Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 18th Nov 2009 at 2:24 AM
Default Glass Frame, need picture to show up stronger
Okay, new question for me. I made a glass picture frame following the information I found here. I used the translucent code from the "Making a glass texture tutorial. I did not replace the entire material file for the frame. Instead I added the two lines that the original did not have and changed the values of the original material code to match the Translucent glass code. It worked great. I have a glass picture frame, BUT my painting texture is faded. I wanted to know if there is something I can do in the painting texture, code, or another image file, to make the painting itself strong. I haven't found a painting with more than one group. I tried making an alpha that blacked out the painting on the specular and grayscale image, but it had little effect. I've uploaded the image and .rar. Any suggestions, would be appreciated. The picture posted here is censored as the painting is for the sister site. Thanks in advance

Edit:Forgot to say. The mesh was cloned from the Film Nior painting.
Screenshots
Attached files:
File Type: rar  Sakurahana_BlakeEnter_PaintingM.rar (625.7 KB, 6 downloads) - View custom content
Description: Working file
Advertisement
Alchemist
#2 Old 18th Nov 2009 at 9:57 AM
I'm not sure how you would go about trying to fix the painting as-is.

But have you thought of using the medicine cabinet deco piece as your clone instead? This object has the number of groups you need and hangs on the wall. It might work out better for you than a painting that lacks the correct number of groups.

OM
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 18th Nov 2009 at 7:22 PM
Is there anyway to change the amount of room point you get? Right now the medicine cabinet is only 1 point.
Alchemist
#4 Old 19th Nov 2009 at 1:39 AM
I wish I knew the answer to that because I would like to change it myself.

I don't think this kind of issue interests the people who know the most about the coding though so I don't have much hope this question will be answered anytime soon.

But I still think decorators would like to have a glass painting frame with an unfaded image in it regardless of the room score of the object. Most decorators could not care less about room score issues.

OM
˙uʍop ǝpᴉsdn ǝɹ,noʎ 'oN
#5 Old 19th Nov 2009 at 2:02 PM Last edited by cmomoney : 19th Nov 2009 at 3:15 PM.
from Modding Discussion forum http://www.modthesims.info/showthre...487#post2765487
Quote: Originally posted by Inge Jones
In order for a custom object to have its own tuning, you have to create a custom scriptclass. That means looking at how the original subclass for an individual painting is written and copying the top level bit of it, with a different classname. Then you need to include the result in your package, with an instance number that is fnv64 of the dll name (including ".dll"), and edit the OBJK to call that new class.

At that point you can copy the original tuning xml, and change its instance number to be a fnv64 hash of the scriptclass name. Then edit it to suit.

EDIT: Additional info: How I made a toilet with its own class and its own tuning - by Inge Jones

"Part of being a mesher is being persistent through your own confusedness" - HystericalParoxysm
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ) [◕ ‿ ◕]
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#6 Old 19th Nov 2009 at 5:56 PM
Thank cmomoney for the info. I'll have to really look later. Right now it's a bit over my head.

Orangemittens-I remade the package using the medicine cabinet. This is the result is posted below in attachments.

I lost the beveling in the frame and the center where the picture should be is completely glass. When I regrouped it, the Center became group 02 and the frame (including the back) group 01.

I am not really sure where I went wrong. THe uv map and Object file are included.
Screenshots
Attached files:
File Type: rar  Sakurahana_Blake Enter_PaintingN.rar (526.8 KB, 4 downloads) - View custom content
Description: Package, Uv Map, Object file
Alchemist
#7 Old 20th Nov 2009 at 12:31 AM Last edited by orangemittens : 20th Nov 2009 at 2:46 AM. Reason: 1. Adding more information 2. about tutorial
Your image map makes it appear that you mapped the frame (glass part group01) onto the IMG's. Is this correct? If so you should try remaking the object without mapping any parts that you intend to take the glass texture. I made a vase and with my first attempt I mapped the glass onto the IMG and got a very strange result. The glass took on the images of the flowers that were supposed to sit in the vase. If this object clone is like that then you shouldn't need to map the frame portion of your object at all.

