Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
#26 Old 7th Oct 2017 at 5:36 AM
Extracting OBJ meshes can lead to the UVmap being somewhat distorted (only happens to CAS meshes, not objects). The map will sometimes jump down a step, making the texture show very weird ingame. I prefer using GMDCs for hairs and other CAS meshes, since they don't randomly give the jumpy UV issue. The bone assignments are usually easy to fix, and will often be quicker than assigning the entire OBJ mesh.

You don't need the body mesh for short hairs, but it's useful for various other CAS projects, and also if the base of the hair reaches the neck/shoulders, so you don't get any clipping ingame.

If you've used mesh parts from EAxis hairs, you should be able to combine the UVs and the textures and get a decent result with a bit of tweaking - or you can use the two textures separately (may need some tweaking of the recolor file). Hairs can usually deal with a bit of stretching for the textures, as long as the stretching goes in the direction of the hair.
Advertisement
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#27 Old 8th Oct 2017 at 3:47 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
Extracting OBJ meshes can lead to the UVmap being somewhat distorted (only happens to CAS meshes, not objects). The map will sometimes jump down a step, making the texture show very weird ingame. I prefer using GMDCs for hairs and other CAS meshes, since they don't randomly give the jumpy UV issue. The bone assignments are usually easy to fix, and will often be quicker than assigning the entire OBJ mesh.

You don't need the body mesh for short hairs, but it's useful for various other CAS projects, and also if the base of the hair reaches the neck/shoulders, so you don't get any clipping ingame.

If you've used mesh parts from EAxis hairs, you should be able to combine the UVs and the textures and get a decent result with a bit of tweaking - or you can use the two textures separately (may need some tweaking of the recolor file). Hairs can usually deal with a bit of stretching for the textures, as long as the stretching goes in the direction of the hair.

The UVmap is actually fully intact and hasn't been distorted at all. I think I know what I can do now I'll try it out tomorrow.
Mad Poster
#28 Old 8th Oct 2017 at 1:30 PM
I tested your hair with the textures from both hairs, and it looks fine as long as you match the correct mesh groups to the correct texture. You may want to edit the texture a little in the front, but technically it's not needed. The last pic below shows the Meg/Acorn textures on your mesh. You can easily have two (even three or more) different textures for a hair, but the more you add the bigger the file, and the more work is needed in SimPE to link the textures to the right parts.

I did however see a problem with the joint assignments. I combined the Meg and Acorn hairs, and saw that even with the changes you've made to the mesh, you should probably use the same assigning as the original hairs. The hairs are very close in size and shape, so the changes you've done can easily explain the issues you're seeing ingame, particularly in the front and back. Among other things, there's a random line assigned to the head in between parts assigned to the hair bones (the pink line), and the fringes are assigned more to the left/right bones than the Front bone.

In the pictures, yours is to the left and the Meg/Acorn hair is to the right. The colors are from the "show with bone colors" tick box, and as you can see they're more evenly distributed on the original meshes, which usually indicates a better flow in the animation ingame.
Screenshots
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#29 Old 10th Oct 2017 at 1:42 PM
I tested your hair with the textures from both hairs, and it looks fine as long as you match the correct mesh groups to the correct texture. You may want to edit the texture a little in the front, but technically it's not needed. The last pic below shows the Meg/Acorn textures on your mesh. You can easily have two (even three or more) different textures for a hair, but the more you add the bigger the file, and the more work is needed in SimPE to link the textures to the right parts.

I did however see a problem with the joint assignments. I combined the Meg and Acorn hairs, and saw that even with the changes you've made to the mesh, you should probably use the same assigning as the original hairs. The hairs are very close in size and shape, so the changes you've done can easily explain the issues you're seeing ingame, particularly in the front and back. Among other things, there's a random line assigned to the head in between parts assigned to the hair bones (the pink line), and the fringes are assigned more to the left/right bones than the Front bone.

In the pictures, yours is to the left and the Meg/Acorn hair is to the right. The colors are from the "show with bone colors" tick box, and as you can see they're more evenly distributed on the original meshes, which usually indicates a better flow in the animation in game.

I'll have to have a go at completely re rigging it

I actually tried rigging it 98 to the head and 2 to the center joint/bone of animation. It was mainly done as a test just to see what would happen.

it doesn't move much if at all but it hasn't warped or anything and in this state uses a temporary texture.

I'll keep this updated once I re-rig. I'm also considering changing the shape just a tad but not fully committed on that idea.

EDIT: I forgot to mention there was a little bit of a gap in the back where it should be connected to the back of the face/head. Unfortunaterly I forgot to take a pic of that.

How would I go about fixing that?
Screenshots
Mad Poster
#30 Old 10th Oct 2017 at 4:49 PM
If the gap only appears ingame on Bodyshop, it's probably just a regular neck gap. It can be fixed by marking the vertices that directly connect with the neck in the face mesh (I think it's 6 or 8 vertices - if you're unsure, open up the afhairbald mesh and have a look, the vertices usually show up in a light orange hue), and assign them 50/50 to the head and neck joints. The rest of the vertices directly connecting with the face should be 100% assigned to the head, or they'll cause gaps.

Assigning something to 2% (against 98% for the other joint) is rather pointless, as the animation won't show ingame. You'll sometimes see joints assigned to small numbers, but usually that's when they're assigned to 3 or 4 joints, and there's a "gradient" assigning where the vertices get further away from that joint.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#31 Old 14th Oct 2017 at 12:02 AM Last edited by carrit : 10th Feb 2018 at 11:17 AM.
If the gap only appears ingame on Bodyshop, it's probably just a regular neck gap. It can be fixed by marking the vertices that directly connect with the neck in the face mesh (I think it's 6 or 8 vertices - if you're unsure, open up the afhairbald mesh and have a look, the vertices usually show up in a light orange hue), and assign them 50/50 to the head and neck joints. The rest of the vertices directly connecting with the face should be 100% assigned to the head, or they'll cause gaps.

Assigning something to 2% (against 98% for the other joint) is rather pointless, as the animation won't show ingame. You'll sometimes see joints assigned to small numbers, but usually that's when they're assigned to 3 or 4 joints, and there's a "gradient" assigning where the vertices get further away from that joint.

It shows up in game mostly. I actually decided I'm going to redo the back part of the hair and adjust the bangs accordingly.

EDIT: I'm also still having an issue with the seams showing... I'm pretty sure in the program I used to re-shape/remesh automatically smoothed out the mesh.
Page 2 of 2