Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
#26 Old 11th Apr 2006 at 3:56 PM
it is definitely the moveobjects cheat, because i got the "need pool first" thing, and i just did moveobjects on, and it was fine! but niol is right, turn it off after because its so annoying!!!!!!! lol

You've got everybody listening, you've got everybody putting on a show. You've got everybody acting crazy, I'm not gonna say you don't..
Advertisement
Instructor
#27 Old 12th Apr 2006 at 5:29 PM
Sorry I'm so late to the party! Cyclonesue has a set of water terrain paints, and there are a bunch at Parsimonious.

Just remember, if you build and upload lots without water, the packager will grab all those water terrain paints anyway. Don't delete them with CI, or the lot will have problems. Instead, put them in a separate directory and pull it out of Downloads before you build.

And, just to second Niol, I have to surround my water with objects. See my post here, if only for a laugh!

~I no longer play Sims, so I'm not taking requests, sorry~
Test Subject
#28 Old 26th Apr 2006 at 2:52 AM
thanks ilove llamas
thanks aloth but wre you triying to tell how to et your sim 2 swim in the lake or just showing a picture because if you were showing a picture you did great but if you were trying to tell how you get youre sim tio swim in the lake i suggest you add more on to that
Mad Poster
#29 Old 26th Apr 2006 at 10:17 AM
sydtay3,

To know what this tutorial is for, download, open, and read it. 1-2-3 steps... And, you're getting there...
Field Researcher
#30 Old 27th Apr 2006 at 5:06 PM
Really good, thanks :D

Eternally a sin

Dans l'amour vrai c'est l'ame qui embrasse le corps <3

Something wicked is coming up..!
Test Subject
#31 Old 28th Apr 2006 at 5:22 PM
OMG that was so easy!! You did a very wonderful tutorial!

Like Zombies ?
Lab Assistant
#32 Old 29th Apr 2006 at 6:33 PM
COOOOOL!!! And even Delphy said thank you!!!

This message is sponsored by DIET COKE. Drink up!!!
Air Guitar: http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=97977

If you like my creation(s) please use the thanks button and if you want to post a comment!
Test Subject
#33 Old 7th May 2006 at 8:03 AM
Default Very intriguing
I've tested this extensively, and I can't verify any need for the kind of exact depth placement described in the tutorial. The sims are perfectly happy to swim in the ground at any elevation, the only requirement being that the diving board and/or pool ladder must be placed one level above the ground to swim in and must have two squares of level ground each, to be accessible.

By setting the constrainFloorElevation property to false, you can squish the level with the diving board down as close to the swimming level as the game will allow (an elevation difference of 4 clicks) to minimise the glitches in the animation. A foundation placed on level ground defaults to that height anyway.

The "diving in" splash is displayed at the level where the diving board is placed, while the "swimming" splashes are displayed at the actual position of the sim.

The sims will swim in anything they can normally walk on, which includes the ground, foundations and flooring tiles, but not, ironically, actual water. They appear able to swim through (at least some) fences, but they can't traverse an elevation change of 4 or more clicks.

The attached images show a sim swimming in second-level floor tiles, accessed from a third-level diving board; the placement of the splash, in relation to the board and the diving sim; and a sim "jumping" up through the air to use a ladder that's one default story height (16 clicks) above him.
Screenshots
Test Subject
#34 Old 8th May 2006 at 12:14 AM
Now I can go skinny dipping!
I built this lovely seriously deep lake off the edge of my sim property that lead right up under the corner of my sim home. This is awsome cuase now I can build a new home with a swimable lake and go skinny dipping

Ty.
Test Subject
#35 Old 10th May 2006 at 8:01 PM Last edited by Squeezybal : 10th May 2006 at 8:04 PM. Reason: forgot to subscribe for response, oopsies
Swimming white rings on neck when not swimming!
I have not done this download yet. Though I may have in the past...was on ts2 totorial I think, 'how to make swimable ponds'. Either lowering the terrain by 4 or raising the terrain.

I have an issue though. I have a downloaded lot, came with a pond and deck. It was not swimmable at the time. I made it swimable by lowering the terrain (tools) 4 clicks, not raisng any. However now my sims swim from the pond to the kitchen! all you see is the head. The MAIN problem is, when they pop out (to make food, read a book, ANYTHING!) they have the white swimming rings around them at all times. Its an active moving grafic that animates non stop.

For my not-so-normal sims, this would be fine, but I would like my normal sims to be rid of this white ring around the neck. Would this download change this?

confuzzeled....

thank you
Test Subject
#36 Old 12th May 2006 at 6:02 PM
Default supper
Greate Job Man
Top Secret Researcher
#37 Old 12th May 2006 at 6:10 PM
Usually it's 5 clicks needed, lower the terrain by 5 clicks forming it like a cup.Then to make sure the sims won't be able to get out and swim all over the place add with moveObjects cheat some lilypads on the edges , both decorating and ensuring that it will work.It's very tricky though and it needs lot of testing to get it right. 5 clicks and lily pads help a lot though!

