Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 5th Jul 2013 at 8:12 PM
Default Sims 2-Custom Sims won't show up?
Since I installed H&M Stuff Pack,after I install a Sim it doesn't show up.The Sims I've installed before H&M are still here.
And I use Sims 2 Clean Pack Installer.I have the latest version.
I've got all expansion packs and 4 stuff packs.
How to solve it without re-installing the game or removing all custom content?
I've read the MTS' help section but it says to back up my game,so this means that I must wait a lot because my download folder has 3.938 items and it's a total of 1.06 GB.
I have enough space on my computer(125 GB).
Please help,I don't know what to do
Advertisement
Theorist
#2 Old 5th Jul 2013 at 8:25 PM
First, take a deep breath. Then take the time to back up your game and then work your way through the steps in the Help section. Backing up will take about 20 minutes or so, and then your game is safe.

You should back up regularly anyway, because so many things can go wrong. Spending 20 minutes or so once a week is much better than coming back here to ask how to get your entire game back.

esmeiolanthe's Live Journal and Tumblr
Most recent story update: Fuchs That! on 2/21/15
Scholar
#3 Old 5th Jul 2013 at 8:29 PM
Anna, I've had the same problem, maybe check to see if you are missing any meshes. I agree, backing up your game is the smartest & safest thing to do.I have well over 10gbs of cc, so I know the wait can be irritating but so worth it!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#4 Old 5th Jul 2013 at 8:30 PM
Quote: Originally posted by esmeiolanthe
First, take a deep breath. Then take the time to back up your game and then work your way through the steps in the Help section. Backing up will take about 20 minutes or so, and then your game is safe.

You should back up regularly anyway, because so many things can go wrong. Spending 20 minutes or so once a week is much better than coming back here to ask how to get your entire game back.
Ok,I may do it tomorrow.Does "back up" mean to copy it and put it in a safe place?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 5th Jul 2013 at 8:31 PM
Quote: Originally posted by sweetbaby160
Anna, I've had the same problem, maybe check to see if you are missing any meshes. I agree, backing up your game is the smartest & safest thing to do.I have well over 10gbs of cc, so I know the wait can be irritating but so worth it!
I will back up,and I don't miss any mesh,even if I miss it the sim will come packaged with maxis hair and clothes,but the sim doesn't really show!
Scholar
#6 Old 5th Jul 2013 at 8:34 PM
& you are using the clean installer? It was a couple years ago that I first had this problem, I can't quite remember what I did to fix it, I'm sorry...my cc sims were off the exchange (didn't know better at the time). The sims you are trying to install, from here?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 5th Jul 2013 at 8:38 PM
Quote: Originally posted by sweetbaby160
& you are using the clean installer? It was a couple years ago that I first had this problem, I can't quite remember what I did to fix it, I'm sorry...my cc sims were off the exchange (didn't know better at the time). The sims you are trying to install, from here?
The Sims 2 site is closed.And the Sims I'm trying to install are from this site.
Scholar
#8 Old 5th Jul 2013 at 8:57 PM
Well aware of the exhange being closed I stated that because that is where I had the problem.
Hope you find the solution to yours.
Mad Poster
#9 Old 5th Jul 2013 at 9:13 PM
Theorist
#10 Old 5th Jul 2013 at 9:24 PM
Quote: Originally posted by annacapp
Ok,I may do it tomorrow.Does "back up" mean to copy it and put it in a safe place?

Yes, it does. I usually back up to a DVD-RW or to a memory stick, so that if the computer dies unexpectedly (and all my computers tend to die without warning), the files are still safe. If you are super-paranoid, like me, you can even keep one back up disc at home and one back up disc at work/school/a friend's house. Just in case. But for the purposes of figuring out what's wrong in your particular case, placing a copy on your desktop or on a disc/memory stick sitting next to your computer is probably just fine.

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#11 Old 6th Jul 2013 at 5:25 AM
Yes, it does. I usually back up to a DVD-RW or to a memory stick, so that if the computer dies unexpectedly (and all my computers tend to die without warning), the files are still safe. If you are super-paranoid, like me, you can even keep one back up disc at home and one back up disc at work/school/a friend's house. Just in case. But for the purposes of figuring out what's wrong in your particular case, placing a copy on your desktop or on a disc/memory stick sitting next to your computer is probably just fine.
Need I to make a backup of the whole Sims 2 folder?But my problem isn't package files,my problem is with sims2packs.
Theorist
#12 Old 6th Jul 2013 at 11:43 AM
Quote: Originally posted by annacapp
Need I to make a backup of the whole Sims 2 folder?But my problem isn't package files,my problem is with sims2packs.

