Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 19th Aug 2007 at 3:53 AM Last edited by F.usic : 19th Aug 2007 at 4:03 AM.
Default 2 problems in one..oh goodie!!
Alright I am having a few issues with the Sims2Pack Clean Installer. I installed this many times and still, I cant seem to get it to work, unless I'm doing something wrong.

I have the original, Pets, Nightlife, Seasons and I just got OFB today.

Here's the issues:

for one, I go into Sims2, and package a lot. Take screenshots etc. so then i can FINALLY upload them here at MTS2. I have tons of houses for all of you!! Anyways, I package the lot, it says its done etc. Then what happens is I'll open Sims2Pack Clean Installer and use the dropdown and choose 'browse..' I'll then go to My documents/ea games/sims2/packagedlots. Nothing comes up at all. The dropdown doesnt have the mydocuments/ea games etc. or anything (if it's supposed to).Instead it says 'browse..'. It's almost as if it didnt choose anything I picked in the browse window. The file is a .sims2pack file., so I dont see why it shouldnt come up. I have three houses in there, one of which I'd like to put on MTS2. If I can get this to work, then there will be at least another 5 houses coming.

Another thing is, after I get this to work: does all the custom content i have in the house come included in the file? This would save a whole bunch of work for everyone and me because I put a bunch of custom content in that house and I dont want to remove it in the game. I'd rather remove it using the Clean Installer if i had to.

Thanks all of you!
Advertisement
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
#2 Old 19th Aug 2007 at 8:54 AM
Instead of using Browse to get to the Sims2Packs, just navigate through explorer and open them up that way.

You can remove content using the Clean Installer, yes, and the game will otherwise package everything it can inside the sims2pack.

Story books are full of fairy tales, of Kings and Queens, and the bluest skies.
Field Researcher
#3 Old 25th Aug 2007 at 12:22 PM
Quote: Originally posted by F.usic
........ I go into Sims2, and package a lot.......-CUT- Anyways, I package the lot, it says its done etc. Then what happens is I'll open Sims2Pack Clean Installer and use the dropdown and choose 'browse..' I'll then go to My documents/ea games/sims2/packagedlots. Nothing comes up at all. The dropdown doesnt have the mydocuments/ea games etc. or anything (if it's supposed to).Instead it says 'browse..'. It's almost as if it didnt choose anything I picked in the browse window.

You don't need to run CI and search the file with the browser.
Make this steps:
- create the file into the game,
- go to the "MyDocuments/EA Games/The Sims 2 /PackagedLots
(This folder was created "by the game" when you package the first lot or sim, and it's NOT loaded by the game )
- In the PackagedLots find your file Sims2Pack: if the CI is the default programs to open it (the file shows the CI icon and not the standard maxis blu one) simply double click on it to open,
or if the default program is the Maxis' one, click right on the icon and choose Open with -> Sims2Pack Clean Installer.

- Search all the files of the custom items that you like to delete and deselect them

- Clik on Save as......

- Select the folder where you like to save the new file.

Now these steps are more important to get your new Sim2Pack works fine! Pay Attention, please.

1- In the Select filename dialog, enter a filename for the new .Sims2pack . Attention: ONLY the name, without format!

2- In the Save as dialog DON'T PUT ANYTHING! Leave it empty!

- Click Save

3- Now close the Sims2Pack CleanInstaller: clik Cancel or the red cross on the right top window. Don't close with OK or other bottons.

If you open the new Sims2Pack you'll see that it includes all the files that you have selected without the custom items you are delesected.
Try your new Sims2Pack. Make sure it works fine before sharing it.

Quote:
Another thing is, after I get this to work: does all the custom content i have in the house come included in the file? This would save a whole bunch of work for everyone and me because I put a bunch of custom content in that house and I dont want to remove it in the game. I'd rather remove it using the Clean Installer if i had to.

When you package a lot in the Sims2Packfile you'll find all the custom items you have used in the lot and ALL the RECOLOURS you have in your downloads about all the objects used, even if they are Maxis' object. Then you'll find also some hacks or patch even if they are not in use in that lot.
If the lot was played, you'll find also ALL the sims, friends, NEIGHBOURS, NPC, ecc. ( all the sims that the owner of the lot met)

To shear the custom items inside the Sims2Pack make sure that the authors allow to redistribute them in file's lot, otherwise you must delete them from the file and put a link to the items.

If you delete custom item with CI you DO NOT delete the files that are in your Downloads folder, the files inside the Sims2Pack are copies of the files you have.

If you like my creations, you may consider to make a little donation to support my site and my modding activity.
MaryLou's Sims 2 World - MaryLou Sims 2 Forum (Italiano)
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 27th Dec 2007 at 2:12 AM
I'm glad I read this, in the FAQ's it says
""
Q: Should i remove them no matter what ?

A: It is completely up to you. If you're not sure what it is, and you want to be sure your game is hack clean remove it. If it is something you know and like do not. ""

I was thinking when I removed my duplicates using CPI, they were gone from the game.
Good to know now.