Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 9th Mar 2010 at 12:25 AM
Default What kind of Sims do you create?
I've been reading through lots of Sims 2 threads lately--I'm a fairly new addict--and it seems that most people create Sims who are kind of generic--or at least, the names I've seen seem like plain old ordinary people.

But I like to create Sims based on real people or fictional characters--like Morpheus, Jane and Elizabeth Bennet, Sirius Black, the entire Dashwood family, Grace Jones, Long Duck Dong. . . you know--folks like that.

I was wondering if other players create Sims based on real people or fictional characters, or prefer to create unique Sims?
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 9th Mar 2010 at 1:19 AM
I've found most simmers to be pretty creative actually, lots like playing supernatural sims or TV/film characters and then putting their own twists on them.

Normally I create my self sim to start a legacy and then play the ancestors. However I do also create non-real sims and then play them when the legacy is boring, such as the family I am currently playing. They are generation 4/5 and created because I wanted pointy ears to enter the gene pool in my NH. The entire family have been witches from generation 2 with many of them aliens: the mother, Ophelia, is a werewolf-witch-vampire hybrid who is married to her servo and has two alien daughters (Cudos and Cang lol). Her sister also lives with them.
Forum Resident
#3 Old 9th Mar 2010 at 4:19 AM
I hate creating sims. I can't stand using CAS and would rather play the pre-mades. It's funny because most simmers I know delete the neighborhoods or pre-made sims. I love playing them. On the rare occasion that I do create a sim it's usually based off someone I know in real life. I'm not creative with last names so I just use the phone book and point to a family name.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 9th Mar 2010 at 4:52 AM
I hate premade sims. I don't like "ugly" sims but I do like sims with an unusual look or character. I usually download or try to make celebrity sims and play them. I don't like legacies because once the original parents die, I can't stand their fugly/stupid kids. Occasionally I've made self/husband sims but I find it kind of creepy to play us. :b
Forum Resident
#5 Old 9th Mar 2010 at 4:56 AM
Quote: Originally posted by edejan
Occasionally I've made self/husband sims but I find it kind of creepy to play us. :b

I've been telling my boyfriend that I'll make us in the game but I'm terrible at making sims look like the people they're supposed to look like. And I can't imagine how hard it'd be to make a self-sim.
Test Subject
#6 Old 9th Mar 2010 at 5:01 AM
I've done all my friends at one point (including me & my own family).
I've done Edgar Allan Poe & Lenore.
I made "Married with Children" sims but haven't played them.

I just recently just started playing with the original people on there for a change. I usually make the stepford wife kinda looking people who are almost TO pretty and perfect. I don't like the "ugly sims" either.... trying to break that.
Mad Poster
#7 Old 9th Mar 2010 at 5:39 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Bwinney43
I've been telling my boyfriend that I'll make us in the game but I'm terrible at making sims look like the people they're supposed to look like. And I can't imagine how hard it'd be to make a self-sim.

Hahaha...it's easy if you make your self-sim a little less realistic and a little more idealized.
Forum Resident
#8 Old 9th Mar 2010 at 5:37 AM
Quote: Originally posted by edejan
Hahaha...it's easy if you make your self-sim a little less realistic and a little more idealized.

lol yeah but then it would just be some gorgeous sim with my name. And then I'd get jealous and hate that sim too much and refuse to play her :D
Instructor
Original Poster
#9 Old 9th Mar 2010 at 9:22 AM
That's so interesting to hear people's viewpoints on it! I freaked my mother out when I showed her the Sim I based on myself--she did a double-take because it looked so much like me! She didn't like the one I based on her, though--

"I don't have gray hair!"

"All elders have to have gray hair, Mom."

"Then make me younger!"
Scholar
#10 Old 9th Mar 2010 at 1:14 PM
I made a Sim family of somebody I know once, when I first started playing - and then their kids got taken by the social worker, when in RL they're some of the best parents I know. I felt too guilty to ever make Sims of real people again.
Scholar
#11 Old 9th Mar 2010 at 1:36 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ForeverCamp
I made a Sim family of somebody I know once, when I first started playing - and then their kids got taken by the social worker, when in RL they're some of the best parents I know. I felt too guilty to ever make Sims of real people again.

