Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
#26 Old 2nd Feb 2012 at 5:15 PM
I was going to say that it's not true that only AwesomeMod gives unique looking sims. The nRass story mod totally controls my population. I have 40 sims in my sim bin that I downloaded from various sites. All of my sims come from that gene pool. My sims are very unique looking. There are some very attractive sims, and some extremly fuggo sims -- and I've gradually weeded out the bad genes that made sims look freakishly inhumanly bad (discovered it came from incompatible face sliders causing sims to have facial deformities not present in either parent)

Anyway, it IS possible to have a very diverse population with Twallan's mods.
Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
#27 Old 3rd Feb 2012 at 3:52 AM
Quote: Originally posted by calisims
You can turn the pop ups off, or tune them so you only get ones related to your Sims friends and/or relatives. Under all the Options tabs there are options for Stories, so if you don't want to hear about how anyone is getting on their careers, you can go to Options>Careers>Stories and turn them off, or set them to only get pop ups about you friends, or relatives.
Same with every other option, for relationships, etc.

I personally love getting those messages. I don't want to play every Sim in town, but I do want to know what they are up to. So when my Sim's kid meets a kid at school, I already know their history, what their parents do, what kind of relationship they have. And it works into my story about my kid's relationship with this kid.

I set it so that they will only show messages by friends and families. Makes more sense that way. You dont befriend everyone in your town on FB and follow their updates. Just close friends and family. Same goes for my sims.
Test Subject
#28 Old 19th Jun 2012 at 12:13 AM
I have a question i recently made a world with caw and i need to know how to populate for every one to see for example with starlight shores no matter who family your on you will see the buckshot family how do you do that with create a world
And all the maladies of the world burst forth from Pandora's cooch
#29 Old 19th Jun 2012 at 1:14 AM
add a lot, and put the Buckshot family in it.
Eminence Grise
#30 Old 19th Jun 2012 at 3:10 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Pdennis
add a lot, and put the Buckshot family in it.

If only it were that simple

There are two approaches to providing prepopulated worlds with CAW. One is to complete the world, save it, play it, and populate it the usual way in-game, and then save the game and provide the savegame file for download with the world file.

The other way is more complicated, and involves using several cheats and mods. CAW was not designed for prepopulated worlds, and only through persistent inquiry was the modding community able to figure it out. Here's Kiwi Tea's great tutorial: http://www.modthesims.info/wiki.php...ting_CAW_Worlds

If you have questions or want more information about this, I'd suggest the CAW forum: http://www.modthesims.info/forumdisplay.php?f=616
Test Subject
#31 Old 1st Dec 2012 at 6:01 PM
Apologies for resurrecting this topic, but the question asked is still up-to-date.

I've started a new game in "New Sunset Valley" which is unpopulated by default.

I introduced about 20 premade Sims and started playing.

I´ve soon noticed that the engine populates various original EA-Sims for role- and type-NPC's. That's very appreciated.

But I can't cope with the fact that my unemployed premade sims are also recruited for lesser services e.g. consignment clerk and the like.

I'm using awesomemod and just installed master controller. Story progression is disabled for now. I tried playing each premade household actively for a day and save in order to signal the game that these sims are untouchable, but to no avail. They are pressed into service immediately again after changing the household.

I remember not having this problem 2 years ago. I guess this problem occurs only due to the World-Adventures-EP-Community-Buildings placed into the New Sunset Valley-neighbourhood.

Is there a way to distinguish unemployed playable sims so that they aren't abused as workers?

Big thanks in advance!
Theorist
#32 Old 1st Dec 2012 at 7:18 PM Last edited by tangie0906 : 1st Dec 2012 at 7:30 PM.
Twallan's Register mod allows you to select which sim you want in those other roles. His SP mod also allows you to set household options so for sims who are already employed in the career I want them to have, I set the 'allow find job' option to false.

As for those pudding sims mentioned earlier, I also use the option to use my bin for immigration available with Twallan's mod. But my NPC's like bartenders and the like are all those horrible vanilla pudding sims. I pretty much hate that face after seeing it so often.

Edit - forgot to mention that a non-mod way to populate a town is to move in a large family of adults/kids/teens. Get the adults jobs (not the self-employed careers) and have them start to get to know their co-workers. Do the same for the kids/teens in school - have them meet friends. Each time you do this, a new family will be created to account for the sims your sims are meeting. It's not as fast as the mods, but at least it does add some new sims to the neighborhood.

