Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 23rd Mar 2015 at 3:29 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time
Default Mansion & Garden Stuff - will this help "skip" AL and does a CD version still exist?
I noticed a lot of lots now require AL and even with the Clean Installer, they just won't load. I wondered if I got the newer stuff pack Mansions & Garden, would that allow me to sort of "skip" having AL and be able to load houses that require it or am I fooling myself? Also, I have been everywhere and can't find a CD version of the M&G stuff pack. All I can find online or in stores is the DVD version, which I can't use. Does anyone know where I could get one? Thanks!
Advertisement
Undead Molten Llama
#2 Old 23rd Mar 2015 at 4:30 AM
I don't think M&G was ever released on CD. I'm pretty sure all of the later EPs/SPs were only released on DVDs. I could be wrong, though. If I'm right and you can't use a DVD, I'd say your only options at this point are A) Begging EA to give you the UC, which is a digital install, no discs...although it sounds like you don't want all EPs/SPs or B) Off to the torrents with ye. Or, I suppose, C) You could install a DVD drive in your computer. They're pretty cheap. And then you'd need to buy a second-hand copy of M&G.

As for it allowing you to "skip" AL...Not really. It will give you the latest game engine, so lots built with AL MIGHT work in a game with M&G but no AL...but they also might crash your game. Also, I ran the game with M&G but no AL for a bit, and some of the M&G functions don't work well without AL. They really are meant to work together, probably because the items in M&G were originally supposed to be included with AL, but EA eventually decided to split them out. And then obviously they didn't do a lot of testing to make sure that everything would work properly if someone had M&G but not AL. So, if you can get M&G installed by whatever means...I'd say you could give it a try and see what happens, but I have a feeling it won't work as well as you'd hope.

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Muh Simblr! | An index of my downloads on Tumblr.
Theorist
#3 Old 23rd Mar 2015 at 5:00 AM
Technically, AL was the last official EP released and M&G is supposed to be a stuffit pack . However, for some reason EA, who we all know is not right in the head, made M&G act as an EP for some things. As I have both AL and M&G I can't say for sure if lots would work w/o AL if they said it's needed.

I would keep an eye on ebay or at thrift shops and you should be able to get a reasonably priced game.
Field Researcher
#4 Old 23rd Mar 2015 at 12:32 PM
I got my version of MG for 8 dollars online, if you want a second hand version.
Mad Poster
#5 Old 23rd Mar 2015 at 2:59 PM
You need to look around to find it but it did come on disk and it 2 ways, stand alone and with Fun with Pets.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/251783...?lpid=82&chn=ps

Check you local Goodwill Shops or shop like this and you may find a copy that is cheaper.

There are some things that M&G try to use from AL and if you don't have AL you will have sims get stuck trying to do them.

All my Beginning Hoods here at MTS. http://www.modthesims.info/member.php?u=7749491
All my Beginning Hoods as Shopping Districts plus Old Town. http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=523417
MooVille, a tribute to Mootilda and her fabulous lots http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=534158
Mad Poster
#6 Old 23rd Mar 2015 at 3:09 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 23rd Mar 2015 at 3:21 PM.
I've got M&G as a disc version, so it was released - in several languages, too. They probably didn't make a very large batch, though. M&G seems to be the most difficult one to get your hands on through second-hand shops and other sources. Mine is a DVD-rom version, and so were a lot of the more recent ones, too. I don't think they released CD versions of the latest EPs.

The best thing is to have both AL and M&G. That way you can be sure that mods and items will work properly.

You can try to get the Ultimate Collection. Apparently, as long as you've got one of the games as CD or Origin version you can contact EA and pester them until they give it to you. Personally, I was quick enough to get it when they offered it for free, to use as a backup. That's the only thing I've used Orgin for, and so it shall be...

As for lots built with AL and not working without AL, that's a common problem, with the different game engines and all. If the creator has AL or M&G, the downloader needs one or both, even if no objects from either of them were used on the lot. Preferably AL over M&G, since M&G is a wannabe-EP, working like one without having all the functions of one. Still, M&G is needed to start up the game.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 24th Mar 2015 at 2:15 AM
Thanks, everybody! I think I will just focus on learning to build better lots myself instead of bemoaning ones that don't work b/c I don't have AL. Thank you for all your input!