Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 1st Feb 2011 at 4:12 PM
Default how make texture in hairs
I make my hair but i dont know how make texture.
i see the uvmap vut i dont undestand
this is the uvmap:

and this is my mesh:

i need help please i use 3ds max 9 and NURBS plane
thanks
Advertisement
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#2 Old 1st Feb 2011 at 4:22 PM
The way you're making hairs is, well, pretty wrong for TS3. Don't use NURBS and don't make all those tiny little strands. That can be done with -texturing- on one larger chunk of a plane and should not be done with the mesh shape itself. You also need to be mapping each piece as you create it - what you have now is a hopelessly unusable mesh, and it's going to be damn near impossible to untangle your UV map - and even then you'll have such a high poly hair that it -shouldn't- be used.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 1st Feb 2011 at 4:26 PM
so...
i no can use this mesh?
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#4 Old 1st Feb 2011 at 7:16 PM
No, not really. It's really best to map each part as you create it, before you start deforming it - you get a much better result that way. Right now what you have is a tangled mess, and it would probably take longer to sort out that garbled map than to just recreate the hair. Plus if you've been using NURBS and making each little strand like that, you're going to have created an insanely high-poly hair.

NURBS (or MeshSmooth) -can- be used to make hair but you have to intentionally make a VERY low poly hair to start with - IMO, it's easier to just make exactly the polys you need in the first place (you need a good plan!) than to subdivide later. After all, if you're in 3DS Max it's very easy to just cut a new row of edges just where you need it once you discover you need extra detail in there. Use only the detail you need and no more.

Take a look at the way EA has done their hairs. Open up existing hairs by EA and look at the way the mesh is laid out, and the way the mapping interacts with the textures. Get an idea of how they do it, what their poly counts are, and try to do similar things with your meshing. They don't mesh in every tiny little strand as that is a very wasteful way of using polygons, and instead make the appearance of strands with the way they do the texturing.