Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 17th Feb 2012 at 9:53 AM
Gardening Sim: Quit crying all ready!
I was wondering if anyone here could give me some advice, feedback, or perhaps even take pity on me with something I'd like to see done.

I love Gardening in TS3. But plants die, mmkay? They don't live forever. They give lots of harvestables and then it's their time to go.

So why does my Master Gardener sob like a fricking hysterical baby every single time he has to dispose of a plant?!?!?! *Desperately wants to slap him around and knock sense into him after having him dispose of only a few plants!!!*

Okay venting over! Now to find a solution!!

I've just barely dabbled in making Mods. I succeeded in making one for myself for Fishing (changing the option from catching 5 to catching 10) but it's far from perfect. But I'm definitely willing to learn. I've attempted to find the function that causes my Gardener to turn into a blubbering idiot, but I've had no luck.

Can anyone give me suggestions on how to tackle this issue? Or perhaps even take it off my hands and help me with it? Either way would be awesome. I have S3PE and I think I can handle using it fairly well. I've got some basic programming knowledge (I taught myself HTML back in the day) so XML isn't scary to me. I just don't know what the various functions do exactly, or how to find out. Granted, I haven't tried Googling some of them to see what I can find. But basically if they're not marked with a comment, then I'm going blind. I have a feeling what I want is going to be located in more then one file as well, but maybe someone here can help me out?

Thanks in advance!
Advertisement
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#2 Old 17th Feb 2012 at 10:24 AM
Well could it be to do with his personality traits? I can't say I've seen my sims get so worked up over a dead plant

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 17th Feb 2012 at 6:13 PM
Oh my Sim does it every... single... time. He's at level 10 gardening, and his personality traits are Loves the Outdoors, Green Thumb, Lucky, Angler, and Family Oriented. He also has the Super Green Thumb lifetime reward, but he's been blubbering since the beginning I think.

Douglas, I tried to locate the file you mentioned but I guess I don't have any idea where to find it. I know there's a few different types of files you can alter for game mods, and that's one I haven't learned about. Does it look like it would be possible to alter this behavior? If I'm reading the script right it seems to me like it might be possible to remove the crying reaction but leave the thought balloon in place? That might be a good option I think, that way it still looks like they're thinking about the dead plant, but they don't stop to bawl with each plant disposal.

(He will also stop to cry after he's finished tending the garden and there was a plant that died somewhere in the garden. Will that file effect that as well?)

If it seems possible to edit that behavior, then I might be willing to give it a try. That kind of coding just isn't something I'm terribly familiar with though, so I'd be hitting a pretty steep learning curve. But still, I could learn. In the meantime I might just have his wife dispose of his dead plants... x_x heheheh
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#4 Old 17th Feb 2012 at 7:18 PM
Oooohhh okay. Yeah it's my playable Sim. I'd love to figure out a way to change this, if I can. Though the script you posted earlier does give me a couple ideas where else to look for the XML file in S3PE. Thanks for responding, Douglas!
Mad Poster
#5 Old 17th Feb 2012 at 7:57 PM
In the XML titled Plant_0xd2blahblah, about halfway down is the DeadPlantBroadcasterParameters tuning. Possibly it is this broadcaster which the sim is reacting to, and the crying is forced upon the Green Thumb sim. It could be attempted to disable this broadcaster here, although I don't know if this would actually work or not. Probably what I would try first is the SpeciesToEffect which is set to Human. This could be altered to Horse, or Cat or Dog, whichever you prefer.

MedievalMods and Sims3mods: Dive Cave Reset Fix, Resort Revamp, Industrial Oven Revamp, Will O' Wisp fix, UI Sounds Disabled, No Cars, Gnome Family Planner, Townies Out on the Town, No Martial Arts Clothes, Fast Skilling, etc. http://simsasylum.com/tfm/
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#6 Old 17th Feb 2012 at 8:02 PM
Thanks Shimrod! I found the file and I'm going to take a look at it closer and see what I can figure out! Here's hoping it works! :D
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 18th Feb 2012 at 2:17 AM
Good news!! I think I've got a working Mod! There's a line in the XML file about how many sims a dead plant can affect, and it was set for 10. I set it to 0, and just had my Gardening Sim dispose of a couple dead plants... and there were no more tears!

I haven't had a chance to thoroughly test it, and I may not get another chance until Monday. But if it works I think I'll post it here on MTS! Thanks again, Shimrod!
Test Subject
#8 Old 3rd Oct 2012 at 4:38 PM
Was wondering if this was ever turned into a mod I can use in my game?? My Sim has the gardening trait, and I am getting really sick and tired of hearing her cry every time one of the plants dies. I am totally clueless about XML tuning and where to look for these items mentioned above.... don't want to go screw up my game!
Test Subject
#9 Old 12th Sep 2014 at 6:55 PM
Hi, I know it's a bit of and old thread. But I want to do this, but I can't find that 'Plant_0xd2blahblah.xml' file? Where is it located?

Thanks
Forum Resident
#10 Old 15th Sep 2014 at 6:32 AM
GamePlayData.package