I made my own family in Sims... starting it off with me as a child and my little sister as a toddler! I was horrified when, the day my simself was due to transition to a teen me and my sister were taken by the social worker - due to my sis not doing her homework!
Needless to say, I quit without saving and re-played us. This time I had sis working like mad on her homework but we survived, both went to college and now have given my sim-parents grandkids! I don't fancy the idea of letting my parent sims die though! That's about my only hang-up with RL-based simmies. I've also made sims of my best friends, though haven't played them very far as yet...

As for other sims - I don't really like the fugly ones either (could never do an "uglacy") but sometimes they can produce rather nice kids. My legacies have never got very far (I deleted the neighbourhoods they were in as had pretty much done everything you shouldn't do in them!) but the kids I'd got were actually okay-looking. Personalities were fine too.

No need to use my full name, "Selly" will do just fine.
Scholar
#12 Old 9th Mar 2010 at 1:34 PM
Too freaky for me to make Sims thats look like myself or friends. I just try to make Sims that don't look repellent. I let their personality dictate as to what clothes, hair, makeup and jewelry they use. I might have a preconceived notion of what they will like but if they freak out in the mirror I will switch it around.

"How could you like that hair? You looked better before!"
Forum Resident
#13 Old 9th Mar 2010 at 2:40 PM
The only sims I've made that have been based on real people are myself and my boyfriend, and they never get past the point of having a child older than a toddler. Most sims I just hit the randomize button in CAS a couple of times and either edit them in to a sim who'll end up in the 'hood, or make them a parent of a sim who'll end up in the 'hood if I want them to have recessive genes.

I will admit that I have a hard time playing sims if they don't have a story behind them -- if I'm making sims for a new 'hood, they have to have some kind of story behind them to motivate me, otherwise they quickly get deleted. The only exception was my first ever custom 'hood, mainly because I was so thrilled to be playing sims who were all created by me.

Angelos Town Prosperity updated 11th June 2012. | Albion Falls BACC updated 25th April 2011.

Watch my Livesimming Channel -- 17th June 6PM GMT (2PM EST) Cresdale: Rules and Regulations (Part 2)
Forum Resident
#14 Old 9th Mar 2010 at 2:53 PM Last edited by Bwinney43 : 9th Mar 2010 at 4:16 PM. Reason: Grammar/spelling mistake.
Quote: Originally posted by katya_stevens
I will admit that I have a hard time playing sims if they don't have a story behind them -- if I'm making sims for a new 'hood, they have to have some kind of story behind them to motivate me, otherwise they quickly get deleted. The only exception was my first ever custom 'hood, mainly because I was so thrilled to be playing sims who were all created by me.

Yeah I feel the same way. I also find it hard playing sims that have no skills or job at all. Most of the pre-mades have some skills already and are at some level in their career. It's just easier to start off at that point than to go into a household and make everyone study cooking so the damn stove doesn't burst into flames.
transmogrified
retired moderator
#15 Old 9th Mar 2010 at 3:32 PM
I couldn't play Sims based on real people (celebrities or my acquaintances) or fictional characters in my regular game, but I might someday do an Asylum challenge with a random assortment. For regular play, aliens and elves are as far-out as I get, so I am always impressed by the players who create and use the amazing range of fantasy skins out there to create truly fantastic neighborhoods with Sims that are anything but ordinary people.
Site Helper
#16 Old 9th Mar 2010 at 4:54 PM
I can't make "normal" human sims. And I can't play sims with somebody else's story behind them, so I don't use celebrity sims, or any pre-made ones. (Although I do let my sims marry townies.) So I guess I create unique sims, although they do tend to have pointed ears and slightly oversized slanted eyes. But I often use a 20 sided die combined with a 6 sided die and the numbers that the game randomly assigned to each spot in their personality (which gets edited later) to generate a name for them.

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook
Instructor
Original Poster
#17 Old 9th Mar 2010 at 10:06 PM
I am finding this fascinating! I love my "celebrity" Sims! The few I have created who were not based on someone really bored me. This may change as I play more--I've only been at it for about a month.

But I just love seeing who hooks up with Sirius, or Elizabeth Bennet, and then playing it out.
Lab Assistant
#18 Old 9th Mar 2010 at 11:19 PM
I'm exactly the opposite I prefer making my own pixel people. Celebrity sims personally creep me out, and sims based on fictional characters just stump me. I made a neighborhood after my favorite fandom once, but after the novelty wore off, I didn't know what to do with those sims. I didn't wanna go all legacy on them, but endless smustling by the community pool was only funny for so long. Never played that hood anymore.