Your frame appears to be solid white just like the cabinet is so I think your object did what the vase did...that is, it took on the texture of the cabinet rather than staying glass as you want it to.

Also, for some reason when I look at the MODL/MLOD Info using the Object Tool I see the two groups and their material mtlsrc...both groups have glass shaders. The first group, the one that should be glass goes with mtlsrc 6 and this one has ShaderName GlassForObjects. The second group, the one that should be the painting goes with mtlsrc's 17 and 18. When you open these with Notepad they have ShaderName GlassForObjectsTranslucent. Did you add glass texture shaders to some part of the object? If so, you don't need to since one of the groups is already glass.

Since the shaders for the image portion of your object are glass shaders the painting image is coming out glass instead of showing your image correctly.

Lastly, I opened each of the 5 IMG files that are in the S3PE list for this object and none of them had an IMG that shows your painting image on it. One was a shadow, two were solid red, and one was solid white. Are you sure you imported the IMG that has your painting image on it? I'm thinking the solid white one should have your painting image on it.

OM

edited to add: Cmo, I looked at that tutorial and it's a little above my head too. Is there an easier way of describing how to change the room value of an object? As-is, I'm not getting it. Thanks for any help and for posting the tutorial. It's good to know it's at least possible even if it's out of my reach at the moment.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#8 Old 20th Nov 2009 at 5:14 AM Last edited by hisui_hana : 20th Nov 2009 at 4:05 PM.
Quote:
Did you add glass texture shaders to some part of the object? If so, you don't need to since one of the groups is already glass.

Yes I did. I have changed them back to the original that I kept as back-up. thank you for letting me know know about mtlsrc 6 being the glass group. I mixed them up.

Quote:
One was a shadow, two were solid red, and one was solid white. Are you sure you imported the IMG that has your painting image on it? I'm thinking the solid white one should have your painting image on it.

I checked my package (saved on my drive) and the image file is there. I think the solid white one is the chrome file from the original package. One of the solid red image files was the recolor channel for the objects inside the original cabinet. Was it right to turn it red? I wasn't sure if I should delete it.

Quote:
If so you should try remaking the object without mapping any parts that you intend to take the glass texture.

Uhhmmm, how do I do this? (I use UVMApper) And, does this mean I can make the Painting part take up the whole uv map space

Edit:Well, I just went ahead and remade the entire package. I did not map the frame (group 01). The new UV map is only of the painting section. But I moved the frame back into the mesh file after mapped it and imported that into the package. The frame still shows up flat without the frame look. Do I need to change the mtlsrc 6? Also, might the chrome image be affecting it? The good news is the picture shows up very well in this package. I appreciate the help. Thank you OM.
Screenshots
Attached files:
File Type: rar  EnterN.rar (535.7 KB, 6 downloads) - View custom content
Description: New object, UV map, Package
Alchemist
#9 Old 20th Nov 2009 at 11:29 AM Last edited by orangemittens : 20th Nov 2009 at 12:56 PM. Reason: Looked at object again
For some reason the second painting you posted is showing up in my game with glass where the image should be. Are you sure you posted the newest version? I suppose that doesn't matter though because it's the frame that's the problem now. You didn't change the code for mtlsrc 6 in the second painting did you? So the frame I'm looking at on this object is the same as the new painting?

It may be the case that changing the mtlsrc 6 sliders would help to make your beveling more apparent on the object in-game. It wouldn't hurt to try it and editing those things is pretty quick and easy.

If you try this I think the sliders that would be most likely to help you would be the Diffuse and the Specular sliders. This is just a guess though...I don't know for sure that altering these will fix the problem to your satisfaction.