Not the whole folder -- just the sub-folders that you want to keep. Personally, I save the following, in the order that they appear in your Sims 2 folder:

Downloads
N___ (inside the Neighborhoods folder; these are your neighborhoods. All custom 'hoods will be named something between N004 and N999)
PackagedLots (because I have packaged some lots -- if you haven't, you don't need this)
Paintings (because I use custom paintings -- if you don't, then you don't need this)

If you have imported Sims into your game, you'll need the SavedSims folder. If you've imported a new neighborhood map, you'll nee the SC4 Terrains folder. If you've made a new breed of pet, you'll need the PetBreeds folder. And so on. (If you haven't changed anything in a folder since you installed the game, then you don't need to back it up.)

The idea is to be sure that you have everything you like/use/have changed safe. If you haven't changed it/don't like it, there's no reason to back it up.

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#13 Old 6th Jul 2013 at 1:09 PM
Not the whole folder -- just the sub-folders that you want to keep. Personally, I save the following, in the order that they appear in your Sims 2 folder:

Downloads
N___ (inside the Neighborhoods folder; these are your neighborhoods. All custom 'hoods will be named something between N004 and N999)
PackagedLots (because I have packaged some lots -- if you haven't, you don't need this)
Paintings (because I use custom paintings -- if you don't, then you don't need this)

If you have imported Sims into your game, you'll need the SavedSims folder. If you've imported a new neighborhood map, you'll nee the SC4 Terrains folder. If you've made a new breed of pet, you'll need the PetBreeds folder. And so on. (If you haven't changed anything in a folder since you installed the game, then you don't need to back it up.)

The idea is to be sure that you have everything you like/use/have changed safe. If you haven't changed it/don't like it, there's no reason to back it up.
What folder is the one with Sims I've downloaded?I got almost all my Sims from here.
SavedSims means the Sims I created,not the Sims I downloaded...
The same with lots.I didn't package any lot.
Theorist
#14 Old 6th Jul 2013 at 1:33 PM
If you didn't package any lots, then you don't need to back up your PackagedLots folder.

I have never downloaded any Sims, so I'm afraid I don't know where downloaded Sims are stored. When you download something (cc, a Sim, etc.), do you save the .zip or .rar file that it came in originally? (Kind of a long shot, I know...) Can you see them in your Downloads folder, maybe?

Mad Poster
#15 Old 6th Jul 2013 at 2:47 PM
You don't really need to back up your game to install some sims. Just follow the next steps in the guide and you'll figure it out.

SavedSims is where anything Bodyshop-generated (except sims you've packed yourself) ends up. Sometimes also items from Sims2Packs, depending on the settings in Clean Installer. I think sims installed with the default installer also ends up there, although it's been a long while since I used it (the thing messed up so much I refuse to use it now).

Inside a Sims2pack file when opened with the Clean Installer you'll usually find ".package" items. The 8x8 random digit file names are usually the sim itself (the filenames look something like this: 4599dfea_588cd093) while the rest are CC items such as makeup, hair, clothes and meshes.

If you only have the basegame or up to Nightlife in EPs, you might have to put sims files plus Bodyshop recolor files in the SavedSims folder, and the body meshes and furniture and the rest of the stuff in the Downloads folder, or they won't show up. This changed with the Nightlife pack, if I'm not completely wrong. If you have newer EPs than Nightlife, you can safely put everything into your Downloads folder, unless it goes someplace else (which the CC creator will usually say if you read properly about the item).

Just remember that if you download sims that have CC clothing or hair, you are proably going to need some meshes, and these are not always icluded.

Also remember that the new sims are marked with a white star in the Bodyshop sim bin. And they might look different from the preview pictures, so be aware you probably have to go looking in the sim bin a bit if you have several sims downloaded.

If you download zip/rar files, they have to be opened/extracted, so you have only .package files. If they contain sims2pack files, you have to install them before they show up. You also have to enable downloads and restart the game for things to show up. All this is explained in the guide topics I linked to above.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#16 Old 6th Jul 2013 at 6:02 PM
If you didn't package any lots, then you don't need to back up your PackagedLots folder.

