Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 15th Jun 2009 at 10:32 AM
Default The TSR tool for patterns
I will stick my neck out and say I'm totally a noob when it comes to making cc, apart from the odd recolour for sims 2.

TSR just released their tool, this has been worked on by a few modders in the community. At the moment it can only do patterns. I have some lovely images I want to change to patterns for my game but not enough time to sit and do them the long way.

Does anyone know how to work the thing? I have it but never having done any of this before I have no clue how to use it. Anyone who knows, could you please post simple instructions for an old lady.

I can use illustrator, gimp, photshop,etc.
Advertisement
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#2 Old 15th Jun 2009 at 1:45 PM
You need to go to the site that supplies the tool for help and support. Ask them how to use it.

You have obviously missed all the posts in this section (patterns) of all the tutorials on how to make patterns, and each one either points to HP's tutorial to show you how to import using Delphy's Pattern Packager or they do it themselves. And HP's is stickied at the top of this forum!

I think you've misread what TSR has to say about that. Modders in the community have not worked on their tool, modders in the community have been working on their own and sharing what they have learned. It's all open-source. All those names listed were past modders of TS2. Don't drink the kool-aid!
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#3 Old 15th Jun 2009 at 2:11 PM
Well, technically, TSR did the programming and development of their tool, and got help from other people - I know Delphy gave them some helpful pointers when they were having trouble with particular details.

I'm sure they must have tutorials over there if you want to use their tool - or as HugeLunatic says, you can use Delphy's with the tutorial I wrote over here, stickied at the top of this forum.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Scholar
Original Poster
#4 Old 15th Jun 2009 at 4:54 PM
Quote: Originally posted by HugeLunatic
You need to go to the site that supplies the tool for help and support. Ask them how to use it.

You have obviously missed all the posts in this section (patterns) of all the tutorials on how to make patterns, and each one either points to HP's tutorial to show you how to import using Delphy's Pattern Packager or they do it themselves. And HP's is stickied at the top of this forum!

I think you've misread what TSR has to say about that. Modders in the community have not worked on their tool, modders in the community have been working on their own and sharing what they have learned. It's all open-source. All those names listed were past modders of TS2. Don't drink the kool-aid!

Uhm, no. I know for sure Inge was helping a little on this tool and as HP says, Delphy put a little bit of info in. I know the whole thing about the list of helpers and the reality. Doesn't matter, I'm just going to try and work out Delphy's tool as it does the same job.

HP, I printed out your tutorial
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#5 Old 15th Jun 2009 at 7:22 PM
Fluttereyes, HugeLunatic explained it correctly - more or less. We're all making our own tools, and sharing whatever useful information we all have. We are sharing this with each other and with TSR's programmers. No one but TSR are actually coding their own tool.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Eminence Grise
#6 Old 16th Jun 2009 at 6:00 AM
I haven't tried using TSR's tool myself, but the two people I've talked to who have tried to use it have said they couldn't get it to run. And I haven't pursued it because Delphy's tool is great -- fast and simple

However, I am kind of curious as to whether anybody has gotten TSR's tool running. The one thing that would make a tool PERFECT would be if you could get a preview of the way the pattern would look in-game, layered correctly with the colors you specify. Wonder if it by any chance has that feature Sounds like it would be hard to implement though so I'm guessing it doesn't.

Sims 3 loads so fast (compared to Sims 2) that checking your pattern in-game is not really that big a deal, anyway.
Scholar
Original Poster
#7 Old 16th Jun 2009 at 10:56 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Inge Jones
Fluttereyes, HugeLunatic explained it correctly - more or less. We're all making our own tools, and sharing whatever useful information we all have. We are sharing this with each other and with TSR's programmers. No one but TSR are actually coding their own tool.

Ah so I misunderstood you before. Sorry about that. I did say a little help. Ok so it's true then. Thanks Inge. I think I'll just wait for another tool to come out.

Shrikandi

I was only interested in it in the long term really, it is supposed to be able to do so much more in the future, if they're hype is anything to go by. I just wanted to learn it from the start rather than a bigger program later. Nothing worse than opening a program and thinking "right so now what do I do".

I agree that Delphy's is far superior for patterns.
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
#8 Old 16th Jun 2009 at 12:44 PM
Srikandi, I guess you haven't tried my latest Pattern Packager then (v1.2) becuase I added the live preview option a good few days ago.

Story books are full of fairy tales, of Kings and Queens, and the bluest skies.
Eminence Grise
#9 Old 17th Jun 2009 at 12:03 AM
zomg thanks delphy! missed the update *smooch* so awesome. Wow looks great.

Why isn't that a featured download, anyway?
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 28th Jun 2009 at 10:32 PM
Hi Delphy

I think there's only two things I wish were included with your tool. With the TSR tool you've got the option to actually preview how the pattern tiles, so you can check whether your pattern is likely to be seamless or not (although I still get the pattern in-game, it's nice to have that early indication). And the other thing I prefer about the TSR version is that it lets me put in a hexidecimal colour to determine the colour that goes on the wall. I know you've got it set up to use hue, saturation and luminosity and rgb colours, but the hexidecimal colour code is just more intuitive considering we use that in-game now.

However, both your tool and the TSR tool are very good tools that do a great job of what they're designed to do, which is get .dds files into the game. They're both very smooth, well-designed and relatively bug free.

Have a great day!

Saraswati

My home site is http://www.sublimesims.net/