I apologize for missing the painting IMG in your first post. For some reason the IMG's are split in the S3PE list and I didn't notice the group near the bottom of the list so I thought there were only 5 in the package. I've never seen S3PE split the IMG files in the list like that before so I didn't look beyond the first group of IMG's I saw there the first time around.

You're welcome to whatever small amount of help I can give. I'm glad that at least you're getting the right look on your painting image now.

OM

edited to add: If the second posting of the painting is, indeed, the same as the first, it would appear that mapping this frame didn't stop it from turning to glass as the picture above made it look as if it had. If this is true then there is something different about this medicine cabinet and the vase or there was something different about the process each of us used to create the object and map it. I'm going to take another look at the vase because now I'm curious about that.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#10 Old 20th Nov 2009 at 4:03 PM Last edited by hisui_hana : 20th Nov 2009 at 10:55 PM. Reason: Update, added censored image
Sorry OM. I did put up the wrong file. I have edited the post with the right one. No, I did not change mtlsrc 6 in either file. The frame came out the same though, both times.

Update: Look OM! It's almost exactly what I'm looking for. I edited the mtlsrc 6. I used the traslucent glass and changed some values to match the daffodil vase. I also edited the diffuse code line to give a more smoky look to the glass (grey 36 I think. Somewhere around there). The Specular gave me back my frame look. I copied that from the Translucent glass specular code first from the curve bar, but ended up using the one for the daffodil vase. Just two minor things and it will be perfect for now. THere appears to be some bleed of the texture into the frame (green circle). I don't know why. Also, the painting part is still really shiny. I put a black alpha layer on the specular image (black and white one). So, again I don't know why. Do you think both of the problems have something to do with Alphamask code line in the mtlsrc 6? Will you also do me the favor of looking at the other frame colors from the original cabinet and telling me what they look like for you?
Screenshots
Attached files:
File Type: rar  EnterN.rar (536.9 KB, 9 downloads) - View custom content
Description: Best package ever
Alchemist
#11 Old 21st Nov 2009 at 12:08 AM
Yay!...progress...congratulations Have you tried altering the sliders for the image to get rid of the shine it has? It was cloned from a plastic looking cabinet so my bet is that those sliders are set to give it a sheen. Those would be mtlsrcs 17 and 18.

I would be glad to look at the other frame colors from the original cabinet but what is it about them you want to know?

OM
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#12 Old 21st Nov 2009 at 12:53 AM
I altered another file before I even thought of looking at those. So, the one object shows up three different ways. The first is the right way. The second has these white marks, which look like recolorable spaces from the cabinet. And, the last looks really dark without any glass in front of the painting. I want to know if you see these differences. If you don't I need to change the last file back.
Alchemist
#13 Old 21st Nov 2009 at 12:58 AM
Ok...will take a look at that and the texture bleed on the frame. Also, it just occurred to me that if you have a glass layer in front of the image this could be what is causing the image to look so shiny. Have you tried the painting without the glass in front of the image?

OM
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#14 Old 21st Nov 2009 at 1:12 AM
I didn't put a glass layer on it. I believe it's as you said, an affect of the original object. If that's the case it should show up on all the recolor files I would think. But I still don't quite understand how all the files relate completely yet.
Alchemist
#15 Old 21st Nov 2009 at 1:27 AM
Sorry, I misunderstood you when you said, "the last looks really dark without any glass in front of the painting,"...if there is no glass in front of the image then I think you should have a look at the mtlsrcs for the image. Those control the material for the image group in the same way that the mtlsrc 6 controls the way the glass appears. If those are set to be shiny plastic then altering them should help tone the shininess from your image.

OM
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#16 Old 21st Nov 2009 at 1:36 AM
Thanks. I'll try that after we touch bases. That'll be a lot easier to do than anything else so far. Forgot I'm not dealing with painting files. When you add a black alpha with those its poof shininess gone.
Alchemist
#17 Old 21st Nov 2009 at 5:04 PM
I looked at the painting in my game and the frame looks beautiful. I see no texture bleed into the frame at all. It looks perfect in my game.

