Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 1st Dec 2011 at 3:53 AM
Default Trans people in the media
Ok, so I'm new to this, but I noticed a lot of these posts are really old. The one I did find about the T was about Chaz, when he first publicly announced his transition.

My question: Because I'm a transwoman, and all I talk about is trans issues, what do yall think about the portrayal or even reference to/of trans people in the media? Is it positive? Is it realistic?

Personally, I really love actress Jamie Clayton. She tends to land roles that aren't too demeaning, and she expresses herself in a very real way. She's kinda my role model. haha
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 11th Dec 2011 at 11:26 AM
In the news, the way certain articles are written are very trans-phobic, ignorant, and downright insulting and unprofessional. But at the same time, many trans-celebs keep getting positive comments, support, and admiration of who they are. Shit thrown at them too, but those are not as visible. (Unless it's a site like youtube. *rolls eyes*)

I love Balian Buschbaum, myself.
Field Researcher
#3 Old 22nd Dec 2011 at 2:18 PM
I was on Divorce Court once, does that count as being in the media

The world is just now begining to accept Gays and Lesbians, and even they are not as accepting of Trans folks, as you'd think, so, it might be a while before our time comes.

I don't think I have a particular favorite tran's person celeb, I'm just glad they are out there showing people we are just like them. We are all humans.

It's your life, live it your way!
Want to see what else I make, go to www.rlm-soft.com and check it out.
Find out what's happening with Sim Tracker
---
Top Secret Researcher
#4 Old 30th Dec 2011 at 8:30 AM
Honestly, its how you look at it. From perspective, if someone does act out a roll of being Transsexual or they tell the world that they are Transsexual. Some will look at it in a very disgusting way, in which inclines that they believe it is for negative purposes. Showing immoral statures to the "Young Generation". As for me, I do believe its positive, it teaches the "Young Generation" that you shouldn't be afraid of who you are. Just because you have the exterior of a female or a male, doesn't mean that you feel that you should be that way.

"Queen of the Damned seeks knight in shining piercings for pleasure, pain and purring"--Scary Mary from the Urbz: Sims In The City

"A Famous Explorer once said: 'The extraordinary is in what we do, not who we are.'"--Lara Croft from Tomb Raider 2013
Test Subject
#5 Old 16th Mar 2012 at 9:28 PM
I frequently end up in arguments over the portrayal of transgender issues. The primary issue is complete ignorance to the facts. People have this absurd idea that transsexualism is a fetish or perversion, completely unaware of decades of medical studies. The vast majority of people who bother to argue about it have made up their minds and can't be convince of reality, but I tend to hope that undecided onlookers take notice.
Test Subject
#6 Old 16th Mar 2012 at 9:39 PM
Also, this quack, Keith Ablow, keeps getting quoted by bigots on TV. This guy has been disavowed by the American Psychiatric Association because of his rants on Fox News about LGBT issues. He says he resigned, as if they wanted him. He's not even qualified to comment on these issues. He's a forensic psychiatrist, as in, he determines whether or not somebody is fit to stand trial or otherwise legally insane. His area of expertise is homicidal maniacs, not gender and sexuality.
Top Secret Researcher
#7 Old 7th Oct 2012 at 7:58 PM
I have to say, it does seem a bit harsh how they portray LGBT people in The media, but especially transsexuals. People have to respect people for who they are, especially from the inside. If someone doesn't feel right as a Male and feels like they'd be better as a woman, fine with me! It's been accepted some way in Thailand for centuries, but why not the west? It's not much different really (well maybe emotionally) from plastic surgery, but you don't get all the negative attention of sex changes with plastic surgery, do you?

Just Call me Square!
Field Researcher
#8 Old 18th Jan 2013 at 7:49 PM
I've always wanted to start a band..of course I'm kind of small and geeky, so I wouldn't respond well to hate.
Test Subject
#9 Old 4th Feb 2013 at 2:29 AM
never heard of Jamie Clayton i will look on youtube or google :P
Scholar
#10 Old 15th Jul 2013 at 2:50 PM
I...never mind...
Lab Assistant
#11 Old 25th Mar 2015 at 9:17 AM
unique on glee was really a very realstic view of transwoman teens figuring out themselves