Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 30th Jul 2014 at 1:17 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2
Default DirectX9 won't work no matter what I do!
Hi, so I recently reinstalled my computer (factory reset) and then decided to reinstall my sims game. I installed DirectX and sims and tryed to load it and said this (look at picture) so, I updated my drivers, updated my computer and tried again. Didn't work. Said the exact same thing so then asked my friends for help and my friend sent me the right Setup and all the extensions and it STILL didn't work and frankly, I just don't know what to do anymore so pretty please, could anyone help me? By the way, I have a asus!
Screenshots
Advertisement
Constant Contestant
retired moderator
#2 Old 30th Jul 2014 at 1:41 PM
I wonder whether this new graphics tool could help you? http://www.modthesims.info/showthre...304#post4465304

Want a specific style of house or community building? Why not take a look at my profile and see what I build and then come ask me to make it!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 31st Jul 2014 at 6:44 AM
THANK YOU! I'm gonna see if that works! Hopefully it does!! *fingers crossed*
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 4th Aug 2014 at 9:54 AM
It didn't work (
Forum Resident
#5 Old 4th Aug 2014 at 2:33 PM
A friend of mine has this exact same problem. Hopefully someone can help with a solution.
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#6 Old 4th Aug 2014 at 3:12 PM
What graphics card do you have? When did you last update your graphics drivers? When did you last update DirectX9?

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Mad Poster
#7 Old 6th Aug 2014 at 3:56 AM Last edited by gazania : 6th Aug 2014 at 4:20 AM.
I'm having the same problem as well, and it's frustrating. This is a brand-new card, a GTX 650 Ti. I tried to use the utility, but it didn't work. Fortunately, I have a copy of the old files, but I cannot find the hex number. Apparently, someone at Simbology helped before, but now the topic is "off-limits."

I have Direct X11.

The card is listed as compatible for Sims 3, so it should be good for Sims 2. Back when I did this for my machine last year with my Ati card, I did not encounter this problem. I was able to get into the game ... the graphics just needed to be fixed. Now, I can't get into the game at all. I admit ... this is frustrating as hell.

Thanks to ALL free-site creators, admins and mods.

RIP Sunni ... truly a ray of light.
Scholar
#8 Old 6th Aug 2014 at 4:25 AM
You guys may have to install DirectX 9.0c manually. Newer DirectX drivers (e.g. 10, 11, etc.) are not backwards compatible for 9.0c.

Therefore, I recommend going to Microsoft's website to download it and install it:
http://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/down...s.aspx?id=34429

I had an issue one time when doing such installations of my The Sims 2 discs and it was because I thought later DirectX drivers would work. It didn't.

Check out my latest version of Superman's Classic Uniform for The Sims 2.
See what images I have posted on DeviantArt as well related to The Sims 2 and designs.
Also check out My Website to see my superhero uniform creations for The Sims 2. THANKS!!!
Mad Poster
#9 Old 6th Aug 2014 at 4:32 AM Last edited by gazania : 6th Aug 2014 at 8:42 PM.
I just tried that ... didn't work. I'm getting the same message.

To make things worse, I have utterly no idea how to fix this manually. The other card's hex number was easy to find. I can't find this one to even check and see what happened. But I suppose I can go into the files and see just what the utility did.

EDIT ... It appeared the utility did assign a hex number. I'm still not sure if it's correct, though. Is calling the card NVIDIA Ge Force rather than Ge Force making any difference? But if it did, the OP shouldn't have had a problem.

I shot a note to my techie to get his opinion. Not playing the sims is NOT an option. In the meantime, I'm Googling away. Perhaps someone does have a solution.

Aren't UC users still covered by EA support? Doubt if EA is going to be much help, though.

EDIT AGAIN ... tried another couple of things, per my techie. One was using the DirectX June 2010 redistributable. Another was playing around with compatibility. Checked my driver updates, just to be sure.

Nothing. I'm still getting the stupid message. And I have been reading how others here with the 650-series did get the card to work. Inquiring minds want to know ... how?