I definitely see the differences in the three different versions. The third version looks crystal clear and without the glossiness of the first.

I'm not sure what is making you dissatisfied with the third version?

OM
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#18 Old 21st Nov 2009 at 11:09 PM Last edited by hisui_hana : 22nd Nov 2009 at 12:03 AM.
Default new info
That's strange. I made a new package with a different photo, and I still get the bleed. Just under the left side of the frame. Maybe we have different settings. Or maybe it just the reflection affects of the glass. I noticed a door reflected in the glass when the frame was put next to it. I'm not dissatisfied with the third version. I just want it to be consistent. So people don't have to pick through the recolors to find the right one. I found out something though. If I delete the image with the the colors channels for the inside of the medicine cabinet, the recolors show up more consistently (just some slight changes in lightness). So this package only has a total of 8 image files instead of 9. May I get a screen shot of what it looks like on your computer.

As far as the shine. I take back what I said about shininess being easy.

Edit: I also included a different copy (stand alone) with the black alpha mask on the painting texture. Once again the extreme between the recolors.
Screenshots
Attached files:
File Type: rar  hisuihana_HisayoLondonAsDorothyDandrige_Painting.rar (576.7 KB, 6 downloads) - View custom content
File Type: rar  hisuihana_HisayoLondonAsDorothyDandrigeB_Painting.rar (577.1 KB, 9 downloads) - View custom content
Description: Stand alone with black alpha
Alchemist
#19 Old 22nd Nov 2009 at 1:07 AM
Here is a screenshot of your painting frame...the whole thing is perfect. It looks great from every angle. I still need to read what you posted about the image.

OM
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#20 Old 22nd Nov 2009 at 1:08 AM
?????? It looks great on your screen.
Alchemist
#21 Old 22nd Nov 2009 at 1:22 AM
As I said, it is beautiful. It is crystal glass from every angle and as you move the screen it coruscates wonderfully. Perhaps this is a video card issue? I don't know. I only know I don't know how to make this frame material better...it is already perfect.

I still need to see what you posted about the image though.

OM
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#22 Old 22nd Nov 2009 at 1:30 AM Last edited by hisui_hana : 22nd Nov 2009 at 2:06 AM.
Default Added Screen shot.
Quote:
I still need to see what you posted about the image though.

Please explain. Did I miss something?

Edit: Never mind. Taking screenshot now. The package is in the previous post. The setting are the same, just a different photo and one less image file.
Screenshots
Alchemist
#23 Old 22nd Nov 2009 at 1:35 AM
No...I was just sayin' that I hadn't downloaded the new versions of the painting to look at the image issues. I was only posting about the frame.

I'm really interested in this that you posted:

"If I delete the image with the the colors channels for the inside of the medicine cabinet, the recolors show up more consistently (just some slight changes in lightness}" ...what was this that you did?

OM
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#24 Old 22nd Nov 2009 at 2:20 AM Last edited by hisui_hana : 22nd Nov 2009 at 5:16 AM.
There were two color channel image files. One for the outside of the cabinet (the Frame) and one for the items inside the cabinet. I deleted the second one. This one was leaving the marks on the second recolor. It turned out that the changes weren't so drastic after I deleted it (first package). In the B package I put a black alpha on the painting texture. The drastic change came back.
Alchemist
#25 Old 22nd Nov 2009 at 1:10 PM
I looked at both of these in my game and the first one still had the sheen on the image and this didn't change as I scrolled through the recolors.

The B version has two recolor options both of which look the same in my game and both of which have no sheen to them at all. Here is a picture of the painting with one of those sheen-free versions selected:

It looks really sharp and very nice. Again, I have to say, I'm not sure how to improve on this...it looks fantastic as-is. Are you still not happy with it in some way?

OM
Page 1 of 2