Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 6th Aug 2016 at 11:21 PM
Default Open Download Manager
I'm really sorry if this is the wrong location to post this - if there's a better place, let me know and I'll move it! I don't know who to ask besides the MTS Community who I trust.

Alright, so I recently got all the S3 games on the Steam summer sale. (I've been playing TS2 all this time) In the meantime, all these things like Simblrs and whatnot have started to become the place to find more TS3 CC as there sadly isn't the variety on MTS like there is with TS2. The thing I'm finding with trying to download a lot of the CC I want, especially some of the semi "critical" slider mods, is that when I try to download it, my browser tab goes to an ad.ly thing (fine, whatever) but then doesn't proceed to give me the download but wants me to install Open Download Manager in order to access the desired CC. This keeps happening on multiple sites. A quick Google is telling me I do NOT want to install this program and that it likes to add crap and maybe mod your registries.

Is everyone else just downloading and installing it anyway? Is there some work around I'm not finding? Is there something potentially hijacked in my browser already that is causing this to require me to download ODM?

Samples things I've tried to download lately that are all trying to force ODM install:
the pretty popular seeming aWT hat slider (finally found in an old MTS WCIF thread) http://awtmk.blogspot.com/2011/04/b...at-control.html
this Tati skin (which someone was kind enough to put on mediafire for me over in the WCIF) - http://www.thesims3.it/spazio-artis...html#post467900

Oh, I'm on Win 7, I use Chrome (which is up-to-date)

Completer sets help me feel complete!
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 7th Aug 2016 at 1:26 AM
No, you do not want "Download Manager," that's another party's ad sticking it's way in there and has nothing to do with the item you are trying to download. If it's not that one, it's usually an offer for a bogus copy of Adobe Flash Player that is really malware (or close enough to it).

Here is the sequence I went through for the awT sliders with Firefox, but I expect it's exactly the same as what you were seeing on Chrome.

Landed on the blog page. Selected download. Got taken to an Adfly page that wanted me to get Download Manager (forget it, not gonna happen) with a countdown in the upper right corner that, when things are working properly, should have taken me to the real download link in about 10-15 seconds.

Instead, I got a scolding page in my face telling me that I shouldn't be using an Ad Blocker.

Made an exception for the page in Ad Block Plus and started over. This time after the AdFly countdown instead of being scolded I got taken to a page that wants me to quit my job and work from home in order to be successful. I'll let you know how that works out.

In the meantime, I am forced to conclude that we aren't doing anything wrong but there is no longer any real path to the awT hat sliders downloads. Or if there is, that's just not it. But check the link at the end of this thread:
http://modthesims.info/t/517774
dodgy builder
#3 Old 7th Aug 2016 at 11:52 AM
People is giving ad.fly so much beating. I would be very careful what to click on some of those storage places.
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 7th Aug 2016 at 2:52 PM
Don't you see the "skip ad" in the upper right corner? Clicking there after the countdown (I usually have to wait 5 sec) always takes me to the DL.
Mad Poster
#5 Old 7th Aug 2016 at 6:09 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Batsheba
Don't you see the "skip ad" in the upper right corner? Clicking there after the countdown (I usually have to wait 5 sec) always takes me to the DL.

Usually yes, but as I stated that didn't work for me in this case. Skip Ad took me to other pages instead after the countdown finished and no content was offered. I don't think awT's downloads in particular are there anymore, which is why another user here helpfully provided a link for their download in the thread I pointed to.
Scholar
#6 Old 7th Aug 2016 at 6:18 PM
Whenever I use ad.fly or mediafire I always do right-click and "open link in new tab" that will at least prevent the annoying pop ups that come with clicking the download button
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 8th Aug 2016 at 1:35 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Batsheba

This is why I wondered if I was doing something wrong. Even when I click the "skip ad" in the upper corner, it STILL only takes me to trying to force me to DL ODM. Otherwise, yes, the procedure igazor outlined is exactly what is happening to me on a LOT of things. (Like a bunch of stuff on the sims3.ru and sims3.it site always)

Okay, well thanks for confirming I don't want to install that crap and it's probably not something I'm doing. So far, the MTS community has been able to help me with the 2 or 3 things that were being impossible for me to download, cuz people here are generally awesome.

Completer sets help me feel complete!
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 8th Aug 2016 at 4:08 PM
Hmm, both links given here worked for me. The first one the DL was removed though but not the later. I'm using Safari.