Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 30th Jul 2015 at 9:07 PM
Default Installing The Sims 1 on Windows 10?
Hey all, I wanted to know if anyone found a way to get the first Sims working on Windows 10? I just got the game, and I really wanted to play it, but the setup exe won't open.
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 31st Jul 2015 at 3:59 AM
From what I've read, it doesn't work. You can try running the exe in compatibility mode though. It works a surprising amount of times for me!

The Sims 4! Weirder Sims! Aren't they weird!? Look how weird they are! Bet you can't wait to see how weird their stories are!?
Instructor
#3 Old 31st Jul 2015 at 2:09 PM
Quote: Originally posted by MarcyRoars
From what I've read, it doesn't work. You can try running the exe in compatibility mode though. It works a surprising amount of times for me!

I tried all sorts of compatibility modes and finally got "incompatible game." I came here in hopes that someone had found an answer.
Instructor
#4 Old 1st Aug 2015 at 1:31 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Hamishmc
I tried all sorts of compatibility modes and finally got "incompatible game." I came here in hopes that someone had found an answer.

That's a shame. It could just be that The Sims 1 is doomed to not be compatible with Windows 10, which is very likely. I don't think there is an easy way around this without messing up the game itself...

The Sims 4! Weirder Sims! Aren't they weird!? Look how weird they are! Bet you can't wait to see how weird their stories are!?
Test Subject
#5 Old 1st Aug 2015 at 6:58 PM
If it helps, the only way I can run mine on Windows 8 is right click the exe and click run as administrator. I know yours is Windows 10, which I've never used, but I know it took me a looong time to figure it out. It works like a charm now. Very best of luck!
Test Subject
#6 Old 10th Aug 2015 at 7:23 AM
I don't know if you're still checking this or trying, but I managed to get it to install by doing the following

First open task manager, go to the details tab and make sure no instances of 'start.exe' are running. The autorun launcher seems to be incompatible with Windows 10.

Then go to the Setup folder on the disc, right click on setup.exe and run as administrator and hopefully this works for you too :/
Mad Poster
#7 Old 10th Aug 2015 at 2:39 PM
Thank you, ElectricSimmer. I did not want to install windows 10 until I heard if it could run some of my favorite games, Sims 1 being one of them.
Test Subject
#8 Old 15th Aug 2015 at 9:32 AM
Ok I have an unfortunate update on this. Windows 10 has no support for Safedisc, the DRM that The Sims 1 uses. This is why the launcher doesn't load when you put the disk in or try to run start.exe. And even if you run the game installer manually through the steps I provided above, the game still won't load after it's installed as Windows 10 blocks the Safedisc service from running.

Unfortunately the only way to circumvent this is to install the game then use a No-CD (if i'm not allowed to mention those please just edit my post in some way). I found this out by accident as I had run the game successfully from my first installation of Windows 10 (had to do a clean install after, upgrade had issues) buuuuuuuuuuuuuuut I was using a No-CD executable because I couldn't be bothered having the disc in the drive whenever I wanted to play. After reinstalling the game it wouldn't load so I copied and pasted the .exe from the old install that worked previously.
Field Researcher
#9 Old 20th Apr 2016 at 11:02 AM
This is an old thread but I found this video on youtube by a person who uploads a lot of ts1 gameplay about a fix for the game to work on windows 10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1DEchthl2M