Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 12th Oct 2013 at 7:04 AM Last edited by blackdaisies : 12th Oct 2013 at 8:42 PM.
My custom world problem - "Cannot load saved game"
Hi all,

I just spent the better part of a year building this world, I hate for it to get stuck now! Basically, everything runs fine when I create the world and play the game. There are no glitches or errors, it's all smooth! I save the game, and if I reload, the thumbnail is greyed out and I get an error: ""Cannot load this save game. It may have been saved with expansion pack data that is no longer present on this system"

After doing many, many searches, I've figured out how to replace the meta.data file from this saved game from another saved game. I'll refer to this thread: http://modthesims.info/t/392247

Attempt #1: Started up another game using my custom world, saved that and copied that meta.data file into the problem save game file. No luck, save game still won't load.
Attempt #2: Grabbed the meta.data from an older Bridgeport saved file and used that. The game loaded!

However, any game I save after that won't load.

I'm assuming at this point that there is something wrong with my custom world. I opened up Elthram's Drift and St. Claire (custom worlds) and they saved and reloaded fine.

I have Ambitions, Late Night and World Adventures and fully patched. I also have Riverview installed. I have liberally used items from all these EPs and Riverview. CAW and Edit-in-game are running fine. I've used no custom content and have no mods installed other than the no drift camera mod for Late Night. There may be some sims store freebies in my game, but I don't believe I used them when building.

I've used the resource in this tutorial (Flagging the World as a city) to turn my world into a city.

I've also used Bridgeport weather resources for the weather.

Earlier exported versions of this world had no issues like this.

Can anyone point me out in the right direction on how to fix this problem? I'm currently running a bunch of tests, and re-exported my world from CAW, same results each time.

Update: After spending all morning testing, and exporting an older version of my world, I determined it was the resource file that I was importing to turn the world into a city. I tried to export Bridgeport's file and import that into my world, but with the same results.

Finally, I downloaded a Hex editor, went into S3PE and edited the resource myself. It now works as intended, and saved games remain saved and can be reloaded! It seems that my world isn't playing nice with these particular files being imported in. (Weather files seem okay though :p)
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 28th Oct 2013 at 6:34 AM
Test Subject
#3 Old 8th Nov 2013 at 1:37 AM
Time ago something similar happened to me. I was working in a world for months and then try to export the game, the same thing happened to me, I could not play saved games in that world. In my case I used the Tides Sunlit ini files to change the color of the sky and sea. Also use some objects from EA's store worlds (like chairs, sofas,paintings,etc.) but they were not from an original world file. I tried everything, like remove these objects, and even ini files but whitout luck... I can't get rid of that error, I would greatly appreciate if you could help me
Forum Resident
#4 Old 8th Nov 2013 at 9:39 PM
Quote: Originally posted by goth_ME
Time ago something similar happened to me. I was working in a world for months and then try to export the game, the same thing happened to me, I could not play saved games in that world. In my case I used the Tides Sunlit ini files to change the color of the sky and sea. Also use some objects from EA's store worlds (like chairs, sofas,paintings,etc.) but they were not from an original world file. I tried everything, like remove these objects, and even ini files but whitout luck... I can't get rid of that error, I would greatly appreciate if you could help me

I know if there is any punctuation in the name of the world, this will happen. Like; My World V.2
Test Subject
#5 Old 10th Nov 2013 at 6:14 AM
OMG thank you!!! That was the problem!!! the V.2 thaaaaaaaaaaaaaaank you
Test Subject
#6 Old 15th Sep 2023 at 10:11 PM
i took two steps at the same time and it worked.
1 - I changed the name of the file removing special characters and leaving it as it may have been a different one than the archive had when i started my save;
2 - I manually installed the world by copyng the .world file from "Electronic Arts/The sims 3/Installed worlds" to the installation folder under "\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\ GameData\ Shared\ NonPackaged\Worlds".

If the first step doesn't work, you can also try the second one.