Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 25th Nov 2015 at 3:53 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations, Pets, Supernatural, Seasons, University Life, Island Paradise
Default Windows 10
I have downloaded the mods folder thingie for custom content. But when I download the custom content it automatically goes into a download folder. it does not give me the option to place it anywhere else. Am I doing something wrong, am I supposed to take the items in this folder and cut them and place them in my new packages folder? The items that I downloaded from the sims resource are in there as well. They were downloaded into my game automatically. Can I leave those in there? They have the Sims icon beside them. Thanks so much for your help.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 25th Nov 2015 at 4:16 AM
Well, I've always just cut and pasted my mods from my downloads folder into my mods folder. I think I could choose where downloaded files went back when I used Internet Explorer, but I don't do that anymore. Also, there are two forms of CC for The Sims 3: .package files, which go in the "Mods" folder, and .sims3pack files, which go into the "Downloads" folder in your Sims 3 directory and have to be installed through the launcher. If your .sims3packs are downloading into your game automatically, you technically could leave them in your internet downloads folder, but it might become cluttered in there, so I'd move them.

-sbugg
(If you're curious on how to pronounce my screen name, I pronounce it "ess-bug".)
Obsessed with the lives of virtual people who run to scream at fires since 2012.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 25th Nov 2015 at 4:43 AM
Quote: Originally posted by sbugg
Well, I've always just cut and pasted my mods from my downloads folder into my mods folder. I think I could choose where downloaded files went back when I used Internet Explorer, but I don't do that anymore. Also, there are two forms of CC for The Sims 3: .package files, which go in the "Mods" folder, and .sims3pack files, which go into the "Downloads" folder in your Sims 3 directory and have to be installed through the launcher. If your .sims3packs are downloading into your game automatically, you technically could leave them in your internet downloads folder, but it might become cluttered in there, so I'd move them.

Thank so much for the reply. The downloads folder is not the folder that's under the EA games/Sims 3. Its (This PC-Downloads) It has been years since I've played so treat me like a child. I have no idea what files I download when it says NAME.rar. How would I be able to tell? The mods that I already have downloaded, that have the Sims 3 logo, are already in the game. What do I do when I ddownload something and it shows up in there, as usual? Do I open it there if its a zip/rar? Then cut and paste in packages?
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 25th Nov 2015 at 5:51 AM
Well, what you're gonna wanna do is right-click & cut your .Sims3Pack files( always has a sims 3 logo next to it) & paste them into your Document/Electronic Arts/Sims 3/Downloads folder & install them via launcher. Anything .Sims3Pack you put in your downloads folder automatically shows up in the downloads section of your launcher. Now for your mods folder, that's where your package files go (always has a white paper that's slightly folded at the top right). When downloading cc from sites such as Tumblr, when you extract them (With Win-Rar or 7-Zip) make sure you're only either putting a .Sim3Pack or Package file in your Sims 3 folder.Just highlight the files you're extracting in your PC/Downloads folder and extract them, from there depending on the type of file, you can put them in their correct folder(Packages=Mods Folder & .Sims3Packs=Downloads Folder). Just choose one type of file (don't wanna clog your game with duplicates). If you're given both types of files for the same cc(Creators sometimes give you both so you can choose). Personally, I'd go with package files because you can merge them (I don't recommend merging script,core or posing mods) with S3PE , which loads cc in your game faster (because your game can now read them as a group and not one by one),boosts loading speeds, & significantly cuts down lag. Sorry if this is too long. I'd also recommend making sub folders(Eg. clothing,shoes,makeup,skins,cars etc etc.) in your Mods/Packages folders so you can keep your cc organized in case you install bad cc. Alsooooo a lot of sims on the thesims3.com exchange include bad cc so be wary. Welcome back to the land of Simming & enjoy your stay
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#5 Old 25th Nov 2015 at 8:52 PM
Moving to Help. Please post Help questions here and not in Discussion.

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.
Test Subject
#6 Old 4th Feb 2017 at 6:01 PM
hello my packeges don't work as in windows7 and it's blank in the .Sim3Pack what should i do ?