Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 27th Jul 2008 at 5:14 AM
Default Across The Universe
Have any of you guys seen Across The Universe?

I Obviously have and i enjoyed every minute of it, great beatle remakes, not to mention the story line that goes with it is also great.

What are your thoughts on it? What things did you figure out about the movie? ex.prudence cam out of the closet;if you remember she was singing'I want to hold your hand' to a cheerleader.
Advertisement
#2 Old 27th Jul 2008 at 5:36 AM
I LOVE that movie! It was well put together, and I just love how they made a story out of a compilation of Beetles songs! It was so creative. I love how the main character's name is Jude, I was like, so when are they going to sing "Hey Jude"? And then they sang it near the end. I just love the visual effects too. It's like each song almost has it's own music video in a way. Especially "I Want You (She's So Heavy)" and "Strawberry Fields Forever" Those were my two favorites on the visual parts.

I saw it at a funny time too. My roommate and I came home (to my house) for spring break, and my roommate is from Pakistan. My parents had rented the movie on Netflix and we all watched it together. I watched that movie just about everyday that whole week. I became obsessed with the movie, and my roommate became obsessed with the Beetles. The funniest part was when she asked me (seriously), "The Beetles are German, right?" :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I was like, "...:doh......You've GOT to be kidding me!"
Mad Poster
#3 Old 27th Jul 2008 at 2:47 PM
I have the soundtrack on my iPod . My favorite songs were Something, Happiness Is A Warm Gun, Revolution, Oh! Darling, and All You Need Is Love.

The art director of the movie was phenomenal- it was put together with such vision and creativity, which was the real clincher for me other than the songs.

Do I dare disturb the universe?
| tumblr | My TS3 Photos |
Field Researcher
#4 Old 8th Aug 2008 at 8:00 AM
It was honestly one of the best musicial films i'd seen in a long time. They did such a faboulous job at updating the Beatles' songs without screwing them up or changing them too much. It's a beautiful movie to watch, a feast for the eyes and ears.
Mad Poster
#5 Old 8th Aug 2008 at 2:26 PM
I would love to see an Across the Universe-esque musical set to Queen songs rather than The Beatles. Wouldn't that be awesome? There are certainly enough songs and it's an iconic band.

Alchemist
#6 Old 8th Aug 2008 at 2:32 PM
Oh dude! A Queen musical... that would be so cool. They probably will do it. Who knows what the plot would be... there's some interesting Queen songs out there... lol.

I haven't seen the movie yet, but I have the soundtrack on iTunes. My favorites are Something, I Wanna Hold Your Hand (although her voice gets annoying after listening too many times), If I Fell, and Blackbird.
Mad Poster
#7 Old 8th Aug 2008 at 2:36 PM
I love Something... his voice is so pure and perfect in that song. Probably my favorite out of the entire musical. I know that the senior show choir at my school watched Across the Universe at their end-of-year party... I wonder if the teacher fast forwarded the boob during that song .

Alchemist
#8 Old 8th Aug 2008 at 2:44 PM
LOL, the boob? I have to see this movie, wtf.
Mad Poster
#9 Old 8th Aug 2008 at 2:49 PM
That song is sung when Jude is drawing Lucy while she sleeps... in the nude :P.

Test Subject
#10 Old 8th Aug 2008 at 6:13 PM
The guy playing Jude is hot. And the music was very nice. I'd also like to see such a movie done with many other famous pop rock bands :D
Mad Poster
#11 Old 8th Aug 2008 at 6:17 PM
He was hot... he had such cute puppy eyes. How did ABBA get a movie and bands such as Queen and The Rolling Stones haven't? Seriously.

Field Researcher
#12 Old 8th Aug 2008 at 7:31 PM
Hey, I like ABBA lol. But I do like Queen more. I do think a Queen musical would be awesome!! I can see it now.
Mad Poster
#13 Old 8th Aug 2008 at 7:37 PM
Have you seen the video for I Want To Break Free? If they made a Queen musical and did the routine to that song in drag like the video... oh god, I would die of laughter .

Field Researcher
#14 Old 8th Aug 2008 at 7:41 PM
OMG, that would be so funny!! Hopefully they would pick more attactive drag queens than they did for Priscilla, Queen of the Desert! LOL I can see Hugo Weaving running around lipping we will rock you!!!!!
Field Researcher
#15 Old 9th Aug 2008 at 10:59 AM
I own the movie and I really have to say it's my favorite musical movie that I know of. The covers of the songs are brilliant and are great remakes of Beatles songs, spectacular visual effects, and putting together all those songs like that for a plot is just great. My favorite songs from it are "Hold Me Tight", "All My Loving", "Let It Be", "If I Fell", "Across the Universe", "Strawberry Fields Forever", and "Blackbird".

Also, in a deleted scene, they had the song, "And I Love Her" which they cut out. It just shows Jojo writing a song while Sadie is watching him from afar -- both nude ... so that's probably the reason why they cut it out.
Field Researcher
#16 Old 9th Aug 2008 at 1:01 PM
There is already a Queen musical, called We Will Rock You:

http://wewillrockyou.queenonline.com/
Mad Poster
#17 Old 9th Aug 2008 at 3:43 PM
That musical looks awesome! The songs sound kind of weird just because I'm used to a male singing them and they have a female on classics such as Somebody To Love. If only they would convert it to film... and if only I lived in England so I could see it .

EDIT: Downloaded the soundtrack and have been listening to it... what the hell? You do NOT change the words to I Want To Break Free. Killer Queen got butchered, too. Freddie Mercury is rolling over in his grave.

Field Researcher
#18 Old 9th Aug 2008 at 5:43 PM
If he is - he can blame Brian May and Rodger Taylor (remaining band members) they worked on it and endorsed it. It co-written with Ben Elton, a British comedian (he's not funny at all, quite shit in my opinion) and produced by Robert De Niro (all taken from Wikipedia).
Mad Poster
#19 Old 9th Aug 2008 at 5:47 PM
I guess they had to change the lyrics to fit in with the plot of the play. Still... Queen is epic and you don't just go changing things wily nily :P. It's blasphemy. Robert De Niro having worked in association with it is kind of surprising, to me. Just wouldn't have expected that from him. I love the cover of No One But You from the album, although none of this has anything on the original. That and I Want To Break Free are the songs I can't help but sing along with . Some of the covers from the play are just a little too much wailing, but I would see it in a heartbeat.