood and presumably, even when you have the option to change the name, most people don't.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#3 Old 22nd Sep 2014 at 10:11 AM
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#4 Old 22nd Sep 2014 at 2:17 PM
I can't see that once the neighbourhoods are in place that it would make any difference but I can try adding a Metropolitan and Redbrick university to a test hood if you like.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
Top Secret Researcher
#6 Old 22nd Sep 2014 at 5:04 PM
Did I just do something wrong... because I have two neighborhoods called "Pleasantview" in my game. Both are the fixed templates from Tarlia. One of them has all the file prefixes in them renamed to "N009". The game seems to handle both neighborhoods just fine... I think it gave either N001 or N009 a different neighborhood ID when I first loaded the game to resolve the hood ID conflict.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#7 Old 22nd Sep 2014 at 6:25 PM Last edited by maxon : 22nd Sep 2014 at 6:36 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by JDacapo
Metropolitan and Redbrick?

The two custom universities for Little Carping. I'm just doing a test now.

Edit: Well, I just created a new neighbourhood - Little Carping with its dependent universities Redbrick and Metropolitan are sitting there in the neighbourhoods folder. I then added a university to the new test hood, a custom map called Redbrick. Nothing. To make sure, I added a second university and called it Metropolitan. Nothing. Totally fine. That's the same order, btw, I created the maps for Little Carping.

So whatever is wrong with your neighbourhood would not appear to be a regular issue. At least not for me. Having universities with the same name in different custom hoods seems not to be a problem. I've seen that warning message when I've tried to create a second neighbourhood with the same name (a long while back now). I thought the issue might be with addressing but the game uses GUIDs and NiDS for most things. <shrug> Anyway, AFAICS, you shouldn't be getting that message which indicates that something has gone awry with the neighbourhood. Might be serious, might not. Can't you call the university something else?

Instructor
#8 Old 22nd Sep 2014 at 7:21 PM
That shouldn't of happened for sure, i just created uni for Desiderata and i named the neighbourhood Desiderata Vally University but no error with me, sounds like it's just being buggy.
Theorist
#9 Old 23rd Sep 2014 at 12:13 AM
I made a sub-hood for Strangetown before. I named it Strangetown Suburbs and moved the over flow of generations and grads there after they married. It was one of the Tiny Town templates and mostly the smaller lots. I love the challenge of small lots. Kids can play in the street and once had a wedding with about 20 sims and the arch in the street of a 1x1 lot. Removed it just before the party ended so the limo had room to enter.

When you forgive, you heal. When you let go, you grow.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#10 Old 23rd Sep 2014 at 9:16 PM
Hmm. I hope I didn't corrupt anything. Another weird thing going on in this particular neighbourhood is the way the witches appear... usually the default ones that appear on public lots are the elder Knowledge good witch and the adult blond Romance evil witch. Instead, the adult Family good witch and one of the elder evil witches appear by default, though all three witches in each alignment exist in that neighbourhood. Is this a symptom of neighbourhood or game corruption? It's a new neighbourhood, and the only file I have fooled with is the want trees file.
Field Researcher
#11 Old 24th Sep 2014 at 2:44 AM
Is your custom University from a template, or from scratch? Templates (The ones that come up as a choice when you add a subhood, like the three EA Uni's, or Bluewtaer etc) can share names because the game adds an internal version number when attaching the template to the hood. From scratch made with just a map and not from a template, all need to have unique names. That's how it's always worked for me
Instructor
#12 Old 24th Sep 2014 at 5:29 AM
If your playing the free ultimate collection it's been quite buggy with me too especially in my university, i've seen them go to eat food and then instead of walking to the food they walk to their room then walk back to the kitchen to finally eat the food, even when there are several rubbish shoots around it they forget the bins are even there so there is garbage piles on the grounds sometimes which causes cockrouches and traumatizes my sim, then they go into the shower rooms to go shower and their actions just cancel themselves instead of carrying on into the shower and then they walk back out again until later where they finally shower :\, i think university is just really buggy.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#13 Old 25th Sep 2014 at 8:47 AM
Quote: Originally posted by MattieOReilly
Is your custom University from a template, or from scratch? Templates (The ones that come up as a choice when you add a subhood, like the three EA Uni's, or Bluewtaer etc) can share names because the game adds an internal version number when attaching the template to the hood. From scratch made with just a map and not from a template, all need to have unique names. That's how it's always worked for me

Hmm... that's really weird. This is the first time I have ever encountered it though.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#14 Old 25th Sep 2014 at 11:08 AM
Quote: Originally posted by MattieOReilly

Funny, because my test (above) found exactly the opposite for my game.