Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 9th Sep 2017 at 10:21 AM
Default Mod for changing catalog description in game?
I'm pretty much a lazy boy for changing catalog description, because I kinda hate the boring look of simPE.
So, is there a mod or program to change catalog description in a more user friendly way?
Something like a mod that I can change it in game or a program that looks like body shop?

Thanks for advance!

Yes, i'm still using Sims2. i'll keep it that way.

Alsolookatmychannelrealygoodchannelchannelisaboutanythingyoulikeidunnoimwasting2minutesoftypingthiswhatanawfullsignature...
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 9th Sep 2017 at 11:27 AM
SimPE is made for editing package files, so it's the best program out there.
You can change the outlay slightly in the preferences, but it's mostly just which Windows version you want the windows to appear as.

The only thing I can think of is the "Sims 2 Categorizer" from Paladin's place (here), but it's old and I have no experience with it, so I can't tell if it's any good, and people have reported there might be some issues with the UC if you have that. It probably doesn't look much more exciting than SimPE does, though.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#3 Old 9th Sep 2017 at 2:59 PM
SimCat works fine for me - there are some provisos with it but it is very easy to use. The main proviso is some people have reported problems when editing files that have been compressed. I use it all the time and have very rarely seen that - I compress files myself all the time. The only creator who I have ever had trouble with is CycloneSue. CycloneSue makes some great stuff so I edit that in SimPE instead, otherwise I use SimCat for cataloguing more or less everything. One thing I do is edit a copy file (just make a copy and stick it on the desktop and then edit the version in Downloads). This is insurance - I run the game with the edited things in it and if it loads to the neighbourhood chooser screen, you're generally ok. I then delete the copies. I've never had a problem. The reason I use SimCat so much is it is about a million times quicker than SimPE for casual catalogue editing. I used it recently to hide a whole pile of stuff from the catalogue so I could just have things in collections instead. SimCat made that job very quick and much more bearable than trying to do it in SimPE. I love SimPE but SimCat and Wardrobe Wrangler are really good for quick edits and I'd recommend them above SimPE for that sort of thing.

I've seen several people be doubtful about SimCat but it was made by James at SimWardrobe (which was itself a similar progamme for TS1) and generally his stuff is fine. SimCat is fine. If it comes to that SimPE is also pretty old now. The only issue with it with UC that I would anticipate is that, like other utility programmes, it's not designed to work with the folder addressing for the UC but like other utility programmes, you can just use the 'browse' function to find your folders instead. It remembers the folder you were last in - if you delete or move that, when you run the programme again, it defaults back to My Documents\....\Downloads which might cause issues for UC.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 10th Sep 2017 at 10:26 AM
Quote: Originally posted by maxon
SimCat works fine for me - there are some provisos with it but it is very easy to use.

Simcat is amazing!

I was about to ask an another question of how to "making the main reason why the sim wants to use that object" aka "wants satisfy category", but this program already answered the question!

Thank you Maxon!

Yes, i'm still using Sims2. i'll keep it that way.

Alsolookatmychannelrealygoodchannelchannelisaboutanythingyoulikeidunnoimwasting2minutesoftypingthiswhatanawfullsignature...
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#5 Old 10th Sep 2017 at 1:38 PM Last edited by maxon : 11th Sep 2017 at 2:00 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by Rickz13
Simcat is amazing!

I was about to ask an another question of how to "making the main reason why the sim wants to use that object" aka "wants satisfy category", but this program already answered the question!

Thank you Maxon!

Yeah - you can edit a lot of stuff from the OBJD with SimCat. Be aware that editing the motives is ineffective but that's because you have to edit the BCONs for that and SimCat doesn't give you access to the BCONs - that's a job for SimPE.

My advice, as I said, is edit a copy and test before you accept the result - but that's sound advice for editing anything for the game with any tool.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc