Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 16th Aug 2016 at 7:23 PM
Default What do you think of a Sims 2 Fanfiction?
So I've been a fanfiction writer for almost two years and while my Inuyasha fanfiction has been popular, recently I've wanted to write something more original hence the Sims.

At the moment I'm in the process of writing it out but I have posted a few photos of the Sims I created so that people have visual recognition.

Please tell me what you think of them. My fanfiction name is of course Theores.

http://theores.deviantart.com/
Advertisement
Link Ninja
#2 Old 16th Aug 2016 at 8:35 PM
I think maybe fanfiction isn't the most accurate term for sims since they are your custom sims, it looks like. They are yours for all intents and purposes so it would just be your original sim stories. I took a look at the link and I like the visual format you have for the introductions and the quality of the pics too! IMO I always like pics along with stories, it says 'read more' but there doesn't seem to be more but I would read it! There is one sim story I am into right now called 'Deceived ' by Steph. I love it because it has very good quality pics that go right along with the story. The story is also compelling. Though I don't mind reading 'slice of life' sim writings either.

I am actually putting my foot in the writing ring as well with a sims story arc on my tumblr.

Uh oh! My social bar is low - that's why I posted today.

Field Researcher
#3 Old 16th Aug 2016 at 8:42 PM
To be honest, I'm not sure how I feel about pictures of werewolf sims doing it doggy style.
Link Ninja
#4 Old 16th Aug 2016 at 8:52 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Vladora
To be honest, I'm not sure how I feel about pictures of werewolf sims doing it doggy style.

what sims stories have YOU been reading

Field Researcher
#5 Old 16th Aug 2016 at 9:10 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Charmful
what sims stories have YOU been reading

The one the OP posted. ; )
Link Ninja
#6 Old 16th Aug 2016 at 9:18 PM
The one the OP posted. ; )

That must have been in the mature content that I couldn't see because I wasn't signed in...

So, okay that was a twist. I was not expecting supernaturals.

Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#7 Old 16th Aug 2016 at 11:15 PM
I only see bios about sims. I would rather pass on what was mentioned above.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Alchemist
#8 Old 16th Aug 2016 at 11:30 PM
like another poster, not sure of the term fan fiction being accurate.
"fan fiction" seems to imply that at least part of it was based on someone else's work.
Scholar
#9 Old 17th Aug 2016 at 12:34 AM
I'm writing a fanfiction because it is the Maxis Sims...as for a fic with original Sims...I mean that's cool, but it might as well just be an original novel

"Oh look, my grandchild is now an elder. They grow up so fast. Gee, I wonder when I'll finally graduate college." Sims 2
Test Subject
Original Poster
#10 Old 17th Aug 2016 at 1:25 AM
Quote: Originally posted by mdsb759
like another poster, not sure of the term fan fiction being accurate.
"fan fiction" seems to imply that at least part of it was based on someone else's work.

Well maybe I should just say Sims fiction.

Of course like a regular drama it has sex and other things going on.

The werewolf u saw was named Kemet and he's a central character.

Kemet is a werewolf and he runs his own small grocery store that sells the products he grows himself. His love interest is named Lillian whose a normal sim but the woman he was with is a girl he spends time with in his other form.
Instructor
#11 Old 17th Aug 2016 at 3:57 AM
I agree with the above definitions of Maxis vs. original Sims.

I do enjoy reading stories about the Maxis sims! My concern though, with "fanfiction"...Sims is such a visual form. The stories I read all come with pictures and I generally don't think of fanfiction involving anything but text. I guess it IS technically fanfiction still but the camera works feels less like fiction, I guess? If that makes sense.
Mad Poster
#12 Old 17th Aug 2016 at 4:44 AM
It really doesn't. (Puts on author hat, a very fetching little straw number with bluebonnets on it, and gets all intense.)

