1 people viewing
Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#6751 Old 17th Sep 2018 at 11:30 PM
Quote: Originally posted by PenelopeT
Charity and Jo, thanks for the links...I already have all the hairs of interest from those creators.

I was doing some hair culling yesterday (to see what I wanted to add back to my game vs permanently remove from my computer) and noticed the disparity between AF and AM in not just clothing (which we long-time players are used to), but hairs as well. Hence my above posting.

Believe me, I look for male hairs that fit my style, and look often. If I liked super long hair, man buns and super high-poly (my cutoff for male hairs is around 7,000 polys and for female hairs around 10,000) short hairs for males I'd be all set , but that's not of interest. So while I do have a decent number of male hairs, more options are always welcomed...especially when you have a neighborhood with an almost equal male-to-female ratio and don't want the same few hairs having to be used over and over again.

Most of my hairs are either shaggy or short. Not to say females don't have more, they do, but I have a good quantity of male hair too. Hat has a ton of short male hair, are you sure you have looked through them all? How many are you after?

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Advertisement
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#6752 Old 17th Sep 2018 at 11:31 PM
@Gcgb53191
Yes, you need a bed. Your room mate will go off to work and also leave the lot to 'run errands' and when he returns will have maxed motives. But, it is entirely possible for the motives to drop when on the lot, so anything your sim needs should also be available for the room mate. If you only have one bed you should be prepared for the room mate to use it sometimes!
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#6753 Old 17th Sep 2018 at 11:43 PM
if you don't mind MM Skoogy also has plenty. https://skoogy.livejournal.com/tag/hair%20-%20male

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Top Secret Researcher
#6754 Old 18th Sep 2018 at 12:03 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
@Gcgb53191
Yes, you need a bed. Your room mate will go off to work and also leave the lot to 'run errands' and when he returns will have maxed motives. But, it is entirely possible for the motives to drop when on the lot, so anything your sim needs should also be available for the room mate. If you only have one bed you should be prepared for the room mate to use it sometimes!

I could have sworn that they never used it so I just stopped supplying them one unless it was a glitch or something at some point 🤔

I mean really they should bring their own stuff !
Theorist
#6755 Old 18th Sep 2018 at 5:51 PM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
Most of my hairs are either shaggy or short. Not to say females don't have more, they do, but I have a good quantity of male hair too. Hat has a ton of short male hair, are you sure you have looked through them all? How many are you after?

I'm am not after some magic number of hairs. As stated before, while there are plenty of newer male hairs to be had, they do not interest me (being the picky person I am) for the reasons mentioned earlier. As for Hat's hairs, yes, I do have all of the ones of interest. In fact, Hat's 'hair dumps' are the reason I switched from Simgaroop's/Poppet's textures/colors to Pooklet's/io's textures/colors. I appreciate you trying to help though.

Being that I'm on Tumblr and also keep up with Simscave updates, sure I'll find more newer simple hairs that make the cut eventually. If so, I'll be sure and add links for others as well.

“Seize the time... Live now! Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.” ― Jean-Luc Picard
Forum Resident
#6756 Old 18th Sep 2018 at 9:39 PM
I can read I can’t help at all

Mainly because all I do is retexture has hair

That said
Being on tumblr and all that
Idk why the download with 8 sims and one hair texture is the most downloaded file from my download archive and i’m Getting seriously nervous what this means
Is it for the hair or the sims bc damn no one gives constructive critism in this community and once in a while I feel like I need it to improve my content

I build small houses *^*
Field Researcher
#6757 Old 19th Sep 2018 at 10:16 PM
Reading this thread: https://forums.thesims.com/en_uS/di...soft-for-you/p6

I found this:
Quote:
Do you remember when Maxis was torturing a sim ?

Will Wright's Maxis was more cruel than The Sims Studio.

That was not really under Will Wright - he basically did just Sims 1 and that was Nervous Subject from Sims 2 being taunted/ experimented on in StangeTown. By then Will Wright was working on Sims Online - I tested that game too for him - and he said he was mainly the person the Sims team came to when they had questions and such. He was mainly their sounding board. But he did not want to really do a Sequel - he said it terrified him. LOL. He never explained why - but his team did make that - the same people he worked on Sims 1 with of course. Sims 2 is also where Sims Guru Grant started as well.

I heard he did approve of testing Nervous Subject though - lol. He said who wouldn't - his mother was a possible crazy killer and his father was The Grim Reaper - Lol.

You have to keep in mind - you did not have to play that way or even that household unless you wanted to - so it was not as if experimenting on Sims was a main point of the game. It was just something in that town.

https://forums.thesims.com/en_uS/di...omment_16658594

Wait what?
Here it is written that Will Wright did not want to make a sequel:
Quote:
But he did not want to really do a Sequel - he said it terrified him.

I suprised after reading this. What do you think about it?
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#6758 Old 19th Sep 2018 at 10:20 PM
I think I get that Will Wright wanted to do something else.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Field Researcher
#6759 Old 20th Sep 2018 at 9:28 PM Last edited by Liza : 20th Sep 2018 at 9:44 PM.
It reminds me of a history of Roller Coaster Tycoon series. Chris Sawyer created RCT1 and 2, but addons to the second part were created by Frontier Development. Chris said in one interview that he wanted to transfer work on the series to those who wanted to work on it. He passed it on to developers from Frontier Development. They also created RCT3. There, in credits indicate that Chris Sawyer was a consultant during the development of this game.

Interview:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...rcoaster-tycoon

Mad Poster
#6760 Old 21st Sep 2018 at 11:35 PM
I don't have any idea where I got it, but in a folder I found a PDF of a book called "Players Unleashed! Modding The Sims and the Culture of Gaming." It's very academic and I can't make any sense of it really.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Top Secret Researcher
#6761 Old 22nd Sep 2018 at 12:03 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Bulbizarre
I don't have any idea where I got it, but in a folder I found a PDF of a book called "Players Unleashed! Modding The Sims and the Culture of Gaming." It's very academic and I can't make any sense of it really.

The title sounds like they just smashed together a bunch of vaguely relevant terms and phrases.

I've got one or two things on MTS, but most of my stuff is on my main site here:
http://simcessories.blogspot.com/
(Now recruiting budding creators.)
Top Secret Researcher
#6762 Old 22nd Sep 2018 at 1:37 AM

http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdo...p=rep1&type=pdf

I am reading it now, I don't know if I can make sense of it or not, it is very academic as it is someone's Thesis I think. Conclusions to follow once I have finished it.

for info on changing the Mac Open File Limit check out my post here http://www.insimenator.org/index.ph...html#msg1628939
Curiosity killed the cat,
but satisfaction brought it back.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#6763 Old 22nd Sep 2018 at 2:26 AM

Didn't we discuss that a few months back? I know I read a paper where someone had studied the social interactions on the site (thought it was a bit shallow myself so maybe that's not it).

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
Top Secret Researcher
#6764 Old 22nd Sep 2018 at 6:24 AM
Quote: Originally posted by maxon
Didn't we discuss that a few months back? I know I read a paper where someone had studied the social interactions on the site (thought it was a bit shallow myself so maybe that's not it).

I am pretty sure that what she mentioned is different.

This one is better, however to sumarize she took 299 pges to basically say "What makes The Sims a particularly interesting case in this respect is the fact that many of its players and modders are female." The subject of the paper was mostly The Sims and not The Sims 2, though The Sims 2 was mentioned a little. I thought she might have wrote more about the Modding Community and I was hoping that she would have done so.

<personal sort of rant> I am certainly well aware that a lot of the Sims players and Modders {Content Creators} are female, and I also know that some people characterize The Sims as a girls' game. I don't care I love The Sims and The Sims 2 and I Don't Like First Person Shooters {the most popular game type for males}. I guess that a lot of Males that are not Sims players might care, I certainly don't </end rant>

Anyway I don't think that the author ranted particularly, I don't want anyone to get that impression. I read the whole quickly as I am a very fast reader and it was interesting for the most part, it had a lot of history of computer games.

She was rather academic as I think it was a Thesis or something. Sort of Sociological Writing I would say, I took a few classes in Sociology at College, I understood it pretty well.

for info on changing the Mac Open File Limit check out my post here http://www.insimenator.org/index.ph...html#msg1628939
Mad Poster
#6765 Old 22nd Sep 2018 at 6:42 AM
Quote: Originally posted by lordtyger9
<personal sort of rant> I am certainly well aware that a lot of the Sims players and Modders {Content Creators} are female, and I also know that some people characterize The Sims as a girls' game. I don't care I love The Sims and The Sims 2 and I Don't Like First Person Shooters {the most popular game type for males}. I guess that a lot of Males that are not Sims players might care, I certainly don't </end rant>

Opposing rant. Girls play all sort of games, you know. We don't just play the Sims. A lot of people in other games would be female as well, but you just don't know it.
Top Secret Researcher
#6766 Old 22nd Sep 2018 at 8:04 AM Last edited by lordtyger9 : 22nd Sep 2018 at 9:20 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by Charity
Opposing rant. Girls play all sort of games, you know. We don't just play the Sims. A lot of people in other games would be female as well, but you just don't know it.

I would not know that as I don't really play any other computer games except for Sims and the only game I ever talk about is Sims 2. On the PS2 I have played a few games other than Sims, but mostly Sims on that too. So I don't know anything about the proportion of males vs females in games other that the First Person Shooters are popular with males.

e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#6767 Old 22nd Sep 2018 at 10:02 AM
http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdo...p=rep1&type=pdf

I am reading it now, I don't know if I can make sense of it or not, it is very academic as it is someone's Thesis I think. Conclusions to follow once I have finished it.

Ooh- interesting!

This is the one I mentioned a while back:
http://www.modthesims.info/showthre...943#post5273943
Top Secret Researcher
#6768 Old 22nd Sep 2018 at 11:31 AM
Ooh- interesting!

