Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 1st Jul 2010 at 10:38 AM
Help needed on editing a clothing mesh
I want to edit a clothing mesh, i.e. maxis puffed vest from basegame. I just want to make it sleeveless, but it's not working well with just texturing (sleeves do are colourless editing the alpha channel but sleeve thickness can still be seen, especially at sleeve's end.

Can someone provide me help with a tutorial or a link? What do I need to do and how I need to do? Thanks in advance,

sHoNi
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 1st Jul 2010 at 1:24 PM
You should show everyone a picture, but it sounds like you need to update your bump map, or perhaps update your mesh. Hard to tell without pictures...
Sockpuppet
#3 Old 1st Jul 2010 at 9:40 PM
It involves a mesh edit, you need to replace the sleeves with naked arms
There is a tutorial on frenkensteining a mesh here: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=397088
But putting diffrent parts together can give problems or errors ingame as you also need to edit the morphs

In this thread you will wat errors i am talking about, there is also a explanation on how to avoid it: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=408803
I think its not easy tho for a beginner to start with something like this, but you can give it a try.

note,
The first link(to the tut.) does all the editing and building with CTU while the Frenkenstein thread is based on TSRW.
Banned
#4 Old 1st Jul 2010 at 11:34 PM
If you can make it work, an easier project might be to take the rockstar outfit, and cut off the lower half. The top half is a vest. It is a lot easier than trying to make a frankenmesh for your first project. If I were you, I would not try complex editing or frankenmeshing until you are pretty comfortable with Milkshape.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 3rd Jul 2010 at 7:28 PM
I tried to edit the mesh with MIlkshape but when I delete the sleeves with the vertex selection and save the mesh, ingame there are NO arms anymore! Where do I go wrong?
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
#6 Old 3rd Jul 2010 at 8:55 PM
There are no arms because you deleted them. If you want bare arms you have to either reshape the sleeves or replace them with arms from another mesh.

Don't think of the sleeves as being over a body - the mesh you're working with IS the body, just shaped like clothing. Hope that makes sense.
Inventor
#7 Old 3rd Jul 2010 at 8:59 PM
You did it partly right, you only did not replace the sleeves with naked arms. You will have to import another mesh with arms that have no sleeves on it, and use the naked arms part from that second mesh, deleting the body part, and connect the two meshes like in my toddler Frankenstein tutorial.
If this is not a toddler mesh, you probably have to make new morph meshes, because combining 2 morph meshes exactly the same way as you did the base mesh is very difficult, and usually results in exploding meshes. But maybe you are lucky and it will work, if you do not have to add or delete any vertices/faces to make the connection.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#8 Old 5th Jul 2010 at 10:51 AM Last edited by shoni89P : 5th Jul 2010 at 11:05 AM.
Hm, what do I need to do to make new morph meshes? (I'm new to Milkshape meshing) I managed to create the mesh I wanted, with arms, no sleeves etc. The new problem is: Ingame is everything all right but ONLY if I set my Sim (the one wearing this new clothing mesh) to be NO fit at all (0) and with fatness number to 0 (it goes from -1 to 1) and thats pretty annoying because if those number exceed, the hands and the shoulders get messed up with strange vertices and some parts of the mesh get really weird. How can I set fatness and fitness valors for the mesh correctly?

NOTE: There's the mesh attached, if anyone wants to figure out what am I doing wrong, it is sort of the Vest the main character of Silent Hill 3 wears ingame. I am trying all day long to make it work, if anyone can help me it would be great =(
Another link for the mesh: http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/7...l_PuffyVest.zip
Attached files:
File Type: zip  Cheryl_PuffyVest.zip (1,008.7 KB, 7 downloads) - View custom content
Description: Package AND mesh extracted
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
#9 Old 5th Jul 2010 at 12:06 PM
The fat/fit/thin weirdness is the morph problem Cocomama referred to. Anytime you add or remove vertices the morphs will get messed up since they depend on the vertex numbers of the original mesh.

Gotta warn you making new morphs is a lot of work. You have two choices:

1. Get the morph meshes from the game for your two original meshes (their names end with _fat, _fit, _thin, and (if the mesh has a pregnant morph) _special. Make EXACTLY the same modifications in each of the morphs as in the base mesh. Use Wes's Autorenum tool in Milkshape to renumber the base and the morphs. In your package, replace your modified base mesh with the renumbered one. Use MorphMaker to make new BGEO files (which contain the morph information that the game uses) from the new morph meshes and to add them to the new clothing package with the proper links.

2. Start from your new base mesh, make copies of it, and modify it to make new morph meshes. You can use game morph meshes as a guide by copying information from their vertices to yours, one by one, and then smooth out the shape. When done, renumber all the meshes, replace your base mesh in your package, and use MorphMaker to process the morphs as above.

