Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Alchemist
Original Poster
#26 Old 7th Nov 2009 at 8:08 PM
Sorry again for the double post. I hope no one keeps track of things like that.

I cloned the EA metal frame cheap bed, modified it a tiny bit and saved it as an Obj to get rid of its joints.

I cloned the EA draped bed removed the frame and put my modified EA metal frame there instead. Assigned the joint and saved over the EA draped bed.

Then I tortured one of my Sims by making her hop in and out of the EA metal bed and then do the same in the new bed. She wasn't even that tired.

Surprisingly enough the whole effect isn't too bad for a first try at this although there are bedding issues with it. Here are pics. The first shows the Sim in the EA bed that I used to overwrite the draped bed. The covers are all nice and smooth.

The second shows her in the new bed (which I didn't change the IMG's for so it looks awful) with the bedding changed to be the same color as the metal bed for comparison's sake. You can see how the bedding is all choppy instead of being smooth. Do you think it is because of that bar-like blanket edge I removed? I noticed the metal bed had a similar kind of piece to it but if I'm recalling correctly it was in a group all alone. If that's true the metal bed would be a better clone than this one.

I'm going to check out the metal bed and if it doesn't have that groups issue with the loose piece of blanket I'm going to try again with that. I haven't tried the animations other than sleep so I don't know how those are going to be. But I want to fix the choppy bedding problem first.

You were right Wes...this wasn't nearly as difficult as I was thinking it would be. My brain must be turned on today.

And just in case you aren't sick of hearing it yet...thanks so much darlin'.

OM
Advertisement
Instructor
#27 Old 8th Nov 2009 at 12:31 AM
Thank you Wes for that info, I really appreciate the help you're giving us.

OM, I'm reading ALL the threads and posts, your questions are a big help to me and others, I'm sure.

You can find more of my stuff here: http://www.blackpearlsims.com/downloads.php
Alchemist
#28 Old 8th Nov 2009 at 12:53 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ~Dee~
your questions are a big help to me and others, I'm sure.

That is one reason I do not give much support via PM. If you ask in the forums, everybody can see the answer.

That is also why I dislike the people that delete their thread with the explanation "solved". While that can be appropriate for genuine bug reports, where it was a misunderstanding about how to do something, it is useful for people to be able to see the solutions.

If you like to say what you think, be sure you know which to do first.
Instructor
#29 Old 8th Nov 2009 at 1:16 AM
I totally agree with you Wes, how many times have I followed a thread and before I could read the solution ( because of my time zone) it was deleted.
Very frustrating, thank you Wes.

You can find more of my stuff here: http://www.blackpearlsims.com/downloads.php
Alchemist
Original Poster
#30 Old 8th Nov 2009 at 1:35 AM Last edited by orangemittens : 8th Nov 2009 at 2:15 AM.
Thank you Dee.

If there is one sure thing...it is that if there is a question to be asked or a mistake to be made...I'm the one who is bound to it.

I never ask questions about the process of meshing via PM's. I figure if I'm asking there is sure to be at least one poor soul out there wondering the same thing. I'm just the one tolerant enough of public humiliation to be the one to do the asking in a forum...lol.

I've never felt inclined to delete my posts either. While some of them make me feel like I wish I hadn't posted them they are what I said so I leave them there out of honesty. It would be nice to make it so they weren't there...but that wouldn't mean I hadn't said it however ridiculous it was.

And Wes...this is the point where you're allowed to pet the mesher This was difficult and it's very odd learning things from you when at the end, when I get it, you just ignore that I got it. Well, whatever...it doesn't matter.

OM
Alchemist
#31 Old 8th Nov 2009 at 3:19 AM
Petting... what an odd choice of words.

I don't belabor the point because you did, as you say, get it. While I am here a lot, it is really a series of short visits mixed with offline activities. Actually, I thought the bed was nice, what I could see of it, which just proves you can do this stuff when you don't allow your trepidation to spoil the effort.

<* Wes *>

Alchemist
Original Poster
#32 Old 8th Nov 2009 at 1:24 PM
Whoops...I was meaning, you know, a pat on the head for following instructions and getting through all the steps right. I forgot people use that word to mean something else. Now you're yanking my chain right when I'm trying to be good

"While I am here a lot, it is really a series of short visits mixed with offline activities..." and I do apologize for taking up your time with that silly post. I really was just teasing and not trying to whine or appear ungrateful.

OM
Alchemist
Original Poster
#33 Old 8th Nov 2009 at 2:40 PM Last edited by orangemittens : 8th Nov 2009 at 11:22 PM.
I really need to stop this double posting but I hate editing everything all the time.

I cloned the metal bed which has more groups than the canopy one. One of the groups is just that little edge of the blanket and I kept that in place without changing its joint assignments.

I then deleted the bed frame after finding which joint it was assigned to. Brought in my new bedframe as an obj and assigned the joint.

The bedding still gets all choppy and I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. It clearly isn't that little blanket edge so you were right about that Wes.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Here is a pic of the second try bedding...it's all in peaks at the top. Excuse the other Sim walking through...I'm testing the bed in the living room and she just got home from work or somewhere.