This is the one I mentioned a while back:
http://www.modthesims.info/showthre...943#post5273943

I am pretty sure that I did read as well. I like to read most anything. The one I just read about Modding and The Sims is better I think. Longer for sure. LOL.

The author of the Modding and Sims paper actually played The Sims and does know something about what she writes about. I spent about 5 hours reading the paper and i did enjoy it, I just wanted there to be more about the people that created content for the Sims, but there was nothing specific. If not about the specific people, some more detail about the Modding Community in general would have been nice. Anyway, I do recommend it if one likes something academic and sort of about Sociology.

e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#6769 Old 22nd Sep 2018 at 11:36 AM
Yes, the one I linked is only really of interest because it features the people of this website. :o

Reading the one you linked now!
Top Secret Researcher
#6770 Old 22nd Sep 2018 at 11:46 AM
Yes, the one I linked is only really of interest because it features the people of this website. :o

Reading the one you linked now!

Ahh well I like the regulars who post on MTS and I didn't know anyone from before Feb 2013 as that is when I first joined MTS. I don't think I posted much at first, but I can't recall lol.

Let us know what you think of the paper when you have finished it.

The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#6771 Old 22nd Sep 2018 at 7:34 PM
I am pretty sure that what she mentioned is different.

This one is better, however to sumarize she took 299 pges to basically say "What makes The Sims a particularly interesting case in this respect is the fact that many of its players and modders are female." The subject of the paper was mostly The Sims and not The Sims 2, though The Sims 2 was mentioned a little. I thought she might have wrote more about the Modding Community and I was hoping that she would have done so.

Ah no - not the same one then. I read enough academic papers as it is - I would undoubtedly not read 299 pages just for fun.

Yeah, there are, and have always been, plenty of male players. I would guess what's unusual about the community is it is one in which female players can be present easily without blow back or harassment. I chose my gamer name (<=====) because it was gender neutral. I've always played a lot of other games - even multiplayer in some cases. There was a time when my presence online, if it became apparent I was female, attracted all sorts of unwarranted attention. Mass Effect, in my experience, and probably Dragon Age communities were more mature too I have to say.

She was rather academic as I think it was a Thesis or something. Sort of Sociological Writing I would say, I took a few classes in Sociology at College, I understood it pretty well.
At 299 pages, I'd guess it was a thesis.

Instructor
#6772 Old 22nd Sep 2018 at 8:19 PM
I've been having urges to build more homes from floor plans, but I need to get a move on my Beginning Pleasantview hood.

There's no drama, like Sims drama.

Currently Playing: Sims 2 again!

Top Secret Researcher
#6773 Old 23rd Sep 2018 at 9:17 AM
Quote: Originally posted by maxon
Ah no - not the same one then. I read enough academic papers as it is - I would undoubtedly not read 299 pages just for fun.

Yeah, there are, and have always been, plenty of male players. I would guess what's unusual about the community is it is one in which female players can be present easily without blow back or harassment. I chose my gamer name (<=====) because it was gender neutral. I've always played a lot of other games - even multiplayer in some cases. There was a time when my presence online, if it became apparent I was female, attracted all sorts of unwarranted attention. Mass Effect, in my experience, and probably Dragon Age communities were more mature too I have to say.

At 299 pages, I'd guess it was a thesis.

I didn't know that you were female at first, but then again unless someone uses a female sort of Avatar or female sort of name I don't make any assumptions as to their gender. I don't think it matters, it does not matter to me and it should not to others.

I did actually read the 299 pages for fun, I guess I am a bit strange.

If I am not mistaken the ratio is some where around 45% male to 55% female, but if someone were to say that it is the opposite I would not argue. As far as I know the ratio of males to females is a lot more unbalanced in most of the other Popular games. The only game I play online is Vampires: The Darkside on Facebook and I have a female name for the Vampire, just because I had it when I started with Vampire Wars, mostly I am a very solitary sort of gamer, except for The Sims 2, and I don't read any of the gaming magazines. Unlike the other male gamers that I know of {that are not Simmers}, I don't play sports games and I don't play First Person Shooters. I do play RPGs, some Aventure games, wrestling, Mafia games, and Sim games on my PS2 & PS3, not very much of a gamer I guess. You are more of a gamer than I am most likely maxon.

Mad Poster
#6774 Old 23rd Sep 2018 at 7:58 PM
I gave up reading the thing when it started talking about identity. That sort of thing is just too far over my head.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Mad Poster
#6775 Old 23rd Sep 2018 at 10:01 PM
it's interesting looking at a lot of my old projects now that I can finally see them again (as opposed to just remembering them, with all the necessary inaccuracies associated with memory)... some of them my memory was pretty much accurate, but most of them I either like much more or much less than I did a year ago. I'm particularly pleased with a neighborhood map that I'd drawn from one of the scenarios in SimCity3000, and particularly displeased with a fairytale castle I'd started on...

Welcome to the Dark Side...
We lied about having cookies.
Page 271 of 511