Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 12th Jan 2017 at 8:18 PM Last edited by themysteriouscorn : 25th Mar 2017 at 6:35 PM. Reason: Time to make a new house!
Default TS3 Interior colors and patterns help! (Finished)
So... I recently started building this house from scratch. Here is the outside of the house which I have yet to add any landscaping or decor to since I'm saving that for the end, though I might need assistance with the landscaping later...

(It's night time because I didn't feel like waiting for it to become day for me to take the screenshot.)

Anyway, the only interior I have so far is part of the main floor. The problem is, I feel like it's not coming together nicely with the interior. You see, I'm trying to make it work with multiple colors and patterns that wouldn't be expected to look nice but do. Inspired by the pictures below...

They look really nice together! But then my attempt is... off...

I'm looking for suggestions of what I should add/remove, change the pattern and/or color of, or replace, but any suggestions would help.
Advertisement
dodgy builder
#2 Old 12th Jan 2017 at 9:12 PM
It's not always easy when you love colors like I do. I take it this is ts3?

In that case you have several different ways of making it work. If we look at your inspiration pictures the first one is a bit complicated borderline cluttered, the second one has that horrible green fabric.

Excuse my language, I can be quite rough sometimes.

The 3'rd picture is very easy to explain. Orange and that very azure blue is as close to complementary or very close. They are totally opposite on the color wheel. They will work. Then you have white and that fits with everything basically. If you combine 2 complementary colors, here the azure and the orange you will get brown, so basically that picture is as easy as you can get them. The metal adds a 3d dimention to the picture as well, adding to the interest in the picture.

The last picture is equally easy. They bought a blanket they liked and used the colors for the interior ... more or less

What I often find myself doing is making palettes on colourlovers from complementary colors and then use the palette maker to select colors closely related to each other, like blue, azure, lilac, purple and then I find a color on the other side to fresh it up a bit.

This was a very long post on complicated matters. I'll see if I can find you some pictures when I start up my stationary again.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 12th Jan 2017 at 10:25 PM
Yes, it is TS3. I would probably be playing TS4 if they had color customization like TS3 does, because I'm sort of OCD in that sense. And I tend to make my interiors alarmingly colorful which I've been trying to improve on..

Ah, I don't know. I disagree with you on the inspiration because although the first is sort of cluttered, it's not like a messy clutter, it's sort of like a organized clutter if that makes sense. And admittedly the green fabric is strange, but I feel like it looks neat. It's just so different. But that's a bit biased since I got my inspirations off of them so I'm bound to like them.

But I digress... I think your suggestion was very helpful and I'll replace some of the oranges and greens with more subtle cool colors like you suggested. (I actually think I'll use yellow instead of orange as my complimentary color because I find orange not fitting well with many other colors.) Maybe I'll try a yellow/teal/white/lilac/azure/periwinkle combination, having many similar colors to each other and yellow as the single contrasting one. Thanks again!
Mad Poster
#4 Old 12th Jan 2017 at 11:13 PM
I don't really have anything useful to say, but I do want to point out that your lot looks fantastic. I mean, damn.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Top Secret Researcher
#5 Old 13th Jan 2017 at 5:45 AM
The build is amazing!

I think the simplest design solution is walls vs. floor. If you look at your inspiration pics, if the walls go bold, the flooring is a solid color. If the rug is bold, the walls are a solid color.

Your entry way is nice. It can stay simple, or you can add a focal point with furnishings, i.e. sculpture or a center table with something pretty on it. You could also add a bolder wall treatment to replace the painted wall.

The seating area is lovely. I wouldn't change a thing.

I would consider switching the rug in the living area to a solid color. The same for the dining room.

The kitchen could have bolder wall covering, or more decor (clutter) items. It is also fine as it is.

I am looking forward to more updates!

Need help building? Mentoring4Builders: Click Here
Get in the swim- Mermaidia
New at Simszoo
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#6 Old 13th Jan 2017 at 6:08 AM
It looks like you are going either for eclectic or bohemian but my vote is going towards eclectic.
http://www.elledecor.com/design-dec...eclectic-style/

For eclectic you want to have a certain number of patterns in a room and don't go over. probably no more than 3 patterns which compliment each other to some degree. The jagged lines on the pillows, wall picture and rug actually do compliment each other because while they are different they have that in common. You also want the same colour background running through most rooms to tie things together.