I have never downloaded any Sims, so I'm afraid I don't know where downloaded Sims are stored. When you download something (cc, a Sim, etc.), do you save the .zip or .rar file that it came in originally? (Kind of a long shot, I know...) Can you see them in your Downloads folder, maybe?
After I download a .rar file I get out the sim and click twice on it.I put the sims2pack in EA Games/Sims 2 folder.
Theorist
#17 Old 6th Jul 2013 at 6:07 PM
Do you double-click on the Sims2pack files and select "Install"? Just placing the whole pack in the folder won't add the Sim to your game.

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#18 Old 6th Jul 2013 at 6:07 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
You don't really need to back up your game to install some sims. Just follow the next steps in the guide and you'll figure it out.

SavedSims is where anything Bodyshop-generated (except sims you've packed yourself) ends up. Sometimes also items from Sims2Packs, depending on the settings in Clean Installer. I think sims installed with the default installer also ends up there, although it's been a long while since I used it (the thing messed up so much I refuse to use it now).

Inside a Sims2pack file when opened with the Clean Installer you'll usually find ".package" items. The 8x8 random digit file names are usually the sim itself (the filenames look something like this: 4599dfea_588cd093) while the rest are CC items such as makeup, hair, clothes and meshes.

If you only have the basegame or up to Nightlife in EPs, you might have to put sims files plus Bodyshop recolor files in the SavedSims folder, and the body meshes and furniture and the rest of the stuff in the Downloads folder, or they won't show up. This changed with the Nightlife pack, if I'm not completely wrong. If you have newer EPs than Nightlife, you can safely put everything into your Downloads folder, unless it goes someplace else (which the CC creator will usually say if you read properly about the item).

Just remember that if you download sims that have CC clothing or hair, you are proably going to need some meshes, and these are not always icluded.

Also remember that the new sims are marked with a white star in the Bodyshop sim bin. And they might look different from the preview pictures, so be aware you probably have to go looking in the sim bin a bit if you have several sims downloaded.

If you download zip/rar files, they have to be opened/extracted, so you have only .package files. If they contain sims2pack files, you have to install them before they show up. You also have to enable downloads and restart the game for things to show up. All this is explained in the guide topics I linked to above.
I enabled downloads and also restarted the game.And if the mesh isn't included,it will show with Maxis clothes and hair,but the Sim itself doesn't show up!If it showed up it had maxis clothes/hair.And I have all EPs.I clicked twice on the sims2pack and it tells me it installed successfully.But it still doesn't appear.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#19 Old 6th Jul 2013 at 6:25 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22

OMG thank you!I've put the things that came with sim in the download folder!*SOLVED I THINK*
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#20 Old 6th Jul 2013 at 6:37 PM
Thank You All For The Answers!now It's Solved!
I Can Peacefully Play My Game Now!
Mad Poster
#21 Old 6th Jul 2013 at 8:28 PM
That's wonderful! Glad you could make it work!

A couple of little tips about posting - when you need to add something to a post you just made, you can use the "edit" post feature. If you were the last person to post, it makes sense to go and do that rather than double posting. Also, when quoting another poster, you do not need to copy the whole thing they wrote, just the part you wish to respond to. It makes it easier to follow the conversation that way.

Addicted to The Sims since 2000.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#22 Old 7th Jul 2013 at 6:09 AM
Quote: Originally posted by VerDeTerre
Also, when quoting another poster, you do not need to copy the whole thing they wrote, just the part you wish to respond to. It makes it easier to follow the conversation that way.
Look,I've tried!Thanks for the tip :D
Mad Poster
#23 Old 7th Jul 2013 at 7:42 AM
LOL - most excellent!

Addicted to The Sims since 2000.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#24 Old 7th Jul 2013 at 4:54 PM
Quote: Originally posted by VerDeTerre
LOL - most excellent!
Test Subject
#25 Old 27th Aug 2016 at 2:05 PM
OMG I have been searching for this topic for ages! Because my custom downloaded sims wouldn't show up either. My problem was that with one sim the face preset (the random number file) wasn't in the package. And with my second sim I tried to clean too much with Clean Installer and unticked it. So now I installed that file too and everything works like a charm.
Thank you!