I guess I like the "normal" people. My favorite custom neighborhood is one full of "generic" people with "ordinary" names, living their little sim lives. When it needs some shaking up, I like making new sims at random, rolling their traits and then using what they tell me - personality, hobbies, LTW - to make up their story. Then I unleash them onto the hood and watch what history they build for themselves from that point on, who they will become friends with, who they'll fall in love with, if they'll have kids/pets/a ghost in the backyard or not, which sims' lives they'll affect, etc. There's so much going on all the time that I never get bored of these guys.

Even in my supernatural hood, which has practically no human sims left, it's the same. They may have more flowery fantasy names, but they're my vampires/werewolves/aliens/zombies, modelled only after what the dice decided, and then let loose to make their own stories. It's just how I prefer to play.

That said, I totally appreciate the premade hoods too. The sims already come with a pre-written background, yes, but their future is up to you to decide, and you don't have to do what the game tells you to - my dear Mortimer has never ever married that gold digger Dina in all the time I've had TS2, in example. And Strangetown has got to be my favorite neighborhood ever. :lovestruc Even when I've had to reset it after three/four generations down the family lines and lost everything I'd done, I never get bored of torturing Loki and finding new and fun ways to kill Circe.

So, hm. Yes. tl;dr I prefer to either make my own sims on my custom hoods, or play the premade ones. I wouldn't say they're "unique" because they're often fairly ordinary folks, but they're pretty fun to me.
Scholar
#19 Old 10th Mar 2010 at 2:43 AM
I don't enjoy playing sims based on real people, I much prefer sims that are different and unique, though I sometimes download pre-made sims. None of the pre-made sims are ever anyone famous, though. I almost downloaded a Johnny Depp sim once, but then I started thinking through the generations...and I haven't felt any such compulsion since.
Lab Assistant
#20 Old 10th Mar 2010 at 3:05 AM Last edited by cdanon : 10th Mar 2010 at 3:10 AM. Reason: Must resist meekificated writing style
Stuck in a rut for a year now. I continually play brown haired, green-eyed artistic hippies. Always bearded, long haired with specs...HP's oval glasses overjoyed me. That and crude biker chics Its so hard for me to make pretty boys! Slowly learning to variate, hence MtS helps liberate the mind.
Mad Poster
#21 Old 10th Mar 2010 at 3:05 AM
I like to make the occasional nerdy Sim with a sweater and glasses.

(Did I mention that my husband is kind of nerdy? :P)
Scholar
#22 Old 10th Mar 2010 at 3:10 AM
Nerdy husbands are the coolest. I want a nerdy husband someday.
Forum Resident
#23 Old 10th Mar 2010 at 5:38 AM
Really handsome masculine men with beards and muscles and dark hair/dark eyes. I'm so shallow

Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited, whereas imagination embraces the entire world, stimulating progress, giving birth to evolution.
Albert Einstein "What Life Means to Einstein"
Field Researcher
#24 Old 10th Mar 2010 at 11:07 PM
I usually play my self-sim - who looks at least partially like myself (just not in weight, because I don't feel like downloading custom bodyshapes.. lemme have my fantasy - even the standard Sims "fat" is about 100 simpounds too small, but it works. XD)

Then I go and create historical people I would have liked to have met and go from there. Half of the fun in Sims2 is making the people and the clothes to match the era, and then looking on here or the content finder in Simswiki to get what I need to portray the era.

VIND1CARE's Paris lot sets have enamored me ATM, so I've de-aged my selfSim to when I was a teenager and IN Paris, and I'm playing my youth again with a bit of a ghostly twist. It's great.
Lab Assistant
#25 Old 11th Mar 2010 at 4:17 PM
I never create celebrities or people I know because I'd feel the need to let the sim be like that real person. Since I love to read, I get my ideas quite easily. Name, looks, job, character... if I like someone, I create them. I like stay-at-home husbands with working wives especially. Gives me a thrill to watch him take care of the kids and do all the cleaning and cooking Oh well, sometimes I envy my sim girls.
Page 1 of 3