Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 24th Feb 2005 at 12:43 PM Last edited by daysies : 24th Feb 2005 at 1:54 PM. Reason: edited title - daysies
Default How to Make a Custom CAS scene
Hi guys :howdy:

I want to customize the look of my CAS in game.... i have seen this done but i dont konw how?... i have searched aswell and wasnt sure where to post this either.... if anyone knows a good tutorial please let me know.... and sorry if this is in the wrong place..........
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 24th Feb 2005 at 12:56 PM Last edited by IgnorantBliss : 25th Jun 2006 at 6:46 AM.
Here is a description of how to modify your CAS screen.
(I found this on a Sims2 site some time ago, but don't remember the author)
Quote:
Changing the CAS background

I have figured out how to change the Create-a-sim backgrounds!! This requires a lot of directory searching so brace yourself. (Note: I did this on a PC, Windows XP)

--->Part 1: In the Sims 2 game:
1. Make a new neighborhood. Name it what ever you want but just do it. This is to make sure there are no other lots.
2. Exit the game.

--->Part 2: Outside the game:
3. Find your Sims 2 folder NOT in my documents, but where you said to download it (normally C:\Program Files\Maxis\The Sims 2 or something like that).
4. go to the \TSData\Res\GlobalLots floder.
5. The only file in there is a file named "CAS!.package" (no quotes). COPY this file.
6. Go to the Sims 2 folder under My Documents. Go to "LotCatalouge" folder and paste it there.
7. Rename the just pasted "CAS!.package" file to match the series in the folder already (as in if the files are named "cx_00000001" to "cx_00000012", name it "cx_00000013").
8. start the game back up.

--->Part 3: In-game editing:
9. Now go to your brand new neighborhood.
10. in the 'hood, go to your pre-built house bin and go to the end. at the end you'll find the CAS house. you can't miss it, it looks completly diffrent from the others and its named some random letters "jfhgi". place it anywhere in your empty neighborhood and click on it to build it.
11. Now edit how ever!-- with a few conditions: you cannot get rid of any of the decorations in the house already. The mirror and podium where the sim is made as well as all the pictures and the couch are all one object that you probibly should't delete. and the camera set up is also all one object. You can, however, change the house's look and put objects in and around the house.
DO NOT move the CAS camera set up's or the CAS Podeum's position unless you can change the camera position in \My Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2\Cameras\CASCamera.txt (all 11 of them).
12. When your done, Save and close the Sims 2.

--->Part 4: Applying your house:
13. Go to \My Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2\Neighborhoods, the last neighborhood folder(N00#) and "Lots"
14. the only lot that should be in there is the edited CAS lot. COPY it.
15. go back to the global lots folder where you found the CAS lot. cange the existing "CAS!.package" file to a bogus name like "original_cas.package"
16. PASTE the lot file you copied from the neighborhood. Rename it "CAS!.package".
17. Finished! Now you should be able to make sims in your newly modified CAS house!!

I have used this method with good results, and have made numerous custom CAS screens.
TIP: As the objects in the podium room are all one entity, you can use the "MoveObjects" and the "SnapObjecttoGrid" cheats to move the wall pictures/portraits slightly to the back and the right to hide them behind the walls.

Hope this helps
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 24th Feb 2005 at 1:24 PM
Thanks so much... i hope this post helps others too.... looks tricky... but gonna do it now :D
The Quiet One
retired moderator
#4 Old 24th Feb 2005 at 1:53 PM
Great info, Ka5fun! Gonna move this to Tutorials so it won't get lost amongst all the other problems.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 24th Feb 2005 at 2:28 PM
Ok well i'm having some problems naming the first file as it doesnt seem to be working?.....

All files in my lots cat are thee first one being :

cx_Character_cx_00000002_0eabc803.package

and last one being:

cx_Character_cx_00000002_ceac1b5a.package

so far i have tried nameing the file a few different things and loading but the lots bin is always empty.....

cx_Character_cx_00000003????? do i put _.package after or what?
I will keep trying prob something really simple like myself
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#6 Old 24th Feb 2005 at 4:16 PM
Durrr... well i managed to do it and i know what the problem was so i thought i'd come back and say just incase anyone else has probs that is as simple as me...