A colour pallet site that I love is Design Seeds https://www.design-seeds.com/

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Instructor
#7 Old 13th Jan 2017 at 4:52 PM
Hello
Your house looks very cool
I think all of the rooms you decorated are pretty but they dont go all that well together Since it is an "open-space" house they should probably match at least a little bit. I absolutely love the living and dinning room even though you called these rooms "unicorn's vomit"...and I also think that these rooms are closest to your inspirational pictures so my advice would be to bring that style to the other rooms too. The other rooms are very pretty too but it is that kind of pretty which I already seen many times from many authors but the second style is really something special

I would recommend using a "blank" wallpaper for both levels of the entry way because the wallpapers with lines which you are already using can be a bit troublesome in these two-story rooms
I made an example in game to show what I mean cause I am not very good at explaining things with words:

I think it would be nice to use a wallpaper in the same colour but without the white lines here to give it a little bit "cleaner look". I would also consider changing the material of the "cupboard wall" in the living room to maybe solid white because the wooden pattern is maybe a bit too much?
Screenshots

Visit my Tumblr for more creations http://crowkeeperthesimmer.tumblr.com :)
Scholar
#8 Old 13th Jan 2017 at 6:14 PM
If you look at your inspirational pictures, it's not only about mixing colors and patterns, what makes it work are - as Volvenom already said - complementary colors but also repetitions.
In the first pic the green from the wall also shows up in many of the pictures in that room. Also the shapes in the pictures kind of morph into each other. The second pic has just two patterns that get repeated (the green one at the bed and for the drapes and the stripes at the bed and at the ceiling. Everything else is solid and (for the furniture) neutral. In the fourth pic are again lots of repeating colors, the yellow from the flower chair is in the stripes and the painting over the bed, the yellow flowers are also kind of in the paintings in the back. You can also find the red-orange from the bed in many other pieces in the room.
While it all looks quite mixed, if you split it down, you get not too many elements.

The horizon of many people is a circle with a radius of zero. They call this their point of view. - Albert Einstein
Arathea's Area @ TFM's Sims Asylum - TS2 & TS3 Stuff
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#9 Old 13th Jan 2017 at 7:46 PM
Quote: Originally posted by GrijzePilion
I don't really have anything useful to say, but I do want to point out that your lot looks fantastic. I mean, damn.

Thank you so much!
Quote: Originally posted by attuned
The build is amazing!

I think the simplest design solution is walls vs. floor. If you look at your inspiration pics, if the walls go bold, the flooring is a solid color. If the rug is bold, the walls are a solid color.

Your entry way is nice. It can stay simple, or you can add a focal point with furnishings, i.e. sculpture or a center table with something pretty on it. You could also add a bolder wall treatment to replace the painted wall.

The seating area is lovely. I wouldn't change a thing.

I would consider switching the rug in the living area to a solid color. The same for the dining room.

The kitchen could have bolder wall covering, or more decor (clutter) items. It is also fine as it is.

I am looking forward to more updates!

Thank you! Your advice was very helpful, and I'll definitely use some solid rugs as well as adding a bit of clutter to the kitchen to add that realism and make it less plain. I shall update once it progresses along a bit more.

Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
It looks like you are going either for eclectic or bohemian but my vote is going towards eclectic.
http://www.elledecor.com/design-dec...eclectic-style/

For eclectic you want to have a certain number of patterns in a room and don't go over. probably no more than 3 patterns which compliment each other to some degree. The jagged lines on the pillows, wall picture and rug actually do compliment each other because while they are different they have that in common. You also want the same colour background running through most rooms to tie things together.

