Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
#26 Old 29th Oct 2010 at 9:00 PM
There is some great information in this thread, and I have been copying to notepad some that is most helpful to me. I want to build my own apartment building, not a shell from a tall building, but one that can have several sim NPC families to move in. What I am confused about, do I furnish the NPC apartment, with the basics, so they can refresh when they go home? I haven't read anything on that question, and I asked Claeric for advise cause he built a apartment complex and he said no need to furnish the NPC apartments, but no sims were moving in the complex with the active sim he was playing.

I think I can carry on with building a complex, if I knew more about the NPC apartments.

Resident member of The Receptacle Refugees
Let's help fund mammograms for everyone. If you want to help, Click To Give @ The Breast Cancer Site Your click is free. Thank you.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#27 Old 29th Oct 2010 at 9:20 PM
Lewis, as far as I know NPC apartments will never been seen, they will be blacked out if built like the shells.
If you choose to not black out the other apartments you can probably add furniture so it wont all look so empty.
The thing is, the computer made NPC's themselves live "inside the door", so you will never actually see them move around inside.
You can ring the doorbell and call them out, but not go inside.
Mad Poster
#28 Old 29th Oct 2010 at 9:28 PM
Yeah, I understand the NPC will be blacked out and never will the active sim will go in the apartment, but I worry about the NPC ability to rejuvenate in the apartment. I guess it's my silly game logic.

Let's help fund mammograms for everyone. If you want to help, Click To Give @ The Breast Cancer Site Your click is free. Thank you.
Test Subject
#29 Old 29th Oct 2010 at 9:38 PM
I'm pretty sure you can only have one family per lot. The other apartments are empty areas with a permanently locked door. I think after seeing service NPCs (maids, repairmen, etc.) spawning from or disappearing at other "apartment" doors, that apartment doors serve as spawn points for NPCs. Also, if you "Ring Bell" the a service NPC comes out to talk to you. I'm not sure yet if specific NPCs are assigned to specific doors.

Added: Service NPCs automatically regenerate in service limbo, so you shouldn't have to worry about that.
Forum Resident
#30 Old 29th Oct 2010 at 10:23 PM
Okay, so I was able to expand the apartment and all, change the windows, the doors, everything, but the problem is: when I'm done with that, and I turn off all the cheats and try to into 'live mode' it just keeps loading (that tiny circle) and it just wont change to 'live mode'.
Has anyone else experienced this?
Scholar
#31 Old 30th Oct 2010 at 12:29 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Inge Jones
You can make your own apartment building, and I think the instructions are in the post immediately above yours

I read that but I wasn't too certain if that was just for building medium-rise residential lots, like townhouses or small apartments (which will come in handy for some ideas I've had, too bad you can only have one family) in the same way you'd make a house or if it also applies to constructing our own apartment tower. I'm quite interested in how to go about doing the latter. Would it be CAW or the same method posted above but with cheats to allow the building to be 30+ stories high?
Test Subject
#32 Old 30th Oct 2010 at 5:16 AM
Quote: Originally posted by laughingtoleave
Okay, so I was able to expand the apartment and all, change the windows, the doors, everything, but the problem is: when I'm done with that, and I turn off all the cheats and try to into 'live mode' it just keeps loading (that tiny circle) and it just wont change to 'live mode'.
Has anyone else experienced this?

It happened to me each time I tried to delete the hidden apartment door next to my unit. As someone mentioned earlier in this thread, the "neighbours" are probably spawned from the special door. When I leave in the special door and add another door I can get avoid the neverending loading circle.
Field Researcher
#33 Old 30th Oct 2010 at 5:35 AM
I can't seem to locate the skip level marker inside a building to delete it. I deleted all of the floor tiles on the floor above it, but I can't find it. Is it not a shiny orb like the others?
Scholar
#34 Old 30th Oct 2010 at 1:49 PM
I moved windows and walls using "testingcheats..." and "MOO". I built a bedroom to the left of the bathroom in the loft,1 ba apt and made the loft space wrap around in a u shape. But later when I wanted to change it back I couldn't delete the floor tiles (even though they weren't there before I put them there). I'll try RBBB to see if that allows me to remove them.

Thanks for the info Srikandi, I want to have my own community of created Sims in LN but also didn't want to evict/delete all the ingame sims since they perform the service jobs and act as journalist/papparazzi. The housing was limiting the number of Sims I could place in Apts and this should rectify the situation. I'd like to build a few 3 bdrm apts and also add a room for the butler in some of the duplex apts. THis info is really helpful.