My lots bin was empty so i put in a home any home and then went back to lotscat and noticed the new home was named: cx_00000001.package no cx_Character_ before it.... i changed my 03 to this and it works.... :D
#7 Old 28th Feb 2005 at 7:48 PM
Try mike insides tutorals.They are the best.
#8 Old 6th Mar 2005 at 3:55 AM
ah thanks for the turtorial i've been wondering how people were making these...
Test Subject
#9 Old 8th Mar 2005 at 2:17 AM
Quote:
Origanally posted by: ka5fun
Here is a description of how to modify your CAS screen.
(I found this on a Sims2 site some time ago, but don't remember the author)

Hi, By the way, I'm the one who posted that there origanally. :howdy: When I didn't get much feedback, I went and posted on thesimsresource.com (that's before I found this great place). You can check if you want, by username's the same throughout.
Field Researcher
#10 Old 13th Mar 2005 at 11:12 AM
Btw, something I found with these yesterday, it appears that in order to use a custom CaS with university you need to put a copy of the same customised CaS in both your original Sims2 & the University global lots folder or it will crash to desktop trying to go to create a family.

www.parsimonious.org
Artists - Get your own Studio! Always be featured!
Field Researcher
#11 Old 19th Mar 2005 at 4:00 AM Last edited by JessicaRitchie : 19th Mar 2005 at 4:52 AM.
Kate :howdy: Could you tell me where in the Sims2 you put the file, just in the main folder? I tryed just putting it in the University global lots folder and it did crash. Thank you.

edited to say "I got it working!!" thank you

Jessica

"The artist is nothing without the gift, but the gift is nothing without the work"
Sophisticated Sims
Featured Artist at Spiffy Sims
Test Subject
#12 Old 20th Mar 2005 at 4:24 AM
will it work with university?
Test Subject
#13 Old 20th Mar 2005 at 8:47 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Pistachio
Btw, something I found with these yesterday, it appears that in order to use a custom CaS with university you need to put a copy of the same customised CaS in both your original Sims2 & the University global lots folder or it will crash to desktop trying to go to create a family.

I had been wondering about this. I found out the hard way with changing the game to windowed mode that you needed to do this with both TS2 and university, but I was reluctant to try because the game kept crashing. Now that someone else finds that it works, I think I'll try again.
Lab Assistant
#14 Old 28th Mar 2005 at 12:38 PM
This is a good tutorial and I've released a number of them here on this site under objects if u want to see come to it and a new release had just been out with a YACAS screen
Lab Assistant
#15 Old 29th Mar 2005 at 10:44 PM
hmm...i do all that but somehow, my technical abilities fail me(like usual lol) so can someone help me....i get as far as putting it in the The Sims2/LotCatalog as cx_000000013.package then i open my game and i dont see the lot.........anyone?

I also have Uni....if that helps.
Test Subject
#16 Old 29th Mar 2005 at 11:39 PM
I tried to do that and I went to my lots houses bin and never saw my wierd house that i was supposed to see in the 3rd part. Can someone help??
Field Researcher
#17 Old 29th Mar 2005 at 11:55 PM
This might be why...The first time I tryed it I numbered it cx_00000013 (make sure you only have 6 0's simsroc I think you have too many 0's) and found the lot but the game renumbered the lot when I went back in to find it. If your lot numbers are like 01, 02, 03, 06, 07 etc the game will rename it 04...the next number in the beginning of the sequence. In your game it shows it as a whole bunch of letters example xykbrsyr

Jessica

"The artist is nothing without the gift, but the gift is nothing without the work"
Sophisticated Sims
Featured Artist at Spiffy Sims
Lab Assistant
#18 Old 30th Mar 2005 at 12:01 AM
hmmm would yo umind showing sume pics...like how i can configure it? thats the only way i learn...yes stupid...
Test Subject
#19 Old 31st Mar 2005 at 8:32 PM
Incidentally, if you don't like replacing stuff in your main Sims 2 folder (a good philosophy to have), you can put your finished "CAS!.package" in your Downloads folder instead.

I recommend this if more than one person plays on your PC (i.e., different Windows user accounts). Now I can use custom content (such as downloaded objects/papers/whatever...perhaps custom "still life" paintings?) in a custom CAS scene without the risk of crashing my wife's game just because she lacks the custom content.
Test Subject
#20 Old 31st Mar 2005 at 11:43 PM
umm when i did it the house wasnt in the bin..
Test Subject
#21 Old 1st Apr 2005 at 2:17 AM
i got it i got it!!! i made a really cute one i'll post it on another board
Test Subject
#22 Old 3rd Apr 2005 at 4:43 AM
arg its still not showing up in the bin for me.. I followed the instructions right.. what could I be doing wrong?
Lab Assistant
#23 Old 15th Apr 2005 at 1:03 AM
Thanks Ka5fun! :D
#24 Old 18th Apr 2005 at 1:37 AM
When I tried to do it I could not find the TSData folder. Can someone help?
Instructor
#25 Old 18th Apr 2005 at 2:15 AM
My Conputer/C:/Program Files/EA Games/The Sims 2/TSData.

"S"
V^^^^V
Locked thread | Locked by: HystericalParoxysm Reason: Ancient thread - please see tutorial.
Page 1 of 8