Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 10th Sep 2014 at 8:04 PM
Default Can .sim files be read or decompiled?
Given a Sim's .sim file, is there a way to decode it? Specifically, is there a way to work backwards from a .sim file to the definition of their shape in terms of bone deltas, GEOM etc. that were generated in CAS when that Sim was created?

(I know that the game itself can do this, because "Edit in CAS" wouldn't be possible otherwise. What I don't know is whether any off-line tool can.)

(This seems like a question that would have been asked before, but I couldn't find where.)

Thanks very much for any answers.
Advertisement
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
#2 Old 11th Sep 2014 at 12:22 PM
There's currently no tool I know of that can do this.

Please do not PM me with mod, tutorial, or general modding questions or problems; post them in the thread for the mod or tutorial or post them in the appropriate forum.

Visit my blogs for other Sims content:
Online Sims - general mods for Sims 3
Offline Sims - adult mods for Sims 3 and Sims 4
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 11th Sep 2014 at 8:59 PM
Thank you very much!

Does the same answer apply to an exported Sim? That is, a .sim3pack or a .package that's derived from that.
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
#4 Old 12th Sep 2014 at 12:27 PM
Maybe I misunderstood the question? .sim files are really package files containing the outfit definitions for the sim. (You can change the extension to .package and open them with s3pe.) The outfit definitions contain references to all the slider settings, hair, eye, and skin color settings, and a list of references to clothing items with their color and pattern settings, and whatever else makes up the sim's appearance in that outfit. You can extract the outfit files using s3pe. What has come up in the past is people wanting to get the mesh of that particular sim with all the sliders applied, and there's no tool to do that.

As far as I know it's the same with sims bundled into a sims3pack - extract the package and you get the .sim in package form.

Please do not PM me with mod, tutorial, or general modding questions or problems; post them in the thread for the mod or tutorial or post them in the appropriate forum.

Visit my blogs for other Sims content:
Online Sims - general mods for Sims 3
Offline Sims - adult mods for Sims 3 and Sims 4
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 19th Sep 2014 at 12:01 PM
Quote: Originally posted by CmarNYC
Maybe I misunderstood the question? .sim files are really package files containing the outfit definitions for the sim. (You can change the extension to .package and open them with s3pe.) The outfit definitions contain references to all the slider settings, hair, eye, and skin color settings, and a list of references to clothing items with their color and pattern settings, and whatever else makes up the sim's appearance in that outfit. You can extract the outfit files using s3pe. What has come up in the past is people wanting to get the mesh of that particular sim with all the sliders applied, and there's no tool to do that.

As far as I know it's the same with sims bundled into a sims3pack - extract the package and you get the .sim in package form.

If using Windows you can double click it and pick select program from a select list and pick S3PE and make it the default program. That way you don't have to rename it just double click the sim file.

Tim