You will find my older and newest creations here
Mad Poster
#38 Old 13th May 2006 at 6:13 PM
Squeezybal,

Just get your sims back into the lake/pool and have them "get out"" again until they no longer sink down to the floor again.
Test Subject
#39 Old 17th May 2006 at 9:44 PM
Default Swimming in actual water
I've combined the effect of this tutorial with the method for submerged buildings and transparent floor tiles to create the illusion of swimming in actual water terrain:

http://upload.modthesims2.com/attac...id=296167&stc=1

In the image you can see the edges of the transparent floor tiles that the sims are actually swimming in, which are submerged one click beneath the surface of the water. You can also see that by lowering the base of the jumping board to one click above the swimmable surface, the sims no longer "fall through" the board when jumping in.

I'm going to streamline the building process and then I'll post a nice tutorial - but it's probably going to be one for advanced builders nevertheless, because there are some fiddly bits which probably can't be reduced to a series of steps that always work without a bit of trial and error.
Screenshots
Test Subject
#40 Old 18th May 2006 at 12:01 PM
Forbidden to post
Ah well.

Since I am apparently forbidden to post tutorials, I guess I won't let anybody know how to do it. Pity, since I had already written up the entire thing nicely.
Mad Poster
#41 Old 18th May 2006 at 12:29 PM Last edited by niol : 26th Jul 2006 at 7:07 PM.
JustTheBast,

This method is a combination of the fake-pool-approach, water tool, and terrain paints. Terrain paints can be applied before the the water tool or terrain tools. Well, that may work nicer for the shallow areas.
The biggest problem is definitely the graphical glitch caused by the tiling edges. Some floating plants or trees can be used to do the cover-up.
According to your pic, the gltich isn't that much compared to another combination with also Sunni's swim-pool approach under TS2-UNI.

I'm in the hope that the ugly tiling edges can be graphically silenced one day, so this type glitch can be eliminated.

Yes, it must have been hard and a lot of work to do a step-by-step tutorial.:clap: do share it... please...

Lol, just create the tutorial as a new thread in the build mode forum with a clear title, and then wait for a moderator to decide if to bring it into this tutorial section.

Added:
For those who wanna try JustTheBast's method,

JustTheBast
Tutorial: Making real lakes swimmable
http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=158216
Test Subject
#42 Old 18th May 2006 at 12:40 PM
Heh! And here I was, trying to post in "the right place".

I just tried it and found that I can indeed start a new thread in the Build Mode forum. I thought I was completely forbidden to start new threads for some reason. D'oh!
Lab Assistant
#43 Old 21st May 2006 at 4:18 AM
Tkdjunkie and all,

This is a wonder of creativity. While I am having some of the "fall through the dock" and "swim rings around the neck in plain clothes" glitches, this has been a real experience to try and enjoy.

I really love the idea of the Sims being able to swim in the lake also as well as a sterile ole swimming pool.

One thing that is strange, I am getting multiple (2-5) duplicate messages that my Sim has earned a "Fitness point". This glitch may be because I recently downloaded a "talk in the pool" hack or some other hack conflict.

All in all, I am loving this. Thanks for all the hard work and time. Creating fun for others is a very selfless act. A cyber pat on the back to you all!

Klaatu barada nikto!!!!

Some try to tell me
Thoughts they cannot defend,
Just what you want to be
You will be in the end
Test Subject
#44 Old 31st May 2006 at 4:01 PM
But where can I download that water?
Mad Poster
#45 Old 31st May 2006 at 7:24 PM
Ashley M,

May rad the third paragraph of the first (beginning/major) post.
Field Researcher
#46 Old 22nd Jun 2006 at 5:04 AM
I've always want to know how on earth to do this. This is a nice, simple & easy tutorial. It looks great too in the game. Thank you very much for providing this
Lab Assistant
#47 Old 3rd Jul 2006 at 11:17 AM
I have this don byfore but I dídn't no enymore how!

thanks al lot!
Test Subject
#48 Old 20th Jul 2006 at 11:45 AM
Default I don´t understand!
Look, I´ve read your tutorial about ¨How to make a swimmable lake¨ but the problem is that I don´t get step 6 I don´t know what to do! I´m very worried cause I´ve always wanted to make a swimmable something!!! My friend know how to make swimmable beaches but she isn´t able to tell how, so please help me.
Please reply,
Chucheomega
Test Subject
#49 Old 20th Jul 2006 at 11:49 AM
Default I´ve got a question
Do you know how to make swimmable lakes?? Please tell me
Please reply,
Chucheomega
Test Subject
#50 Old 28th Jul 2006 at 9:11 PM
How do u get the water to be so blue!?
Page 2 of 3