Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
#101 Old 25th Mar 2009 at 1:35 PM
Dissection? Im not gonna do it! I asked my mom if she can right me a note when we start doing dissection. Im a vegetarian anyway, so i dont want to dissect an animal!
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#102 Old 25th Mar 2009 at 8:49 PM
Dissections are foul, but I've learned that it's best to defer all the work to your partner if you're morally opposed. You'll miss a huge lab and the alternative assignment probably won't be fun, not to mention that there's a lot of valuable information to be had from a dissection. I dissected a rat in my biology class (had to skin it, too) and a cat in my anatomy class, neither of which was fun in the least, but it was a good learning experience. I think the worst things I've ever dissected were the frog and the starfish- the frog had caviar in it and the starfish smelled like brine.

Do I dare disturb the universe?
| tumblr | My TS3 Photos |
Mad Poster
#103 Old 25th Mar 2009 at 10:08 PM
I've always sat out when we were doing dissections in class. Luckily enough they were never a major part of any assignments, but they were just to see how things work. I can't stand doing anything like that, so I'm glad my teachers allowed me to do other work rather than carry on with the dissection.
Mad Poster
#104 Old 26th Mar 2009 at 12:01 AM
ew, I'm glad I don't have Anatomy. I'd plead for my teacher to give me paper work rather than dissect animals. :hdown:

"Going to the chapel of Love"

the girls club . statistics . yearbook .
Mad Poster
#105 Old 26th Mar 2009 at 12:06 AM
I had anatomy and bio last year. I don't enjoy dissections in the least, but it's not something that I'm particularly morally opposed to (animals are wonderful creatures, but human life and scientific advancement necessitate their sacrifice). There was never an option to decline to dissect in either of my classes, though- taking bio as an honors course and taking elective anatomy meant that I had to be prepared for that course of action because dissections are vital labs of both courses.

New vent: Grr, I'm trying to study for AP World and I'm ready to blow. I hate WWI and WWII! I love history, but it gets boring when the whole world becomes civilized (after about 1800). I find WWI and WWII incredibly confusing- everybody's fighting, and I'll leave it at that .

Top Secret Researcher
#106 Old 26th Mar 2009 at 12:52 AM
I'm not morally opposed to animal research that contributes to scientific advancement, but dissections in required high school courses are pointless and wasteful - when maybe two students in a class of twenty-five will go into medical or scientific fields, the vast majority of frogs and cats sacrificed to freshman biology classes die only to be squealed at and handed off to lab partners. Save dissections for elective courses (like your anatomy class, Rabid) where higher percentages of interested students are at least more likely.

Speaking of which, sort of - I have a biology test tomorrow that spans four long, complicated chapters (the teacher is trying to finish a lot of material before spring break, I guess), and I'm going to have to do serious cramming tonight in order to do well at all. Especially since I missed the lessons on two of the chapters on the two days of school I had to miss last week.

Mad Poster
#107 Old 26th Mar 2009 at 1:40 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Rabid
I had anatomy and bio last year. I don't enjoy dissections in the least, but it's not something that I'm particularly morally opposed to (animals are wonderful creatures, but human life and scientific advancement necessitate their sacrifice). There was never an option to decline to dissect in either of my classes, though- taking bio as an honors course and taking elective anatomy meant that I had to be prepared for that course of action because dissections are vital labs of both courses.

No I wasn't saying I was against it, I would just find it gross.

"Going to the chapel of Love"

the girls club . statistics . yearbook .
Mad Poster
#108 Old 30th Mar 2009 at 7:42 AM
Well, I am against it, not because it makes me vomit, but because I don't want to open up an organ of a once living thing! I find it cruel and unusual. What's wrong with finding a simulation of a dissection online? I mean, it isn't as disgusting, and it isn't an actual organ, so really, no big deals.

But no, I had to do the dissections because they're gay, and they stink up the room! (well, it did for us.) I was out of the classroom for half an hour vomiting it was that horrible. I am going to do what I do best. Complain.

This allows me to see into the minds of people! That's right, I can actually see what they're thinking!
So long as what they're thinking is exactly what I think they're thinking.
#109 Old 1st Apr 2009 at 12:48 AM
we had to do notecards for history, and i was sick for 2 days and the teacher was mad at me for not bringing them in! so, that night i get them ready, mind all the other hw i have. i give them to her the next day and she tells me to redo them. but i already returned the books back to the library!
Mad Poster
#110 Old 2nd Apr 2009 at 3:31 AM
My English teacher drives me insane! This being an honors course, I expect a higher level of criticism upon our written work in order to prepare us for AP Lit come next year. Au contraire- she rarely if ever grades our papers, and when she does, it's so close to the end of the term that no negotiation can be made upon grades. Even if she did grade them in a timely fashion, the essays are never returned, and so I have no idea what she's taking points for. All of my high school career and before, I've been used to the perks of being an exceptional writer- little to no criticism on returned papers, 100% essays or above, etc. This teacher is one who is incapable of awarding an A+ no matter how good the paper- she somehow finds a flaw or insufficiency in everything, and I want her to return my papers so I know what deluded little thing she thinks I'm doing wrong. Why she continues to give me 99%'s and 98%'s, I don't know. I'm not shy about negotiating grades, and if only I had my papers back, I wouldn't hesitate to confront her. It's not just about the point value, either- if I'm truly making a mistake, I want to know so that I can learn from it.

Mad Poster
#111 Old 3rd Apr 2009 at 8:25 AM
This guy has been moved to my class. He is a pervert, and he has sexually abused me on three separate occasions. I have had to tell my PC teacher and all the other teachers where he is in the same class I am. God, it was embarrassing.

This allows me to see into the minds of people! That's right, I can actually see what they're thinking!
#112 Old 3rd Apr 2009 at 9:18 PM
Tree4me- really? you should get a restraining order.
Mad Poster
#113 Old 3rd Apr 2009 at 11:19 PM
I really should, shouldn't I? If it gets any worse, then I probably will.

Mad Poster
#114 Old 7th Apr 2009 at 11:59 PM
Does anyone else ever feel like they're ready to graduate right now? Scholarship season has rolled around and I've been looking into a few for when my time comes- a few that I know I'm more than qualified for. I feel like I don't learn anything important anymore, and I'm so ready to have that period of being on high that seniors describe their final semester as. I've been told by guidance counselors all throughout high school that I am "prime scholarship material," and I'm so ready for that time to come. I've always been ahead of the learning curve because I read independently and learn a lot through that, but that feeling of wanting to move on is somehow more pronounced, lately. I love my school, I love seeing my friends there every day, but I feel like I have nothing left to learn.

Mad Poster
#115 Old 8th Apr 2009 at 7:08 AM
I just feel that I'm ready to leave high school and go straight onto college here. High school (especially English, Japanese and SOSE) is so boring at the moment, seeing as I've learnt Japanese since I was 8, I read a lot so I've read all the books we read in English, and I read a lot about current world issues so I know what's going on around me. These classes are so boring at the moment, and I'm just terrible at Maths and Science, so I don't really want to do those subjects anymore, even though I will end up doing Maths in college.
Mad Poster
#116 Old 17th Apr 2009 at 10:41 PM
AP Exams are in less than a month *prepares to blow brains out*...

Mad Poster
#117 Old 19th Apr 2009 at 11:06 AM
Back to school tomorrow, and I have tons of school tests to do. . . To top it off, I have an English assignment where we have to write a novel type story. (Yes, at 14, I have to write a novel for English, is it supposed to be like this in Grade 8?)

#118 Old 19th Apr 2009 at 11:15 AM
I'm 13 and in year 9 in England and I had to do that last year 8)
so dw.
Forum Resident
#119 Old 19th Apr 2009 at 4:31 PM
Woot. Back at college in the morning. And with A-level exams coming up, not a single teacher is gunna shut up about them. Yes, I know we have to revise, and I am doing, a lot more than I did for GCSE, so just shut up about it, and teach the flamin' lesson! Thank you. =]
Mad Poster
#120 Old 20th Apr 2009 at 8:11 AM
@madisonx: 13 and in year 9? Have you skipped a few grades??

Mad Poster
#121 Old 22nd Apr 2009 at 12:05 AM
We're making a glass mosaic right now in my art class (meaning that we have to cut the glass)- and the teacher provides no gloves! I think it's an asinine project for high school students to begin with because cutting glass is very dangerous, but without gloves?! Tiny shards of glass get stuck on my hands all the time, and at least one person gets cut every single day. I got cut for the first time today- it's a two-inch gash on my index finger, and because it's on my writing hand, I've had a hard time writing all day. I hate it- my time in that class is spent in an extreme state of caution, and the absurdly unrealistic due dates he has provided will make us rush and therefore get cut even more. I think I'll bring my own gloves.

My dad actually wants to talk to the teacher about this *facepalm*. Being an industrial chemist who has managed factories for thirty years, he says that he wouldn't allow even the most experienced factory worker to cut glass without gloves, let alone a high school student. I really want someone's dad to stick it to the teacher- I just don't want it to be MY dad .

Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#122 Old 25th Apr 2009 at 2:50 AM
Rabid, I do see your issue with cutting into glass without protection, but art isn't ment to be 'safe' nor perfect. Maybe your teacher thinks that the students would use as much common sence and safety as possible while using a 'Hit and Miss' strategy.
You don't catch the thrill of messing with the boundries of danger?

We had class elections today and on the ballot for the class of '11 (my class) there was one missing person now we have to revote on Monday. I don't believe anyone knows the outcome yet either.

So long, my luckless romance
My back is turned on you
I should've known you'd bring me heartache
Almost lovers always do

Mad Poster
#123 Old 25th Apr 2009 at 3:02 AM
Liz, I was 13 for the majority of my Year 9. Then again, I'm one of the youngest people in the grade. Most of the current Year 9s are older than me, and I'm in Year 10 now.

My vent:
My Maths teacher gave the class a massive assignment for the holidays and first couple of weeks of the new term (I go back to school on Tuesday after a 2 week holiday), and then she procedes to leave and go overseas for the next term. It's a really annoying assignment, and a lot of it is to do with quadratic equations which I am absolutely awful at. I don't want to do badly on this assignment, but now that my teacher is gone and I don't know what I'm doing, I think I'll do badly on it. Plus, the whole assignment during the holidays is really annoying.
Mad Poster
#124 Old 25th Apr 2009 at 3:04 AM
Oh wait! We have an extra grade down here. We have Kinder, Prep, then Grade 1.

Field Researcher
#125 Old 25th Apr 2009 at 3:34 AM
My vent: I love chemistry, especially physical chemistry. The problem? I'm terrified of chemicals! Everytime we do a lab, I get through it okay, but at the end of the day I'll be freaking out, convinced that I somehow spilled/injested something toxic or flammable or corrosive and that I'm on the brink of death. It's ridiculous, I know, and it's practically taking over my life. I want to be a surgeon when I grow up, but I'm beginning to wonder if I'll be able to handle taking chemistry throughout the rest of high school and university. Ugh, I really need to get over this.

"I have hated the words and I have loved them, and I hope I have made them right."
-Markus Zusak, The Book Thief

Yearbook

Page 5 of 6