It's Life...there are no rules.
You can see more of my creations at www.customsims3.com
Test Subject
#35 Old 30th Oct 2010 at 5:40 PM
Has anyone figured out how to get the trash shoots and wallmounted mailboxes? I converted the Vamp building, the tall building with two story penthouse but i get a normal garbage bin and mailbox... just seems wrong...
Test Subject
#36 Old 30th Oct 2010 at 10:06 PM
Is it possible to hack CAW shells to make it available in buydebug?
Eminence Grise
Original Poster
#37 Old 30th Oct 2010 at 10:47 PM
Quote: Originally posted by shihuacao
Is it possible to hack CAW shells to make it available in buydebug?

Yes. They've been found, and I know at least one person who's working on it. The mod creation tools also have to be updated for LN though So give em time!
Test Subject
#38 Old 31st Oct 2010 at 2:25 AM
Hopefully when they find them and hopefully make them available, they'll also find the mailboxes and trash chute as those are MIA as well :S
Test Subject
#39 Old 31st Oct 2010 at 11:45 AM
Quote: Originally posted by twilightgarden0
I can't seem to locate the skip level marker inside a building to delete it. I deleted all of the floor tiles on the floor above it, but I can't find it. Is it not a shiny orb like the others?

I have the same problem. With all the cheats on if I remove all the floor tiles all I see below is a black room. If the skip level marker is there, then I can't see it.

Anything we are missing out? Any advise please?
Test Subject
#40 Old 31st Oct 2010 at 12:17 PM
The markers are all coloured pure black. What I did to find those bastard things is turn on the grid lines indoors and I'll just notice a circle easily in the black room.
Theorist
#41 Old 31st Oct 2010 at 12:27 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Srikandi
Yes. They've been found, and I know at least one person who's working on it.

Whoop whoop! My sims said thanks for the update

#BlairWitchPetition
TS3 NEEDS: TENNIS COURTS > BUSES > PIGS/SHEEP
Can't find stuff in build and buy mode? http://www.nexusmods.com/thesims3/mods/1/?
Lab Assistant
#42 Old 31st Oct 2010 at 12:48 PM
What is the purpose of the buildings shells in CAW when you can merely use them for decoration? Is EA out to annoy us just for fun?!?!?

I play Sims in German, so I apologize in advance for any "funny/wrong English term" I might use when describing something about the game. ;)
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#43 Old 31st Oct 2010 at 1:25 PM
I think there is a good use for deco-only buildings, they add to the ambience of a hood.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Test Subject
#44 Old 1st Nov 2010 at 1:25 AM
Quick question, I accidently deleted a "skip floor marker", and now my game is super slow and glitchy. I put it back but it's still the same! Any tips?
Field Researcher
#45 Old 1st Nov 2010 at 1:28 AM
Quote: Originally posted by exclusteve
The markers are all coloured pure black. What I did to find those bastard things is turn on the grid lines indoors and I'll just notice a circle easily in the black room.

How do you turn that on?

I did find some skip level markers floating above the building that I thought might be what I needed, but it didn't seem to do anything when I deleted them. So I'm still stuck to editing one floor.
Test Subject
#46 Old 1st Nov 2010 at 3:50 AM
is there a way to add another few more floor from 5 floor? i tried to add more floor but all i get is can't create above highest level....
Lab Assistant
#47 Old 1st Nov 2010 at 6:31 AM
Quote: Originally posted by twilightgarden0
How do you turn that on?

I did find some skip level markers floating above the building that I thought might be what I needed, but it didn't seem to do anything when I deleted them. So I'm still stuck to editing one floor.

I have the exact same problem. I'm trying to makeover a club ( in french it's Le Brightmore, so I really don't know how it is called in english ) and everytime I try to edit the floor where the club actually is, I get this:

I tried by removing the skip level marker, but it didn't changed anything.

Does anybody succeed at editing a club ?

Take in consideration that I'm french and I try my best to write an understandable english :)

[ booboolalaland ] [ goodieslalaland ]
Lab Assistant
#48 Old 1st Nov 2010 at 7:05 AM
has anybody tried putting apartments in a basement?
i'd check, but i probably wont get a chance to play again until thursday.

sucks that you can't enter the npc apartments or even see them in them.
sometimes i wonder if EA does pointless things like that just to annoy people on purpose.

maybe they will add that ability in the next EP as a way to entice more people to buy it
Eminence Grise
Original Poster
#49 Old 1st Nov 2010 at 8:36 AM
Jynx over at CustomSims has unlocked the hidden highrise shells He has some interesting comments about working with them, too. Lots of research still to be done on this obviously, but now we have the means to do more of it

Also unlocks the callbox and mailbox!

http://www.customsims3.com/smf/index.php?topic=3044.0
Mad Poster
#50 Old 1st Nov 2010 at 8:41 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Srikandi
Also unlocks the callbox and mailbox!
http://www.customsims3.com/smf/index.php?topic=3044.0

That alone is worth a look.

Locked thread | Locked by: Don Babilon Reason: Say No! to thread necromancy.
Page 2 of 6