Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 7th Sep 2005 at 2:39 PM Last edited by Anshin Lanugo : 7th Sep 2005 at 3:26 PM.
Default How Do I – make parts of objects transparent?
I’m trying to follow mike190870’s tutorial on how to make parts of objects transparent.
http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=79870

The tutorial is wonderful, but I can’t figure out how to preserve the transparency in Photoshop when I want to save the texture as a .PNG file.

Here is exactly what I am doing:

1 – I export the texture from SimPE as a .PNG file
2 – I open the .PNG file in Adobe Photoshop
3 – I select all, and copy the picture
4 – I create a new document, and select “transparent” for the background under Contents in the New window, and click OK
5 – I paste the image from the clipboard onto the new transparent background.
6 – I cut out all the parts I want to be transparent
7 – I click “preserve transparency” in the Layers window.

Now is where I start to have problems.

When I try to save the file while part of it is transparent, the only file option I get is to save as a photoshop document .PSD

If I flatten the image, the transparent part becomes white (not transparent), but then I’m allowed to save in other file types like .PNG

Please see my pictures below to see what I’m talking about.

Could someone explain how to make part of a texture transparent in Adobe Photoshop?

Thank you!
Screenshots

Not buying TS4 until Terrain Sculpting is back and cheatless Split Levels are added!
Here's an idea: Stairs Pitch Slider.
"...We've always been at war with EAstasia."
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 9th Sep 2005 at 3:35 PM
Don't flatten, just merge visible in layers, try that...

Quote: Originally posted by Anshin Lanugo
I’m trying to follow mike190870’s tutorial on how to make parts of objects transparent.
http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=79870

The tutorial is wonderful, but I can’t figure out how to preserve the transparency in Photoshop when I want to save the texture as a .PNG file.

Here is exactly what I am doing:

1 – I export the texture from SimPE as a .PNG file
2 – I open the .PNG file in Adobe Photoshop
3 – I select all, and copy the picture
4 – I create a new document, and select “transparent” for the background under Contents in the New window, and click OK
5 – I paste the image from the clipboard onto the new transparent background.
6 – I cut out all the parts I want to be transparent
7 – I click “preserve transparency” in the Layers window.

Now is where I start to have problems.

When I try to save the file while part of it is transparent, the only file option I get is to save as a photoshop document .PSD

If I flatten the image, the transparent part becomes white (not transparent), but then I’m allowed to save in other file types like .PNG

Please see my pictures below to see what I’m talking about.

Could someone explain how to make part of a texture transparent in Adobe Photoshop?

Thank you!
Instructor
Original Poster
#3 Old 9th Sep 2005 at 7:33 PM
Quote: Originally posted by tabbylou
Don't flatten, just merge visible in layers, try that...

I don't get that option.
(I see it in the Layer menu, but it's greyed out)
The only option I get is to Flatten Image.

At step 5, when I paste the picture on the new transparent background,
the only layer I have is "Layer 1" there are no other layers,
and nothing called background.
Texturing God
#4 Old 9th Sep 2005 at 7:51 PM
Hi

I think you should try DDS, it's far better than png files and easier to work with. You need to install the nVidia tools for Photoshop:

http://developer.nvidia.com/object/dds_utilities.html

Once you install these plugins, simply create your texture like you always have, but keep the size a multiple of 32 (eg. 128 x 128, 256 x 256, 512 x 512, 1024 x 1024, 256 x 512, etc...), then in your layers palette you should have a "channels" tab. In here you put a new layer for the "alpha channel" which is the white and black representation of your textures for the parts you need transparent (white is solid, black is transparent, grayscales are semi transparent).

Then, once you have your texture ready with an alpha channel included, click save a copy and save as DDS. A pannel should appear for the file options. Keep the as they are, just make sure you have the following options checked:

Explicit Alpha (DXT3)
Generate MipMaps
Dither Color

Then in SimPe, right click on the texture image (not on the filename, but on the actual texture image) and select import DDS, then select your dds file and you will see your texture with the transparency applied.

