Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Texturing God
Original Poster
#1 Old 10th Feb 2005 at 3:22 PM
Default How do I make Painitngs not go down with walls
Hi all.

I'm making a new object, it's a pot rack for the kitchen. The problem is that for it to work right I have to use a light, curtain or painting as base. The light dissappears when you get close because it's fixed to the ceiling (I could make it not dissappear by changing the ceiling bhav but then I couldn't place things under it). The other two are fixed to the walls and dissappear whenever walls do.

So my question is: Is there something I can change to make a painting or cutain always be visible, even when walls aren't?...

Any help is appreciated.

-Exnem

If you want to get my creations please visit my site. ExnemSims .
Advertisement
One of those Maxoids
#2 Old 10th Feb 2005 at 5:39 PM
Object data field 8 needs to have the bit 0x0400 set to 0. Then it won't be hidden when walls are down. Btw, windows are always hidden when walls are down.
Texturing God
Original Poster
#3 Old 10th Feb 2005 at 7:20 PM
Quote: Originally posted by MaxoidTom
Object data field 8 needs to have the bit 0x0400 set to 0. Then it won't be hidden when walls are down. Btw, windows are always hidden when walls are down.

Thank you very much MaxoidTom, I never thought someone from maxis was going to answer my question. Much appreciated, thanks.

Texturing God
Original Poster
#4 Old 10th Feb 2005 at 7:49 PM
MaxoidTom:

I tried following your instructions using SimPE. So I selected the Object Data file, then looked for a 0x0400 bit, but I couldn't find it.

I found:
0x0040: verison_1 - Read Only = 0x008B 139

Is this what I have to change?

I also tried counting the fields from top to bottom and number eight was:

0x040E: Interaction Table ID -I changed this to 0 but had no success.

Could you be a little more specific about how to change that bit? Is it ok to use SimPE? or do I need a hex editor?

I'm sorry for bugging you, but I'd really appreciate your help.

Retired Duck
retired moderator
#5 Old 12th Feb 2005 at 12:49 PM Last edited by Echo : 12th Feb 2005 at 12:51 PM. Reason: mistype
Hi exnem,

I think you might have misread Maxoid Tom, the post said "field 8", the bit that needs to be set to 0 is 0x0400. The function to set it is called in the Init BHAV for the paintings. I imagine it would need to look something like:

My 0x0008 Clear Flag Literal Value 0x0400

One of those Maxoids
#6 Old 13th Feb 2005 at 2:46 AM
It is an object data field for each object instance, not in the object definition. You will need to add a behavior node that sets that bit.
Texturing God
Original Poster
#7 Old 14th Feb 2005 at 4:01 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Echo
Hi exnem,

I think you might have misread Maxoid Tom, the post said "field 8", the bit that needs to be set to 0 is 0x0400. The function to set it is called in the Init BHAV for the paintings. I imagine it would need to look something like:

My 0x0008 Clear Flag Literal Value 0x0400

Thank you Echo. I think I understand now. I haven't hacked anything yet, but I used to do it with sims1 (I figure it's a similar thing). Thanks again, and thanks MaxoidTom too.

Field Researcher
#8 Old 14th Feb 2005 at 4:21 PM
Quote: Originally posted by exnem
Thank you Echo. I think I understand now. I haven't hacked anything yet, but I used to do it with sims1 (I figure it's a similar thing). Thanks again, and thanks MaxoidTom too.

For the paintings anyway (I'm sure the lights are the same, but haven't looked). The code to clear the flag is:

My 0008 clear flag literal value 000B.

I just did a mod the other day to toggle the paintings back and forth. If you always want the object to stay up, just remove the line that sets the flag in the Init BHAV for the object.
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 14th Feb 2005 at 4:27 PM
There was a hack posted here today earlier on that made paintings visible when walls are down... Maybe you can use somthing from that?
Texturing God
Original Poster
#10 Old 15th Feb 2005 at 3:36 AM
Quote: Originally posted by twojeffs
For the paintings anyway (I'm sure the lights are the same, but haven't looked). The code to clear the flag is:

My 0008 clear flag literal value 000B.

Thank you very much twojeffs, that worked. It was exactly what I needed.