Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 27th Jun 2010 at 12:19 PM
Default Tattoos as recolor of socks, body overlay
Hey everybody

a few years ago I started making tattooskins in the sims 2

I was one of the few who did full body suits and sleeves...

I'd like to try it in the sims 3, but not sure where to start, I don't want the ambitions tattooist way...

I want them to work with base game, and ambitions doesn't support full sleeves anyway...

A few people made ink this way, but they didn't respond to my questions ...

I'm hoping there is someone on her who is willing to teach me, or at least tell me what programs and tutorials to use...

examples :

http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=387181
http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=379158
http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=362753
http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=350769
Advertisement
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#2 Old 27th Jun 2010 at 5:33 PM
Well, the answer depends on how experienced you are with CAS content in general.

I'll go for medium experience level - use CTU to clone a pair of socks (or gloves, or whatever); edit and replace the various texture files for each design. The EA textures all have the nude skin as a "base", made invisible using the alpha channel, so you can easily see whereabouts on the body your texturing will end up.

Tutorials on editing the various textures involved in CAS content are under Create -> Sims 3 -> Tutorials -> CAS Tutorials -> CTU Tutorials" target="_blank">Tutorials:TS3 CTU Tutorialswiki.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 27th Jun 2010 at 5:39 PM
Quote: Originally posted by whiterider
Well, the answer depends on how experienced you are with CAS content in general.

I'll go for medium experience level - use CTU to clone a pair of socks (or gloves, or whatever); edit and replace the various texture files for each design. The EA textures all have the nude skin as a "base", made invisible using the alpha channel, so you can easily see whereabouts on the body your texturing will end up.

Tutorials on editing the various textures involved in CAS content are under Create -> Sims 3 -> Tutorials -> CAS Tutorials -> CTU Tutorials" target="_blank">Tutorials:TS3 CTU Tutorialswiki.

Medium xp, was a bit optimistic I'm afraid, before this day I had never even heard of CAS...

Yes, I had some issues with sims 3 so couldn't get the game to work untill now... I've been out for quite some time

thank you for your suggestions though.
your information in combo with this tutorial
http://www.youtube.com/user/TheSimS...9/9/HUFQN1DYM_I
should eventually lead to a skin.

There is one thing I don't get though, how does the coloring work?
I don't want the colors in the tattoos to be adjustable... I just wanna use the graphics that I have... Is that possible? Otherwise I don't think I'm going to bother... Oldschool tattoos are way too colorful it would take months and months to make a skin like this http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=148873
Instructor
#4 Old 27th Jun 2010 at 5:47 PM
Making the coloring non-adjustable is easy, you just put your (colored) texture as the overlay, instead of the base texture. You have to put a base texture too, so just use the same file. ignore the mask.

I made a tattoo tutorial that should tell you everything you need to know, or it would, if you were on a mac. Haha.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#5 Old 28th Jun 2010 at 9:18 AM

Haha I messed around for a few hours, and finally got this!

I know, the colors look way too bright...

prolly did something wrong there...

As you can see, the bodies are completely different to the sims 2, so I'll have quite some work adjusting the graphics to fit the body... But still, I got this far, so I can perfect it from here on...

I don't have a preview from anything in my CAS unitexturetool... It keeps giving an error...

ah well I'm siked...
Sockpuppet
#6 Old 28th Jun 2010 at 9:57 AM
This might help you to reposition your tattoos
You also want to know that Cmar has made a small proggy to make tattoos based on the tattoos from Ambitions EP.
As tattoos based on the socks will dissapear in the shower.

Also download the latest patch for your game, also has tattoos in it.
Attached files:
File Type: rar  malebodyuvmap.rar (85.1 KB, 19 downloads) - View custom content
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#7 Old 28th Jun 2010 at 10:02 AM Last edited by XJonasX : 28th Jun 2010 at 10:18 AM.

This is looking a lot better already!

Still the colors are way too bright... I used the same full color file for texture and overlay, but I made my alpha purely in BLACK and white, should I use grey instead of white?

Some help would be useful!

Quote: Originally posted by Base1980
This might help you to reposition your tattoos
You also want to know that Cmar has made a small proggy to make tattoos based on the tattoos from Ambitions EP.

Also download the latest patch for your game, also has tattoos in it.

That does help A LOT!

THanks man!

Do you have one for females as well? or could you tell me where I can find it?

I'll finish it off using your UV map...
Sockpuppet
#8 Old 28th Jun 2010 at 10:04 AM
http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=407940
tattoo maker from Cmar.
Ill make the female, one sec.

Edit,
Here is the female
Attached files:
File Type: rar  femalefullbodyuvmap.rar (90.0 KB, 14 downloads) - View custom content
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#9 Old 28th Jun 2010 at 2:33 PM

What a long way have I come, and all this in 7 hours, yes I'm proud of myself

haha

will be up for downloading soon!
Sockpuppet
#10 Old 28th Jun 2010 at 5:11 PM
You did load a grey texture as base texture and a dark grey as specular texture?(or its the other way arround)

I am having some bugs myself with accesoires, can you put some earrings or watch on the sim and see wat the tattoo texture does?
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#11 Old 28th Jun 2010 at 7:13 PM
I must confess, I didn't use any specular texture...

And as you can see in this picture the sim is wearing a watch on his left arm... so no issues there...
Instructor
#12 Old 28th Jun 2010 at 7:45 PM
You actually don't need a specular, haha, it just does the lighting. The base texture is essential though.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#13 Old 30th Jun 2010 at 10:47 AM
It has been a few years since I uploaded here, but is it me or did the moderators get a lot stricter over the years?

I actually got told that the sleeves and ankles look to cut off...
So I should change that...

But I don't agree... it's typical for japanese tattoos to look that way...

What do you guys think?

Sockpuppet
#14 Old 30th Jun 2010 at 2:35 PM
Looks pretty good to me
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#15 Old 9th Jul 2010 at 6:54 AM