Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
Original Poster
#1 Old 20th Sep 2009 at 3:37 PM
Default Firefox: What the hell, load already!
For the past few weeks, I've been having a hell of a time using Firefox. Pages start loading and then stop, or never load at all. When they -do- load, about 90% of the time, they never "finish" - all the stuff is there, but it's still got the whirly "page is loading" icon in the tab list. Submitting forms, a lot of time the info goes through but it never loads the page after. IE loads the same pages just fine, so it's not a connection issue.

I've updated Firefox (in fact, done a full uninstall/reinstall) and disabled all of my plugins. Nothing seems to help. Is there a setting or something I can fiddle with? I really, REALLY prefer using Firefox, but I'm posting this through IE just so I can get the damn thing to load sometime this year.
Advertisement
shiny!
retired moderator
#2 Old 20th Sep 2009 at 3:43 PM
FireFox keeps its user files in C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profile and doesn't remove then when you uninstall. I would first uninstall all extra themes and addons, uninstall the whole program normally, and then manually delete extra files in the aforementioned folder and possibly Program Files if it left those behind. Do a restart and then see if reinstalling helps.

Does running Firefox on a new user account make any difference?
Helptato
#3 Old 21st Sep 2009 at 5:09 PM
Have you got a plugin that's not compatible?
I had that, Firefox was being very slow and unresponsive until I took it out. Now I use Google Chrome XD

Emma!

Simblr
[url=https://peanutbuttersandwich.dreamwidth.org/Dreamwidth[/url]
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#4 Old 22nd Sep 2009 at 3:24 AM
I've heard of a lot of people having speed issues with the latest version of FF - not to this extent, but if there were already issues in your case this could have exasperated them. Unfortunately, I've no idea why some are having trouble and others not. Have you tried getting hold of an installation for an older version?

If you can't find one, I think I have a copy of the 2 installer on my desktop somewhere.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
Original Poster
#6 Old 22nd Sep 2009 at 8:45 AM
Thanks guys!

I ended up uninstalling it and then trying to remove the extra Application Data stuff - luckily I copied it to my desktop. When I reinstalled a fresh download, it would give me a message saying firefox was already running but not responding - even though I'd never run it from that install, and there was no process running. Did some googling and found that it was because the profile was missing. I copied back the profiles, and now it's working, yay! Out of 15 tabs I have open, only one is sitting whirly and not-fully-loaded (compared to most or all before) so I guess I'll call it fixed enough.