Using dds is the best because it's compression is better than when you use png or bmp files.

Then, depending on the type of transparency you want, you need to change the settingins in the MATD file.

If you only need a cutout and no semitransparent parts then set the "stdMatAlphaTestEnabled" to 1 and the "stdMatAlphaBlendMode" to none. If you need semi transparent parts and an alpha channel then set "stdMatAlphaTestEnabled" to 1 and "stdMatAlphaBlendMode" to blend. If you only need a semitransparent object with no alpha (like a crystal glass) set "stdMatAlphaTestEnabled" to 0 and "stdMatAlphaBlendMode" to blend and then "stdMatUntexturedDiffAlpha" to less than 1 (which is solid), for example 0.22.

Hope this helps

If you want to get my creations please visit my site. ExnemSims .
Instructor
Original Poster
#5 Old 9th Sep 2005 at 7:56 PM
Can I import a DDS file back into SimPE for my recolour?

(SimPE exports as PNG so I figured I need to import the same)
Texturing God
#6 Old 9th Sep 2005 at 8:02 PM
Can I import a DDS file back into SimPE for my recolour?

(SimPE exports as PNG so I figured I need to import the same)

Sure... DDS are what maxis (and most games nowadays) use for their textures actually, so you're better off using dds than png or any other format for that matter.

Instructor
Original Poster
#7 Old 9th Sep 2005 at 8:18 PM
okay, I installed the nVidia photoshop plugins:

http://developer.nvidia.com/object/...ds_plugins.html

But I don't see the "channels" tab you refer to.
I can create a new layer, is that what you mean?

Is there an easy way to make an alpha?

If I just try to save a picture I don't see DDS as a save option.
What am I doing wrong?
Instructor
Original Poster
#8 Old 9th Sep 2005 at 8:24 PM
okay, I found the DDS problem.
The installer just dropped them in C:\Program Files
I put them in Plug-Ins and they work now.

I'm still unclear about the channels/layer alpha you refer to.
Instructor
Original Poster
#9 Old 9th Sep 2005 at 8:34 PM
Arg!
I try to save a picture as a DDS,
and the program tells me I need Adobe Photoshop 3 for it to work,
and then it crashes the whole thing.

I'm running Adobe Photoshop 5 LE
Maybe it's the LE that's causing the problem.

Any suggestions?
It seems DDS might not be my answer.
Texturing God
#10 Old 10th Sep 2005 at 12:45 AM
Arg!
I try to save a picture as a DDS,
and the program tells me I need Adobe Photoshop 3 for it to work,
and then it crashes the whole thing.

I'm running Adobe Photoshop 5 LE
Maybe it's the LE that's causing the problem.

Any suggestions?
It seems DDS might not be my answer.

Hmmm... Yes, it might be... LE is the Limited Edition which obviously has some tools and features stripped off, you may need the real thing.

It seems you're gonna have to use 2 images instead of 1.

So, what you have to do is:

Make your texture (color), it doesn't matter if you flatten the image as you are gonna make a separate image for the alpha channel.

Then in another image make your masks (white for solids, blacks for transparent)

Remember to keep the image sizes as multiples of 32 or the mipmaps wont work.

Save both images as bmp or png (I prefer bmp but it really doesnt matter).

Then in SimPE right click the texture image and click on "Import" then select your color image. Commit. Now right click the image again and select "Import Alpha Channel" and select your black and white image. Commit, then finally right click the image again and select "Update All Sizes" to create the mipmaps. Commit and save... That's it...

This is the hard way though, it really is much easier and faster with DDS once you get the hang of it.

Cheers

Instructor
Original Poster
#11 Old 13th Sep 2005 at 5:30 PM
*PROBLEM SOLVED*

My problem was that I didn't know you could right click on the picture in SimPE and export the alpha.

Once I figured that out, everything went fine.

Thanks to pfish, exnem, and everyone who helped!
#12 Old 15th Sep 2005 at 3:09 AM
Hey is there any other place to get these? They are not comming up? I have tried both the photoshop plugins and the DDS Utilities? :confused: