Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 1st Aug 2009 at 5:55 PM
Default Mac Question: Worth the upgrade to Leopard?
I'm currently playing The Sims 2 on an intel iMac (2006) with Mac OS X Tiger.
Since The Sims 3 came out, I've been thinking about buying Mac OS X Leopard for $100 and then $50 for the sims 3. I don't really want to pay $150 to run the game...but on the other hand it might be worth it..Thoughts?
Thanks!
Advertisement
shiny!
retired moderator
#2 Old 1st Aug 2009 at 5:59 PM
What are the specs of your iMac?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 1st Aug 2009 at 7:04 PM
Mac OS X Tiger, Version 10.4.11
Processor: 2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Memory: 1 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRam

I bought it off amazon back in 2006 and haven't made any mechanical updates to it since then, but I do update the software when apple comes out with a new update.
shiny!
retired moderator
#4 Old 1st Aug 2009 at 7:07 PM
What are your graphics? Not all imacs meet minimum requirements to play the game.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 1st Aug 2009 at 7:53 PM
It says that I have an ATI Radeon X1600...is that what you mean?
shiny!
retired moderator
#6 Old 2nd Aug 2009 at 1:05 AM
Okay, then your computer at least meets minimum requirements. I'm not sure how to answer the question of worth.. My understanding is that in order to play the game you'd have to either upgrade the OS or play in Windows bootcamp, since EA states that the game isn't supported on the older Mac OS. Maybe someone else can comment if they've actually tried it on the older OS, but I'm just going off of EA stated requirements.

The only thing I'd be concerned with is your lack of RAM. Even with Windows XP, which will take less than 512mb to run the OS, people are needing about 2GB total to be stable. That means that the game alone appears need about a max of 1.5GB of free RAM. So, you do meet requirements, but there's no guarantee that game play will be perfect even if you spend the money on the new OS.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 3rd Aug 2009 at 1:38 PM
Thanks for you input! I'm not sure if I'll get the game now..I might just wait a little while.