Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 19th Jul 2010 at 9:32 AM
Question: Skin Bump Mapping?
I play several 3D games, I saw many characters have a extensive body bump mapping. It look very fantastic, especially muscle on the male body. I remember that TS3 also support this but many of skinner didn't use this extensive bump mapping.

I wonder which file I should edit?

Thank you
Advertisement
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#2 Old 19th Jul 2010 at 12:17 PM
You mean skintone bumpmaps? I don't know if the skintones support bumpmaps natively - you can certainly check, since all the image files for the EA skintones are clustered together if you sort by long name in S3PE (I'm afraid I dont remember the instances, however). If there are bumpmaps for EA skins, it should be a case of just creating your bumpmap, and fixing the instance/group if necessary. If EA skin's don't have bumpmaps, then it may be possible to add them... but you would probably have to add them for the nude mesh, which means it'd probably effect a lot of skintight clothing and accessories too.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#3 Old 19th Jul 2010 at 12:23 PM
TS3 skins do indeed support bump mapping, and have it by default. Not sure which files are the ones you have to edit - I exported all the textures from the game into a folder to make it easier when I wanted to replace something, but since I installed W7, I can't view the thumbnails anymore. If you can't find them yourself, I can go searching, though.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Sockpuppet
#4 Old 19th Jul 2010 at 12:48 PM
you can find them and export them easily with CTU.
Just pick the nude top(or bottom) and go to the mesh tab
The normalmap is the one you want.

Problem will be that it is linked to teen through elder and that if you make a nice muscle bumpmap it will also be visible on the fat and thin shapes.
Dont know if Custom skintones have there own normalmap.
Instructor
Original Poster
#5 Old 19th Jul 2010 at 12:52 PM
Weird, I use Win7, but I still can view dds as thumbnail at Win explorer. I just normally install the nVidia DDS in Win7.

I found the file!!!

You can check this thread: The Skininator
http://linna.modthesims.info/download.php?t=389488

Download file: Specular Normal Skins.rar

There are 2 folders, Specular and Normal. I think the bump mapping file is in Normal folder. While Specular is about shining effect.

I try to do some experiment with it tonight. I will inform you after I figure it how to make smooth skintone.
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#6 Old 19th Jul 2010 at 12:58 PM
Yeah, I tried the nVidia DDS thumbnail viewer and it didn't work for me under W7. Are you on 32 or 64 bit?

Also, you are indeed correct - specular is shine and normals is bump mapping.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 19th Jul 2010 at 1:03 PM
Yes, the non default skintones do support normals. In fact in the demo images for the UI mod post, I changed the normals to give a fur texture.
Instructor
Original Poster
#8 Old 20th Jul 2010 at 4:53 AM
OK, I give up.

I try many times to edit the normal map, but it always fail in the game.

Can someone give tips or some tutor?
Sockpuppet
#9 Old 20th Jul 2010 at 6:56 AM
You need to create a custom skintone first wich is updated with a custom bumpmap.
In CAS you pick the custom skintone, the new bumpmap should be visible then.
Instructor
Original Poster
#10 Old 21st Jul 2010 at 5:36 AM
So it can't replace the default bump mapping skin. No wonder I fail multiple times.

I already make the skin gray and match the color to the original TS3 normal map.
Sockpuppet
#11 Old 21st Jul 2010 at 11:50 AM Last edited by Base1980 : 21st Jul 2010 at 12:03 PM.
You can replace the default one.
Let me see if i can popout a replacement file.

edit,
Here is a package with the original basegame female normalmap.
If you want to replace it with your own texturefile use Postal or S3PE for it.
Import your texture file in the Hex tab.
Use S3PE to compress the file(Postal doesn't) right click, choose compress.
You can add other ages and genders to it if you like, just add new.
Import your texture file and fix the instance numbers.
Instance numbers you find with CTU, explained in post 4.
Attached files:
File Type: rar  Femalenormalmap_replacement.rar (584.1 KB, 11 downloads) - View custom content