All categories are arbitrary conveniences, but certain broad categories are useful regardless. The distinctions between a true story, a fictional story, and a lie (a story intended to be perceived as true even though it is not) are vitally useful. The distinctions among media - i. e., the spoken voice, the sung voice, written text narrative, body movements, static drawings, photographs, moving pictures (drawn or photographic), and combinations thereof - are real but less vital and in any case independent. All three types of stories can be told in any of the media mentioned. It would be a lot of work to tell a non-fiction story through sim pictures, but it is far from impossible.

The categories of "Fiction" and "Fanfiction" are typical categories in that they are clear enough in broad detail but fuzzy at the edges, which is exactly where simstories are located. Fiction, in modern parlance, involves original characters and situations created by the author. Fanfiction involves characters created by someone else. But wouldn't that make Rick Riordan's Heroes of Olympus series fanfiction, since he didn't invent the Greek pantheon? Well, no (shuffling of academic feet) because Greek mythology is folklore and Riordan is using his original interpretation of the characters and situations of Greek myth and, and it's just different, all right? Because classical mythology belongs to everybody, right! And you have all just thought of some fanfiction that used Harry Potter (which belongs to everyone of this generation anyway) just as originally as Riordan did the Greeks, and you see what I mean about categories getting fuzzy at the edges?

A great deal of the distinction between original fiction and fan fiction is based on modern concepts of intellectual property, which quickly get far more complicated than I can sort out. But for purposes of making useful distinctions, the broad criterion "somebody currently alive holds the rights to this intellectual property, and is not participating in the production of the fiction in any way" is a satisfactory way to distinguish between original fiction and fanfiction (and creates an intermediate category that may be called "licensed fiction" and is generally work-for-hire). In that case, a sim story using the Maxis characters, or even the original characters in a player-made neighborhood created by someone other than the author, would clearly be a fanfiction. But a story told using screenshots staged and taken using a licensed game engine as the storytelling medium is still using intellectual property belonging to EAGames. So does that make it a fanfiction? Mmmm....maybe. But nobody would argue that a picture created on a Mac using Mac software was a fanfiction, even though the software is licensed by Macintosh - because the software was created and licensed for the purpose of creating original pictures. And the Sims games are created and licensed for the purpose of creating little simulacra of people to act out stories, so that makes it a medium, right? Again, maybe. The courts have not spoken, but you can bet if anyone makes a network cartoon using Sims2 as the medium you can bet they will! But you see how quickly the borders get muddy and pedantry on the point becomes useless!

I suspect that aleta has fallen into the habit of referring to all amateur writing as "fanfiction," and an argument can be made for the utility of that way usage. In some circles it's understood in that way well enough to function as jargon, which is just the specific vocabulary of a particular subculture. I've followed that usage myself, when I've referred to the text pieces I've written about the Widespot characters as "ficcing myself." Widespot is an original creation, using the Sims 2 as a medium; the little text fictions I've written about it call on my professional skills, but are dashed off for fun, ignoring all professional considerations, and they read far more like fanfiction than they do like my books.

TL;DR: Categories are fuzzy, usage is complicated, and the important thing is that we all understand each other as well as possible.

And there's a forum in which to post stories, but please warn of NSFW content.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Test Subject
Original Poster
#13 Old 17th Aug 2016 at 4:50 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Peni Griffin
I suspect that aleta has fallen into the habit of referring to all amateur writing as "fanfiction,"

Sorry about that. Like I said earlier I should just refer this as Fiction Writing. I want to include photos of each chapter and a brief summary like I did with the personal biographies. I'm hoping I can get fans by linking them to the chapter photos at the beginning and then ask for reviews at the end. I hope it makes sense what I'm trying to do and that you all will read and comment on the first chapter that I post.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#14 Old 17th Aug 2016 at 4:52 AM

There WILL be sim sex scenes in the story. Just letting you know that now. Lol
Mad Poster
#15 Old 18th Aug 2016 at 1:11 AM
Peni, in one sense any game-play sims story (as opposed to posed) is a true story, because it happened!

Pics from my game: Sunbee's Simblr Sunbee's Livejournal
"English is a marvelous edged weapon if you know how to wield it." C.J. Cherryh