Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 16th Dec 2016 at 3:30 AM
Default Dropbox ending public folder support
Quote:
As a result, we’ll soon be ending support for the Public folder. Dropbox Pro users will be able to use the Public folder until September 1, 2017. After that date the files in your Public folder will become private, and links to these files will be deactivated. Your files will remain safe in Dropbox.

(Basic Support ends March 17, 2017)

Thought I should let Simmers know. Most of them use shared links (the ones that require you click on 'download') rather than the Public folder (direct links) so I don't know how much it'll affect the community. But if anyone knows of anything grab it while you can.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 16th Dec 2016 at 4:28 AM
Why are they getting rid of it?
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#3 Old 16th Dec 2016 at 4:38 AM
I don't know. Corporates are alien creatures.

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Mad Poster
#4 Old 16th Dec 2016 at 4:55 AM
There are so many retired creators who left their dropbox public folders available for download. Ouch!

First what came in mind is already gone: http://misstiikeri.tumblr.com/
Mad Poster
#5 Old 16th Dec 2016 at 8:23 AM
Got an email too.

We're always looking to improve the Dropbox sharing experience. The Public folder was the first sharing method we introduced, and since then, we've built even better ways for you to share securely and work together with your team.

As a result, we'll soon be ending support for the Public folder. Dropbox Basic users will be able to use the Public folder until March 15, 2017. After that date the files in your Public folder will become private, and links to these files will be deactivated. Your files will remain safe in Dropbox.

If you'd like to keep sharing files in your Public folder, you can create new shared links. Just make sure to send the new URLs to your collaborators.

In addition to shared links, we have a number of sharing options designed to make collaboration easier and give you more control. To learn more, visit our Help Center.

The Dropbox team

Quote: Originally posted by Annaminna
First what came in mind is already gone: http://misstiikeri.tumblr.com/

That link worked for me and wasn't Dropbox, but Mediafire.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#6 Old 16th Dec 2016 at 8:38 AM
I love how they try and make it sound like an improvement. <_< What an annoyance.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#7 Old 16th Dec 2016 at 8:48 AM
"It's not a bug, it's a feature!" comes to mind.

Scholar
#8 Old 16th Dec 2016 at 11:25 AM
I'm truly upset about how they ram the removal of long-standing/often-used features down our throats as an 'improvement'.

I always found direct links not to works as well as links into the shared folder. So ALL that I share goes through that folder, and now I'm forced to find ALL those links and change my approach for them @$$hats?

Until now, they were my favorite file-sharing system. Now I must consider abandoning them idiots!

Wait, did I start by saying I was upset? No, that's not correct. I'm not upset. I'm really pi$$ed off!
Mad Poster
#9 Old 16th Dec 2016 at 12:10 PM
I've got so many Dropbox links scattered around. I'm so not looking forward to having to fix them. But at the very least they don't delete files, like Mediafire did at least one or two times.

I've mosly gone over to simfileshare, because I've used up the space on Dropbox, so maybe I'll just slowly change the links to there. Let's just hope Simfileshare won't ever go down the drain...

Is there a reason why they're doing this, other than "now you can have fun changing 2 GB+ of links"?

I'm guessing link sharing will still be available, but you have to click the link and go to the site, and click "download there - instead of "cheating it" with a link that goes to a direct download? Or will everything be private and non-shareable? Or will we still be able to use shared links, but have to change ALL of them back to public?

I can't see any of this as an added "feature". This is going to be a bug for sure. If people want their files to be private now, surely they set them as such? Sounds like a very unneccessary roundabout.
Mad Poster
#10 Old 16th Dec 2016 at 2:01 PM
Thank you, appreciate the warning. I use it for a few of my Sims-related tutorials, and a whole heap of things from other areas in life. It does seem rather a weird change, but hopefully they have something similar up their sleeves.

Creations can be found on my on tumblr.
Alchemist
#11 Old 16th Dec 2016 at 2:04 PM
Nabila's links will be affected.https://www.dropbox.com/sh/4y87tliq...DKay3MZ3Ya?dl=0

I don't think she's active anymore, either. I'd been looking for her stuff forever and just found and bookmarked that page.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#12 Old 16th Dec 2016 at 5:59 PM
@omglo - do you have a Dropbox account yourself? If you do, you can add all the files to your own dropbox.

Anyways I was thinking about it. Probably it's easier to shove ads/tracking bugs onto a share-page rather than a direct link.

Scholar
#13 Old 16th Dec 2016 at 6:25 PM
I have a dropbox account, so I can do it for you.
Theorist
#14 Old 16th Dec 2016 at 6:58 PM
I would think that for those items of retired or abandoned creators would be better off collected and sent to the Graveyard, no?
Alchemist
#15 Old 16th Dec 2016 at 7:27 PM
@Ihate, I don't, but that's good to know. I'll look into that, just in case.

GOS has started a sub-board to archive the downloads that will be affected.
http://digitalperversion.net/garden...php?board=141.0
Scholar
#16 Old 17th Dec 2016 at 12:15 AM
This community needs its own version of Ao3.

Check out my simblr https://www.tumblr.com/blog/tbssimblr

Click the link, you know you want to. ;)
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#17 Old 17th Dec 2016 at 12:18 AM
There's SimFileShare.

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#18 Old 17th Dec 2016 at 12:52 AM
Wait a second here. Saw a bit of misinformation on one of the threads on GoS (about Veranka's downloads) - it's only the files being shared via direct link that will be affected by this.

I'll use my archive of Dizzy's stuff as an example.

Direct link (will be affected):
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u...Stuff/dizzy.zip

Shared link ([b[will not[/b] be affected):
https://www.dropbox.com/s/re131b075.../dizzy.zip?dl=1

Though the forum crunches down the link, you can hover over it and see it in the status bar. It's pretty easy to tell the URLs apart.

Scholar
#19 Old 17th Dec 2016 at 11:28 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ihatemandatoryregister
There's SimFileShare.

Which does not help much if not everything you share is sims-related.
Instructor
#20 Old 17th Dec 2016 at 1:17 PM
Most of my files are on Dropbox on my wordpress - I'm going to reupload them to SimsFileShare as I don't want anyone else reuploading my cc.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#21 Old 17th Dec 2016 at 5:29 PM
Quote: Originally posted by BoilingOil
Which does not help much if not everything you share is sims-related.

I was actually responding to the "Sims version of AO3" (a fanfiction site run by fandom people).

Top Secret Researcher
#22 Old 19th Dec 2016 at 11:39 PM
Meh, Dropbox has kinda been lagging behind lately. Still just 2GB of free storage space, compared to OneDrive's 5GB and Google Drive's 15GB (!). I despise of OneDrive, but Google Drive is something I've been using a lot lately. You can share files and folders there as well, so that's one plausible alternative, for those who have had enough of Dropbox but hate Mediafire as well.

Quote: Originally posted by Charity
Got an email too.

We're always looking to improve the Dropbox sharing experience. The Public folder was the first sharing method we introduced, and since then, we've built even better ways for you to share securely and work together with your team.

Like what? I doubt forcing people to update their links is "the better way".
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#23 Old 19th Dec 2016 at 11:44 PM
It's better for their profit margins.

MEGA (mega.nz) is decent too, even though I'm only speaking from the perspective of a downloader. I've been told it's pretty good on the uploading side, though.

Or we could just decentralize the entire thing and just start distributing CC via BitTorrent.