A colour pallet site that I love is Design Seeds https://www.design-seeds.com/

Good advice I'll narrow down the colors and make the walls not vary so much I tend to focus on one section of a room without thinking of what it'll all turn out to be together, hence why the diningroom is aqua, the kitchen is a more faded aqua, and the little table area is yellowish beige

Quote: Originally posted by Crowkeeper
Hello
Your house looks very cool
I think all of the rooms you decorated are pretty but they dont go all that well together Since it is an "open-space" house they should probably match at least a little bit. I absolutely love the living and dinning room even though you called these rooms "unicorn's vomit"...and I also think that these rooms are closest to your inspirational pictures so my advice would be to bring that style to the other rooms too. The other rooms are very pretty too but it is that kind of pretty which I already seen many times from many authors but the second style is really something special

I would recommend using a "blank" wallpaper for both levels of the entry way because the wallpapers with lines which you are already using can be a bit troublesome in these two-story rooms
-
I think it would be nice to use a wallpaper in the same colour but without the white lines here to give it a little bit "cleaner look". I would also consider changing the material of the "cupboard wall" in the living room to maybe solid white because the wooden pattern is maybe a bit too much?

Very helpful and thank you as well! Thank you so much for the idea of the blank wallpaper, I understand what you mean and it looks much better than the one with the trim And as for the cupboards in the living room, I'll try it out!

Quote: Originally posted by arathea
If you look at your inspirational pictures, it's not only about mixing colors and patterns, what makes it work are - as Volvenom already said - complementary colors but also repetitions.
In the first pic the green from the wall also shows up in many of the pictures in that room. Also the shapes in the pictures kind of morph into each other. The second pic has just two patterns that get repeated (the green one at the bed and for the drapes and the stripes at the bed and at the ceiling. Everything else is solid and (for the furniture) neutral. In the fourth pic are again lots of repeating colors, the yellow from the flower chair is in the stripes and the painting over the bed, the yellow flowers are also kind of in the paintings in the back. You can also find the red-orange from the bed in many other pieces in the room.
While it all looks quite mixed, if you split it down, you get not too many elements.

I see. I'll definitely narrow down my patterns and colors to a few less than the entire color spectrum as I have it now to make it blend better

Thank you all for your help! You guys are all so nice!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#10 Old 13th Jan 2017 at 10:10 PM
I have changed things! I took out the orange and used a mix of yellows and blues instead so it's a little calmer, made the colors more constant and less all over the place, and took a little of everyone's advice. Tell me what you think!

Thanks for everyone's help! If anyone has other suggestions I'll gladly take them!
Scholar
#11 Old 14th Jan 2017 at 12:53 AM
The changes look very nice! Good job! I'm missing the orange a little bit, though. How about making the rug in the entryway orange to pick up the orange in the painting? And/or a little bit of orange in the fabric pattern on the couch cushions? And/or the slatted door in the kitchen orange for a pop of color? Maybe too much, but it might be interesting to try it in small amounts.

The outside of the house is looking good. Just be sure to pull the roof down to under the bottom of the window at the front. (Something I'm a bit OCD about.)
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#12 Old 14th Jan 2017 at 4:28 AM
I agree with SimmyRN, some orange would help it to pop.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#13 Old 14th Jan 2017 at 4:29 AM
Quote: Originally posted by SimmyRN
The changes look very nice! Good job! I'm missing the orange a little bit, though. How about making the rug in the entryway orange to pick up the orange in the painting? And/or a little bit of orange in the fabric pattern on the couch cushions? And/or the slatted door in the kitchen orange for a pop of color? Maybe too much, but it might be interesting to try it in small amounts.

The outside of the house is looking good. Just be sure to pull the roof down to under the bottom of the window at the front. (Something I'm a bit OCD about.)

How's this?

A bit of orange in the rug

I changed the pouffe seat and the desk chair to orange to give it a little tinge but not overdone like before.

Also, update. I just completed a bedroom and a bathroom. Here are the pictures. I think I did fairly well, but I'll always take suggestions to improve.

And this is the garage which I'm going to use as a makeshift lounge area for teen hangout and/or makeshift mancave

dodgy builder
#14 Old 15th Jan 2017 at 9:31 PM
It's looking very nice. I just have a few issues.

1. The brown staircase rubs me the wrong way, it might just be very subjective though. It's looking like it belongs somewhere else at the moment. Somewhere much more gloomy and goth. I would have gone much lighter, more like the ceiling and walls wood, but slightly different. What about nicely painted white wooden floors?

