Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 20th Jan 2011 at 8:08 PM
Default Dress failure
I tried editing these to make them not do that, but...yeah. Fail. Any ideas? I checked the UV map and fixed that, I fixed the textures, I checked the mesh and fixed that...I'm at a loss here. Any suggestions?
Screenshots
Advertisement
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#2 Old 20th Jan 2011 at 8:23 PM
What does it look like ingame, when the sim stands straight instead of leaning over to one side like they do in CAS?

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 20th Jan 2011 at 8:31 PM
The same.

Edit: It's not so bad when she walks. (See last two pics.)

Edit 2: Okay last last two pics, she's standing and talking to her brother. It still looks bad. :\
Screenshots
Blenderized to Pieces
retired moderator
#4 Old 20th Jan 2011 at 10:03 PM
Can you show us a pic of the uv map and also the texture?
Sockpuppet
#5 Old 20th Jan 2011 at 10:21 PM
This is caused by the boneassignements and altho this one is a bit worse the basegame skirts have similar issues.

You might can make it a little better by adjusting the skirt coordinates on the UVmap by moving them more to the centre.(front) and moving them more outside(back)
Could be the otherway arround tho.....

To make a skirt animate properly it has boneassignements from the oposite leg(check a basegame skirt) and it seems your skirt(each halve) is assigned just to one thigh joint wich does pull away the vertices from the centre.
so you first have to check if its assigned properly, then check ingame and make some screenshots, later you can finetune it on the uvmap.

Hope this makes sence :P
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#6 Old 21st Jan 2011 at 11:31 AM
I know a little about bone assignments...I did them when making some hair (which I totally failed at btw). Um, I can try to reassign and then see how it looks.
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#7 Old 21st Jan 2011 at 12:12 PM
You could also post a pic of the bone assignments in Milkshape maybe, to see if anyone can suggest improvements.

Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#8 Old 21st Jan 2011 at 12:33 PM Last edited by claudiasharon : 21st Jan 2011 at 1:02 PM.
Quote:
post a pic of the bone assignments in Milkshape

How would I do that?
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#9 Old 21st Jan 2011 at 1:14 PM
Ticky the "Draw vertices with bone colours" box in the Joints tab, then take a screenshot. Or, if you use another meshing program, use that - either way.

Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#10 Old 21st Jan 2011 at 1:39 PM Last edited by claudiasharon : 21st Jan 2011 at 1:52 PM.
Wow...that puts a new perspective on my outfit. *points at pic*

Second pic is me trying to fix it but failing.
Screenshots
Sockpuppet
#11 Old 21st Jan 2011 at 2:47 PM
Import the cfBodyDressHoodLongSleeve to compare the boneassignements.
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#12 Old 21st Jan 2011 at 3:10 PM
I don't get it, I imported that file and it just bleeds through the original dress (see pic). How do I use it to compare the bone assignments? It doesn't show me anything under joints...(using PSP).
Screenshots
Sockpuppet
#13 Old 21st Jan 2011 at 3:37 PM
You go to side view and select halve of both dresses(vertices or faces) then hide that selection.
Go to front view and select one vertice of the reference dress and one of yours(choose pairs that lay close together)

Use Wes H his unimesh bonetool to compare the boneassignements(its part of his sims2 unimeshplugin, found here on MTS2)
After installing the plugin in your Milkshape directory you will find the tool under the vertex menu

If you put the reference mesh first in the groupstab then the bonesettings of that mesh will be first listed when opening the bonetool.
You then simply choose ''assigne to all'' then ''commit all''
Then go to the next pair of verts close together, and so on.

When done with one halve you unhide everything and repeat the same steps for the other halve

Oh, best done without the show boneweights ticked.
When done you can hide the reference mesh and see the results with show boneweights ticked.
Mother Function
retired moderator
#14 Old 21st Jan 2011 at 4:03 PM
Or you can open up two instances (windows) of Milkshape and compare them side by side. I find this easier, IMO, especially since sometimes Milkshape gets pissy about showing bone assignments on multi group meshes and wants to close.

"Holy Shift! Check out the asymptotes on that mother function!"
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#15 Old 21st Jan 2011 at 8:20 PM
What does it mean when it crashes on you when you have two instances of Milkshape open? I can do the bone thing on the cfBodyDressHoodLongSleeve one, but when I try to do it on mine it crashes. :\ I even tried to delete the other body shapes and just do the base one, but it still crashes.

It crashed on me when I tried to have cfBodyDressHoodLongSleeve and my mesh in there at the same time too.

I've done the bone thing before and it's worked, so I don't know why it's crashing now.
Mother Function
retired moderator
#16 Old 21st Jan 2011 at 8:56 PM
I don't know why but Milkshape crashes on me randomly, too, when I try to view bone assignments using the built in Milkshape joint editor. So, what I do is to have two instances (separate windows) of Milkshape open, one with the modified mesh and one with the EA comparison mesh. And, I use the unimesh boon tool to see the bone assignments, instead.

"Holy Shift! Check out the asymptotes on that mother function!"
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#17 Old 21st Jan 2011 at 8:53 PM
That's what I did and it still crashed on me.
Sockpuppet
#18 Old 21st Jan 2011 at 9:09 PM
Quote: Originally posted by claudiasharon
That's what I did and it still crashed on me.

The tool always crash when you have imported 2 skeletons by accident, check the joint tab and look for duplicate joints.
If it has duplicate joints then start new and import a basegame child mesh first, then your custom mesh.

The bonetool also crashes on some windows 7 64 bit systems, no idea why....
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#19 Old 21st Jan 2011 at 9:10 PM Last edited by claudiasharon : 21st Jan 2011 at 9:54 PM.
Ah I have windows 7...maybe it hates that. Though it's worked on it before, so I dunno.

Edit: This is one of the earlier incarnations of the dress...I wasn't too sure about it so I changed it to what's in the original post. But the problems listed aren't as bad in it...I think. The neck has issues that need to be fixed, that I ended up fixing in other versions that came later. But I could fix those again if needed. Anyways, does this look better than the originally posted dress does? I'm just wondering if I did something later to fubar the dress because I think it looks different in these screencaps than it does in the original post. But that could just be the extreme color difference.

The last two pictures is how it looks now.
Screenshots
Sockpuppet
#20 Old 22nd Jan 2011 at 12:28 AM
It looks good to me
The textures in the middle always get stretched out on some animations, EA clothing has this also.
The vertices arround the center need to be partly assigned to the thigh to make the dress animate correctly but this does pull them away from the middle.(Front) while it squeezes them at the back.
On some EA outfits they fixed this by moving the vertice coordinates on the uvmap, its a matter of moving them and look at the outfit ingame.

If you want to try to move the UVcoordinates on the outfit in Milkshape it should look like the opisite of wat you see now in the screenshots, the front squeezed and the back pulled to the sides.
With a bit of luck the stripes then are straight ingame.
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#21 Old 22nd Jan 2011 at 3:49 AM
I think the uvmap already looks like that...:\ *see picture*

Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#22 Old 22nd Jan 2011 at 4:08 AM
More dress pics. This is how she looks walking...it looks basically fine to me. There might be a little in the front there, if you look closely enough. *shrugs*
Screenshots
Sockpuppet
#23 Old 22nd Jan 2011 at 4:51 PM
Looks good
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#24 Old 22nd Jan 2011 at 6:04 PM
Quote: Originally posted by BloomsBase
Looks good

Thanks! Thanks to everyone for their input, hopefully I can get it uploaded too.
Sockpuppet
#25 Old 22nd Jan 2011 at 6:20 PM
I am sure you will
Did you check the fatstate?
Page 1 of 2