Body Shop works great, by the way. And this would be amusing if it wasn't so frustrating ... the game keeps generating a Sims 2 folder every time I try this. I think I'm up to my 7th by now. I keep renaming or deleting them.

To lovepinksamantha ... are you getting the same results? What is your card? Mr. Valentine_90 ... what are your friend's specs? Perhaps we can compare these specs to each other and to others who have this problem (I see at least a couple of other people outside of this thread do) and see if there's a pattern.

Mine is a PC Unit, Win 7. 64 bit. Card is a GeForce GTX 650 Ti. AMD quad-core processor. Direct X 11. If there were massive complaints about the 650 Ti, I think we'd know it by now. It's been out for a while (2012). It's green all the way on the Sims 3 list.

EDIT AGAIN: In my case, it was something wonky with the graphics.sgr file, it seems. I replaced it with a backup copy, and at least I don't get the nastygram and extra folder every time I try to fire up the game. I see ... neighborhoods! It's a start!

Mad Poster
#10 Old 6th Aug 2014 at 7:56 PM
I am agree with previous poster. I had a same message when i was following steps in this thread: http://www.leefish.nl/mybb/showthread.php?tid=5446. I downloaded file for my video card and started replace it as there was said. When I thought all was done, my game did not start. Only this message. So I checked everything over again and ... I had replaced file with zipped file. I unzipped file and replaced it. My game started working again.
Mad Poster
#11 Old 8th Aug 2014 at 4:56 AM Last edited by gazania : 8th Aug 2014 at 8:06 PM.
I just copied and pasted all the steps I went through to get rid of that nastygram.

Updating Manually

Apparently, the graphics generator may have a problem with certain cards. In my case, for some reason, the game didn't like the generated Graphics Rules sgr code.

If you're one of those lucky people, you may have to do things manually. It's not horrible.(And ... errr ... playing with game files isn't a good idea unless you're desperate! This is one of the very few exceptions.)

First of all ... as so often repeated by those here ... copy and back up those the graphics rules and video card sgr files somewhere else on your machine, just in case you screw up. That's important. I even put them on a backup disk, just in case, after I finished.

In the case of my new refurb, I changed just the Video Cards.sgr file this time because I didn't have a ATI Radeon HD 7xxxx series card in this unit. I'm still not sure how to further tweak the Nvidia card in the graphics file, and don't think I want to. I've done the checks on the first page, and am not sure I want to tweak things further. I would like to know what I should specifically look for graphics.sgr files for NVIDIA cards (see the fix for the ATI Radeon HD 7xxxx cards in the MTS post) , or if all NVIDIA cards are affected. I hesitate to use the zip on the Leefish site unless I know if it differs from the one in the generator or not, and just how it differs from both the game's default. If my game rejected the generator's file, I have doubts it will accept the file posted earlier on Leefish's site.

As for the video card, I used this last post. This also provides info on fixing the ATI Radeon HD 7xxxx file, if you have one of these cards:

http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=474394

This post helped me twice now. I actually subscribed to this thread in case I needed the instructions again. Good thing.

If you continue to have problems, you might indeed have to download DirectX 9 and/or the DirectX June 2010 redistributable files. Sometimes, the game can get wonky with versions of DirectX above 9.

For Direct X 9 ... see d_dgjdhh's post above.
For the Direct X redistributable file: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/down...ls.aspx?id=8109

If the second download asks you where to put the file, apparently, you can just make a folder in My Documents and put it there.

And if that doesn't work, you might have to change the compatibility. Right-click your Sims shortcut on the desktop, find properties, and change your options. I found the game worked OK with XP SP 3.

Oh, and if you can't find the hex number for your video card sgr file:

http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=530456

d_dgjdhh and marka93 ... thank you so much for your help. I'd like to thank my techie as well for responding to my distress call at 10 PM ... over and above the requirements of a techie.

NOTE: I should include this link as well. (It would be negligent of me not to!):

http://www.leefish.nl/mybb/showthread.php?tid=5446

Forum Resident
#12 Old 18th Aug 2014 at 12:44 PM
Can I just ask how to open the sgr files?

I also don't have a compatability tab on my Sims 2 properties, any reason for this?