2. Picture no 2 has an issue with the backwall cabinets in my opinion. They are borderline trying to hard to mingle with the wooden walls and not succeeding. That's often what interiors looks like if people do that, try to make 2 very different things look like they have a relationsship going on. Often it works much better if you give them separate identities instead.

3. Picture no 3 i said I didn't like that pattern the way it's been used. It could work if you went for a very subtle yellow with the grey, perhaps even just grey. It's a bit cluttered that way in my opinion.

4. The mancave just looks unloved at the moment, poor husband needs some love as well?
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#15 Old 15th Jan 2017 at 10:47 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Volvenom
It's looking very nice. I just have a few issues.

1. The brown staircase rubs me the wrong way, it might just be very subjective though. It's looking like it belongs somewhere else at the moment. Somewhere much more gloomy and goth. I would have gone much lighter, more like the ceiling and walls wood, but slightly different. What about nicely painted white wooden floors?

2. Picture no 2 has an issue with the backwall cabinets in my opinion. They are borderline trying to hard to mingle with the wooden walls and not succeeding. That's often what interiors looks like if people do that, try to make 2 very different things look like they have a relationsship going on. Often it works much better if you give them separate identities instead.

3. Picture no 3 i said I didn't like that pattern the way it's been used. It could work if you went for a very subtle yellow with the grey, perhaps even just grey. It's a bit cluttered that way in my opinion.

4. The mancave just looks unloved at the moment, poor husband needs some love as well?

I'll try changing the stairs and floor once I reopen the game and see how it looks! Thank you for the suggestion.

I get what you mean for the cabinets too! I'm just unsure how I would go about changing that so it fits better. Any ideas?

I'll see how that looks as well and compare.

Yes, I know completely. I haven't even started any deco for that room. I just put in the basic furniture and a gaming system. I plan on putting things on the shelves and adding some miscellaneous decor here and there.
Scholar
#16 Old 15th Jan 2017 at 10:50 PM
Love the orange! Great job! I like the bedroom - nice balance of colors. You could try the wall with the dresser in blue for more color and see how it looks. For the bathroom, maybe a little black - towel and/or vase and/or cabinetry and/or black & white fabric on the footstool/seat - to play off the gray in the wallpaper. For the man cave, maybe consider white cabinets/shelves, another color or wood for the end/coffee table, and another color/pattern for the couch. Men seem to tend to like darker colors, but I think there's too much brown in the room currently. Looking forward to updates!
Top Secret Researcher
#17 Old 16th Jan 2017 at 7:27 AM
Love the updates. For the cabinets in the living room, perhaps either change the color so they blend more with the walls, or go bold with a color that really sets them apart.

New at Simszoo
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#18 Old 23rd Jan 2017 at 11:33 PM
Alright, huge update. I finished all of the rooms except for one bathroom and one closet so here are all the pictures, but first I'll show the changes to the already decorated rooms.

So as for the staircase and floors, I made them lighter. I tried a white but...

I feel like it doesn't look right...
I also tried just changing the staircase to a lighter color...

That didn't look right either.
So I changed things around

And I decided upon this color instead. (Even though the lighting on the curved bit of the staircase was a little messed up, but dont mind that ) It's a bit lighter, yet still fitting
And I changed the cabinets in the livingroom to black, since I wasn't sure what else to do. I think it's definitely an improvement, but I'll still take suggestions. (Also, don't mind the different direction wood on the ceiling. I noticed that problem after I took the picture and I fixed it.)

I changed the back wall in the bedroom to blue as suggested, since it was sort of plain before.

Also, I tried grey for the bed covers instead of navy, and it looks nice and all but I sort of like the blue better so I think I'm going to keep it.

Oh! And I added some black accents to the bathroom

I made a few changed and additions to the makeshift mancave/teen hangout in the garage...

I didn't really feel like light colors fit so I tried this green. It's not the most stylish but it's not meant to be, so yeah...

Now for the additions!

A bedroom.