You'll probably end up with option 2 since it's almost impossible to make exactly the same changes to three or four sets of meshes if the changes are at all extensive.
Sockpuppet
#10 Old 5th Jul 2010 at 2:51 PM
Its easier to cut off the sleeves from the puffy vest on the base mesh and all its morphs.
Extract a swimsuit and all its morphs and cut off the body, leaving the naked arms.
Load everything in a fullbodyoutfit with 2 meshgroups and set it to toponly.
You do need to fix the vertID numbers then but thats simple.

But my advice is to wait till TSRW RC4_4 comes out, the outfits errors will be fixed then and you should only delete the part that attaches the sleeves to the hands
snap hand and sleeves together and load everything back in TSRW(maybe with a little uvmap edit.)
Making new morphs is a endless procedure as you then need to fix the neck and waist also on all meshes.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#11 Old 13th Jul 2010 at 10:08 AM
It still has the fat/fit bug after I tried with TSRW 2.0 =( I am that uncapable!
Sockpuppet
#12 Old 13th Jul 2010 at 2:00 PM
Did you start with a fullbodyoutfit that has 2 meshgroups for each detail or did you start with a toponly?
Combining 2 meshes into one by regrouping them is asking for trouble.
Best is to follow this procedure: http://www.modthesims.info/showthre...25#startcomment
Post 26

Import the puffy vest and cut of the sleeves.(then hide all)
Import a naked top and cut off the body(then hide all)
Then unhide the base group from both and attache the arms to the vest, do this for all groups(fat/fit/then and preg.)
Save your file as Ms3d.
Delete the naked arms, all 5 groups
Export the vest.
Reopen the ms3d file or use the step backward key to bring back the naked arms.
Delete the vest groups and export the naked arms.

Load both meshes in a fullbodyoutfit with 2 meshgroups for every lod(detail)
Set it to toponly and fix the textures(dont forget the partmask!)

edit,
Removing the arms or body is really simple.
select the faces, not vertices.
Select a big part of the mesh, then hit the move button and pull it far away, select the faces that are stretched, pull them far away again.
Since there is a seam between the body and the arms you can preciesly delete wat you want because at one point you will pull the parts apart(body and arms)
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#13 Old 14th Jul 2010 at 9:18 AM
Hm I'll try, but remember please I am really new to Milkshape meshing (well to meshing in general) so sorry if my questions might like dumb =( but how can I set/edit fat/fit groups? I cannot see them in milkshape. And you say not to regroup the two meshes but to attache them. How do I do that? I am really a newbie here =(
Sockpuppet
#14 Old 14th Jul 2010 at 2:26 PM
If you are a newbie plz use TSRW to build your file(latest version)
And maybe follow a basic tutorial for meshing for it?
Had a look at the files and its indeed not that simple as i thought......
Want me to do the meshes?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#15 Old 14th Jul 2010 at 5:43 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Base1980
If you are a newbie plz use TSRW to build your file(latest version)
And maybe follow a basic tutorial for meshing for it?
Had a look at the files and its indeed not that simple as i thought......
Want me to do the meshes?

Wait, are u serious? You'd really do it for me? If so, my only other request is to keep the undershirt under the puffy vest, I wanted it sleeveless like there's a tanktop under the vest. If you will help me with this, I thank you sincerely
Sockpuppet
#16 Old 14th Jul 2010 at 7:37 PM Last edited by Base1980 : 15th Jul 2010 at 4:28 PM. Reason: removing upload
Uh, i offered to make the meshes not he texturing.
I did finish it as outfit tho but if you want it as Cheryl's vest(with the pockets) you should make a new package like i decribed and update the textures.
You can use these meshes, do wat you want with them.
Ill upload mine to my site in a sec, feel free to extract the textures and edit them.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#17 Old 15th Jul 2010 at 9:39 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Base1980
Uh, i offered to make the meshes not he texturing.
I did finish it as outfit tho but if you want it as Cheryl's vest(with the pockets) you should make a new package like i decribed and update the textures.
You can use these meshes, do wat you want with them.
Ill upload mine to my site in a sec, feel free to extract the textures and edit them.

Oh, many thanks Base1980. You really did the work =D nah I already did my own Cheryl textures, take a look at the result =)
I'll use this mesh for my WIP Silent Hill Series Project (if you're interested: http://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=407877 )
Screenshots
Sockpuppet
#18 Old 15th Jul 2010 at 4:25 PM
Ok
Looking at the screenshot, you do need to update the partmask(still is the fullbody)
I uploaded mine with the base textures here: http://www.bloomsbase.net/index.php...egory/6-clothes
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#19 Old 17th Jul 2010 at 3:49 PM
Thanks Base1980 for your help but I already updated my textures on myself (although I am a noob @ meshing I'm rather good at textures stuff) =D
You did a great job anyway with the mesh, I am really satisfied. You helped my project to be more alive than ever