Edited to add: It is of some small comfort to note that the only user-made bed I have in my game that I didn't make also has this choppy bedding issue. At least I know it isn't some mistake I made with the bedding. But this is only small comfort...I don't consider a bed shareable with this kind of issue.

Edited again: This time I cloned the canopy bed and exported only MLODs and MODL. Decompiled. Looked at MLOD with shadow in MS. Closed MS without making any changes or saving. Reimported MLODs and MODL. Fixed. Installed package into game. The bedding now has peaks even though I made no changes to the bed. I just don't understand it. What am I doing incorrectly?

OM
Alchemist
Original Poster
#34 Old 9th Nov 2009 at 12:14 AM Last edited by orangemittens : 9th Nov 2009 at 2:28 AM.
Sorry for the triple post but this is new information and I don't want it to just get lost.

I cloned the Luxury Bed and then closed the cloner. Reopened cloner and fixed the bed. Imported to game. No problems with bedding.

I took that clone and opened with s3pe, exported just the MLOD with shadow and the MODL. Reimported without doing anything to the exports. Imported object to game. No problems with bedding.

I then took that clone and exported the MLOD with shadows and the MODL. Decompiled and recompiled without doing anything else...didn't open object in MS. Imported with S3PE and saved. Imported to game. There are the peaks.

With all due respect I don't think this is a problem being generated by meshing issues in MS.

Sorry...I shouldn't have posted. Heh...what do I know?

OM
Alchemist
#35 Old 10th Nov 2009 at 5:59 AM
See if you can help me out by outlining the packages that are right and wrong. I will then dig into the differences and find what is spoilin' yer bed, sweetie.

<* Wes *>

Alchemist
Original Poster
#36 Old 10th Nov 2009 at 9:49 AM Last edited by orangemittens : 10th Nov 2009 at 10:39 AM.
Thank you Wes. What would it help you most to have? Let me look at the cluttery mess this project left my folders and pack some things up for you.

OM

Edited to add: I just made the bed 3 more times...once for each tool. I'm attaching a rar with the packages and any folders used while making each one along with a pic of what the bed looks like in the game. For the s3OT one I have separate folders for the MLOD and MODL at each step...just exported, decompiled only, and recompiled. There is a tropical storm here which keeps taking out my internet so if you can't get at the rar that's why...give it time and the connection will come back up. It's the price of living with lots of trees around the wires.

Like an idiot I didn't rename the last bed so the one that's called double luxury is the one that goes with the s3OT folder.

http://jaue.com/om/Beds.rar

Anyway, I hope this helps and I really am sorry to be such a pain darlin'. I hope you don't let this issue take up too much of the time you'd rather be spending on animation projects.
Inventor
#37 Old 10th Nov 2009 at 2:26 PM
I found something strange examining the BedDoubleContemporary to list the number of groups in the mesh.

MLOD 00000000 groups 3+1 joints 110 Poly 2744 vertices 1974
MLOD 00010000 groups 1 joints 110 Poly 2744 vertices 1279
MLOD 00010001 groups 1 joints 110 Poly 1332 vertices 554
MODL 00000001 groups 4 joints 110 Poly 1332 vertices 1056

The MODL has 4 groups, non of them is a ground/dropshadowmesh. The MLOD 00000000 has 4 groups too, but one of them is a ground/dropshadowmesh.

That "extra" group in the MODL is part of the bedding.
Alchemist
Original Poster
#38 Old 11th Nov 2009 at 1:23 AM
Thank you for looking Cocomama. How are you feeling now? Is the illness all gone now?

Wes, I hope the rar included the things you need. If more is wanted just say so. I just gave you everything I could think of...and maybe I missed something? And I mean it...don't go wasting too much time on this silly little thing.

OM
Alchemist
#39 Old 11th Nov 2009 at 3:44 AM
OK, I have it downloaded.

The whole of the ObjTool has been a process for taking objects apart and putting them back together, with or without modifications. So if it is not doing that correctly, it needs fixed... when I get what it is not doing properly figured out.

Alchemist
Original Poster
#40 Old 11th Nov 2009 at 3:54 AM Last edited by orangemittens : 11th Nov 2009 at 1:35 PM.
Shug...don't stress yourself. I'm waiting. And it's no big thing to wait. At the risk of posting some odd thing I'm stopping now.

OM

Edited to add: shug as in short for sugar. I swear I need a dictionary when I post.
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#41 Old 30th Nov 2009 at 5:55 PM
OM - Did you ever figure out what went wrong with those pointy bits on the bedding? I just cloned the colonial bed in TS3 (or it was that in TS2), and I've got those pointy bits too. All I changed was the frame and assigned to what I thought was the correct joint.
Alchemist
Original Poster
#42 Old 30th Nov 2009 at 11:36 PM
Well, in a matter of speaking I figured out what's going wrong. But the reason *why* and how to fix it is above my pay grade. It's something only a programmer is going to be able to take care of for us. And as we know this is just one thing in Sims 3 that needs worked on so I'm waiting patiently.
Page 2 of 2