¢¾ Receptacle Refugee ¢¾ ~ Where are we going, and why am I in this handbasket!? ~
Laura's Legacy
Test Subject
#33 Old 3rd Dec 2012 at 1:57 AM
Thank you for answering. I installed nraas register hack and left the settings as they were, because this one seems exactly what i was looking for:

"Allow Resident Assignment

Whether to allow unemployed residents to be automatically assigned role positions
Default: False"

But now there's another similar problem: unemployed sims are recruited as co-workers for active sims.

e.g. my sim went to work for the first time and met a co-worker at work who was one of my unemployed pre-made sims from another household.
When i switched households to this particular sim i realized that something was wrong. Usually i save the game at night when everybody is at home sleeping.
But everytime i revisit a household i find my sims scattered around the town doing stuff and having new cars in their inventory.
Story progression is off, so from my understanding such things shouldnt happen.

I wish there was a way to stop the game-engine to interfere, or at least set the priority-list for choosing sims right. I need some help here, please. I now the game is just trying to react to the lack of sims, but it should be managable in a more elegant way.
Scholar
#34 Old 3rd Dec 2012 at 5:19 AM
NRaas Story Progression gives unemployed sims a 'fake' retired career that prevents them being lassoed for coworker positions.

If you don't want to turn on any kind of story progression, I guess you could give them self-employed careers. For all intents and purposes they behave like they're unemployed then.
Test Subject
#35 Old 3rd Dec 2012 at 10:35 AM
No, i don't want to use story progression. So all unemployed sims have freelance-jobs now as a workaround.

But still, time does not stand still for "passive" households.
When i revisit households they lose/gain cairs due to weird npc-jobs, or simply are out of sync with time. e.g. they are tired with low energy and have to work very soon.
This is annoying. Maybe there's a conflict between awesomemod and nraas-products?
Theorist
#36 Old 3rd Dec 2012 at 7:56 PM
This is a simple question, all you have to do is incest like you've never incested before. I'm talking birthday cakes the day after they're born, age them up, make em adults and incest it all the way till your town is populated.
Test Subject
#37 Old 3rd Dec 2012 at 11:21 PM Last edited by lightsaber : 3rd Dec 2012 at 11:42 PM.
Haha, I understand your humor. The problem with force-assigned jobs seems to be solved with the workaround (all sims have at least a self-employed career). If the AI needs more sims it is able to create as many as needed. I dont care about pudding-faces.

But somehow the story-progression can't be turned off !

e.g. I placed a solo female kat some time ago. Now it has 4 offsprings already.

Somehow story-progression is really messed up. It is definately deactivated in options, but there are still changes de facto.

Damn, I have already spend too much time trying to get the game working as intended.
Any ideas about self-willed astory-progression?
Scholar
#38 Old 4th Dec 2012 at 12:16 AM
I didn't know you could play without story progression. I thought you could opt out of EA if you have something to replace it with, but you can't just have no progression. I could totally be wrong though. Maybe you need to look at lowering freewill.
Eminence Grise
#39 Old 4th Dec 2012 at 3:25 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Periandre
I didn't know you could play without story progression. I thought you could opt out of EA if you have something to replace it with, but you can't just have no progression. I could totally be wrong though. Maybe you need to look at lowering freewill.

There's a checkbox in options in the unmodded game. You can just uncheck it

Quote: Originally posted by lightsaber
No, i don't want to use story progression. So all unemployed sims have freelance-jobs now as a workaround.

But still, time does not stand still for "passive" households.

Turning off story progression does not stop time, and not all activities are controlled by story progression. If you want to play TS2 style, where time stops for unplayed households, there are ways to achieve that either through NRaas mods and Awesomemod... I'd recommend researching it at their respective forums
Lab Assistant
#40 Old 4th Dec 2012 at 3:11 PM
i have a question about NRaas story progression, it used to work just great with my game before i installed 1.42 patch and seasons, i noticed that the gameplay became much slower with a lot of freezes (not crashes) and i tried to play in low graphic settings to speed the game a little bit, but that didnt help much, i use Regsiter & Overwatch & Mastercontroller & some NRaas careers and they dont affect my gameplay speed, the Question is how i can play with NRaas story progression without having these freezes and the slow gameplay ?, can i change the settings somehow to speed my game a little bit ?, if not is there another story progression mod the doesnt slow down my game (other than AM) ??
One Minute Ninja'd
#41 Old 4th Dec 2012 at 11:46 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Seether1990
i have a question about NRaas story progression, it used to work just great with my game before i installed 1.42 patch and seasons, i noticed that the gameplay became much slower with a lot of freezes (not crashes) and i tried to play in low graphic settings to speed the game a little bit, but that didnt help much, i use Regsiter & Overwatch & Mastercontroller & some NRaas careers and they dont affect my gameplay speed, the Question is how i can play with NRaas story progression without having these freezes and the slow gameplay ?, can i change the settings somehow to speed my game a little bit ?, if not is there another story progression mod the doesnt slow down my game (other than AM) ??

