Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 12th Jan 2011 at 7:55 AM
Default Ghost Picture In Family Tree
When someone dies in my lot, the photo in the family tree becomes greyscaled which is normal, but after a short while, it will become a ghost picture and stay that way forever.

Anybody experiencing this too?
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 12th Jan 2011 at 10:08 AM
Yes! It's completely normal too. When a Sim dies the game attempts to update it's family tree portrait to the Sim's appearance. And after death, that is a ghost by default. Unfortunately there is no sure way to prevent this, but I have been successful with two methods.

1. If you have debug interactions enabled (with a third party hack, for me it's Awesome Mod) you can "immediate kill" your Sims, skipping the Grim Reaper death animations along with your Sim appearing as a ghost. This should cause the portrait of the Sim in the family tree to be just grayscale. Of course any time afterward, if your deceased Sim should return as a ghost, the portrait will change to a ghost-picture. You can delete the grave if you're willing right after the Sim dies to make sure it doesn't spawn as a ghost later. I have had success with this most of the time.

2. If you don't feel comfortable killing your Sims directly, and would rather wait for them to expire naturally, you can move you're game's camera as far away from the current family or even switch active households. As long as the Sim who is dying isn't in rendering distance the game should, theoretically, skip the death animations and deposit the grave either to the family inventory or the Mausoleum, which you will have to delete afterward to prevent your Sim from ghostifing like I mentioned above. Note: Usually when something major happens in the game (like a Sim dying) your camera will be automatically transported to where the event is happening, making these directions useless. There are mods out there that keep this from happening (for example, Awesome Mod's 'don't move my camera' setting).

Regardless, you'll have to delete your Sims graves to prevent them from turning to ghost-portraits. And neither of the above methods I listed are guaranteed to work either, I've done both numerous times and have had mixed results. You could always either save or back up your game in case either method didn't work, that is, if you're trying them at all.
Hope I helped.