Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 22nd Apr 2011 at 3:59 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Direct3D Error
Hi, I know that this is quite a common problem with Nvidia graphics cards but it's driving me crazy. I just upgraded from the GeForce 6 series to the 7 series, and now when I play the game, after a while (15-20 minutes or so) it will crash and give me this message: 'Direct3D returned an error: D3DERR_Notavailable! The application will now terminate.' Yes I know this has been posted many times before but the solution's been different for everyone so here I am.

Here are my specs:
==System==
• Operating System: Windows XP Professional
• Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 Dual Core Processor 6000+
• Memory: 894MB Ram
• Page File: 695 MB Used, 1472 MB available.
• DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c

==Display==
• Name: Nvidia GeForce 7025/ nForce 630a
• Manufacturer: Nvidia
• Chip Type: GeForce 7025 / nForce 630a
• Approx. Total Memory: 512 MB
• Main Driver: nv4_disp.dll
• Version: 6.14.0012.6658 (English)

I've already tried upgrading DirectX to the latest version and installing the latest drivers for my graphics card. I also know that one possible solution is playing with 'Smooth Edges' turned all the way up but this makes my game run incredibly slowly.

Is there any other solution I can take to play my game normally again? Thanks in advance for any help, it's much appreciated!
Advertisement
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#2 Old 22nd Apr 2011 at 11:20 PM
Feel a bit stupid for answering my own question now, but I found another website with nVidia drivers on, not the official website. Completely uninstalled my drivers using Drive Cleaner Pro in safe mode, then Installed the latest drivers which can be found here: http://downloads.guru3d.com/GeForce...-x32_d2689.html

So far so good! Played for around 3 hours and no crashing, woohoo!
Forum Resident
#3 Old 23rd Apr 2011 at 4:41 PM
I had the same problem. I had installed my base game, when I got the error with opening bodyshop.
I couldn't solve this problem because I am not so into computer specifications and other things, so I installed one of my expansion packs and now got a new bodyshop which comes with this pack and it works fine.
Just wanted to say. I am glad you solved it!

Creator and owner of SimsShine
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#4 Old 24th Apr 2011 at 11:56 AM
I'm glad you solved yours too! Was very frustrating as I usually play Sims for hours but couldn't with that darn error.