There are some tricks to slow down the rate of progression, so it causes less of a performance hit, however, it does put a hit on everyone's game. Posting your question on Twallan's site, and reviewing the FAQs and Q&As already there is the best way to get accurate info.
Test Subject
#42 Old 4th Mar 2014 at 7:52 PM
I'm using a custom world for the first time, and if I'm understanding this thread right, StoryProgression mod will let me decide which families have story progression on and which not? That'd be great if it's true, cause I absolutely hate playing with story progression on, I want my families to be exactly the way I want them to be, but I don't mind families I have no plans playing to progress, and I do have to populate this world somehow.
One Minute Ninja'd
#43 Old 5th Mar 2014 at 12:50 AM
Quote: Originally posted by beep_sc
I'm using a custom world for the first time, and if I'm understanding this thread right, StoryProgression mod will let me decide which families have story progression on and which not? That'd be great if it's true, cause I absolutely hate playing with story progression on, I want my families to be exactly the way I want them to be, but I don't mind families I have no plans playing to progress, and I do have to populate this world somehow.

If you follow the FAQs at NRaas about Story Progression, you will find different approaches to selective progression of each family. However, no family will remain frozen in time like they would be in TS2. That level of progression "freezing" isn't possible in 3. They will still do stuff when you're not actively managing them. They might not change careers, change relationships, or move, but they will still be pushed to do things like work and do stuff around town.
Test Subject
#44 Old 24th Jul 2014 at 2:00 PM Last edited by SarahARoyce : 25th Jul 2014 at 6:40 AM.
I'm currently working on a world, Sagan Harbour that I want to pre populate. And I experimented and saw that I can port Mermaids with nRaas. But I also recognized another problem: Any mermaid has a history, and my family of mermaids has amassed quite some game hours. And that means the family has quite some overhead I suppose, like memories and such. Will that be a problem?
Alchemist
#45 Old 24th Jul 2014 at 8:14 PM
Well, you could just sit for some days and create families and different sims (about 90-110 I'd say). Then plop them out in different houses using the free estate cheat (keep in mind that Nraas story progression would help you a lot)
Field Researcher
#46 Old 24th Jul 2014 at 8:56 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ZenGarden
Well, you could just sit for some days and create families and different sims (about 90-110 I'd say). Then plop them out in different houses using the free estate cheat (keep in mind that Nraas story progression would help you a lot)

You could use nraas story progression to rapidly populate your town with sims generated entirely from the genetics of your sim bin. My experiment with that used a gene pool that was maybe a little too shallow but I'd say about 30-40 would probably be a good number with that and at least be less work than 90-110.
dodgy builder
#47 Old 24th Jul 2014 at 11:24 PM
I populated my world with 200 sims and it was a big job. Does that mean that I can make the storyline sims and then just generate the rest from what I already have. They won't just look like a slightly better pudding than an EA then or what?
Test Subject
#48 Old 15th Aug 2014 at 12:56 AM
Quote: Originally posted by MiniMimi
Awesomod have a handy code for that: "spawnmoreoverlords". Type that without the quotes and 30 to 60 sims will be created, depending of the population you already have. It created 54 sims in an empty world IIRC. I'm not sure but apparently they were all YA, which means new active genes for the hood.
As Pescado explained with AM installed, the generated sims will have different faces - I saw some beautiful random sims (!) and just having sims without the potato head is, well, awesome. The code works even if you don't have the awesome story mod activated and use Twallan's!

I did the code but it said unknown code and didn't do anything
Mad Poster
#49 Old 15th Aug 2014 at 3:43 PM
I use NRaas Mods and that includes story progression in my games and I found a great world called Glenvale County to use for when I just want to play another creator's world and it's unpopulated in new games.I just set things up so story progression is TS2 style and I din't have to tangle with random households moving into my towns though new households do get moved in as long as I move the ones I want into town.My other three usual towns are Gibsons,Winfield and Oak Leaf which are all very empty at the start of new games and I just add my own playable population though NPC's are also added for services and roles.
Test Subject
#50 Old 5th Jun 2016 at 8:55 AM
This is good information. thank you :D
Page 2 of 3