The upstairs hallway. (It's a bit bland but I got lazy )

Colorful bedroom

And last but not least,

Master bedroom! I think I'm going to keep this one's color scheme no matter the suggestions because the blue and gold and silverish is unique and I like it.

But I wasn't really sure what to do with this side of the master bedroom because of the doors that make it so I can't place anything like a desk or couch. Any suggestions?

But anyway, these are the changes I've made and I'll still take any other suggestions into consideration (there's always room to improve! ) Thank you everyone for all the help!
dodgy builder
#19 Old 24th Jan 2017 at 2:14 AM
I think what you've done so far is very nice. About the uncluttered corner, I don't know, I kind of like it. I'm a minimalist though, so my view probably doesn't count
Top Secret Researcher
#20 Old 24th Jan 2017 at 2:38 AM
I think I love everything!

My bedroom is like that IRL. It is hard to say what would look good without seeing the whole bedroom in one picture, but maybe a chair and lamp by the window?

New at Simszoo
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#21 Old 24th Jan 2017 at 11:40 PM Last edited by themysteriouscorn : 3rd Feb 2017 at 4:17 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by Volvenom
I think what you've done so far is very nice. About the uncluttered corner, I don't know, I kind of like it. I'm a minimalist though, so my view probably doesn't count

I think I'll take that advice and keep it how it is

Quote: Originally posted by attuned
I think I love everything!

My bedroom is like that IRL. It is hard to say what would look good without seeing the whole bedroom in one picture, but maybe a chair and lamp by the window?

I'll take some overhead pictures asap to show the layout and the whole rooms at once
Top Secret Researcher
#22 Old 25th Jan 2017 at 5:51 PM
I like the look of the rooms in your latest version. The staircase that is sort of brown like the floor is the best I think. Black accents are good I think.

for info on changing the Mac Open File Limit check out my post here http://www.insimenator.org/index.ph...html#msg1628939
Curiosity killed the cat,
but satisfaction brought it back.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#23 Old 3rd Feb 2017 at 3:53 AM
So, sorry for the delayed update. I've been busy

Anyhow, here are the layout pictures. (There may or may not be sims included since they have now moved in)

And I've been working on the exterior and I'm looking for second opinions. Does the pattern of flower bushes make it seem weird?(as in, white orange white orange white orange with a few daisies here and there) Are the colors good? I'm not completely sure... I can't tell with landscaping.
Front yard,

And backyard.

(There also may be some random gnomes in the pictures because my sims have been living on the lot for about 1 sim week and my gardener has been growing plasma fruit, attracting vampire gnomes and bucktooth butternut gnomes so they're scattered around and I didn't really consider moving them before taking the pictures)

Let me know what changes I should make!
Top Secret Researcher
#24 Old 3rd Feb 2017 at 4:40 AM
This house is so lovely! Going back to your last post and the master bedroom question- it is a large space to be empty. I would try two chairs, angled towards each other, in front of the gold wall hanging.

The exterior looks good. I like the green clapboard and the stone. I am not sure about the garage. The texture seems not to work, but perhaps it looks fine in game.

I think the colors for your landscaping are great. I especially like the front left grouping of flowers around the tree. I would try some different combinations for the border plants that you are using in an alternating pattern. If you want to use them like that, along the driveway, that's fine. Maybe the front of the house can have alternating groups, like three white, then three orange, or vary the heights of flowers, tall, short, tall. I think you are well on your way. It just needs a bit of tweaking.

I love the edging that you are using along the front of the garden and the driveway. Where is it from?

New at Simszoo
Scholar
#25 Old 3rd Feb 2017 at 5:41 AM
I like the exterior, too! And, the interior is nice and colorful. Good work! Layout looks spacious and easy for sims to navigate. For picture taking you can click on a light and choose "turn on all lights" (or something like that) to have all the rooms nicely lit up. Just a couple of suggestions for the outside ... if possible, please pull the roof height down to below the window sill on the porch roof. Also, I wonder if the brown from the garage would look good repeated somewhere like the porch floor / steps by recoloring the current gray (?). It looks nice as is, though. I especially like the stone repeat. The flower beds are lovely! attuned made some excellent suggestions for them. Be sure that the garbage can is accessible.

Page 1 of 2