Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
#51 Old 19th Aug 2006 at 4:53 AM
Quote: Originally posted by vkbrown
Thanks! I did try that again and again. It's still not working. It seems my game didn't accept that.

Try posting a pic here of where you actually were placing the floor tile on the opposite lot!

fev

On mules we find two legs behind
and two we find before.
We stand behind before we find
what those behind be for.
Advertisement
Test Subject
#52 Old 21st Aug 2006 at 9:13 PM
If we make a sideways garage, will we ever be able to make a verticle (normal) garage again?
Instructor
#53 Old 22nd Aug 2006 at 1:09 AM
To make a vertical garage again, just go to the neighborhood view and move the lot around a bit. That will reset it to a normal driveway and garage door. I have do that a lot since I use sideways garages in my lot uploads all the time(it makes it easier to hide the huge thing)and every once in a while I decide I need to have another one or have to move it.

Please do not upload any of my lots to the exchange, or any other site.
If you would like to see more of my lots click here.
Field Researcher
#54 Old 22nd Aug 2006 at 3:53 AM
Quote: Originally posted by SuperSim123
If we make a sideways garage, will we ever be able to make a verticle (normal) garage again?

Yes...do what general ooh mentioned.....but if you just mean, 'will you be able to make a normal garage/driveway again' anywhere else...the answer is YES

fev

and two we find before.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#55 Old 22nd Aug 2006 at 8:58 PM Last edited by eedgan : 22nd Aug 2006 at 9:45 PM. Reason: Added image
In addition, you can create a lot with two garages, one sideways and one normal...

I've never been married, but I tell people I'm divorced so they won't think something is wrong with me.
- Anonymous

Sideways Garage Tutorial
Field Researcher
#56 Old 23rd Aug 2006 at 3:02 AM
eedgan....never thought of doing that....what a good idea....especially would be good with the lot expander idea!!!!!

fev

and two we find before.
Instructor
#57 Old 25th Aug 2006 at 2:36 AM Last edited by General Oohoh : 25th Aug 2006 at 2:50 AM.
actually I've done that before! in a couple of my lots! it's great, and just in case you wondering the sideways garage doesn't interfere with the animations of the regular one. they come from the other garage normally, I've tested it.

P.S. Just in case no one ever mentioned this, the garage door does not randomly face anywhere, it has to do with whether or not you're facing the sun. I you are it will go to the left, if not to the right. However it is somtimes reverse depending on the neighborhood you use.

Please do not upload any of my lots to the exchange, or any other site.
If you would like to see more of my lots click here.
Field Researcher
#58 Old 25th Aug 2006 at 6:18 AM
Quote: Originally posted by General Oohoh
actually I've done that before! in a couple of my lots! it's great, and just in case you wondering the sideways garage doesn't interfere with the animations of the regular one. they come from the other garage normally, I've tested it.

P.S. Just in case no one ever mentioned this, the garage door does not randomly face anywhere, it has to do with whether or not you're facing the sun. I you are it will go to the left, if not to the right. However it is somtimes reverse depending on the neighborhood you use.

Yes...as this link describes!!!

http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=97102

fev

and two we find before.
Test Subject
#59 Old 27th Aug 2006 at 11:15 PM Last edited by fleshapple : 27th Aug 2006 at 11:28 PM.
Overall Fix Sideways Driveways?
Ladies and Gentlemen,

I think I may have stumbled on a solution to the problem of having sideways driveways:
a. never face the direction you need them to
b. appear randomly assorted by things like "direction relative to the sun", except in some neighborhoods on sundays, holidays and some days in may.

As another commenter noted, the "across the street corner tile" solution works fairly consistently with corner lots.

This was followed by the obvious (I'm a touch slow) logical leap: ALL LOTS ARE CORNER LOTS. Meaning, every lot you place can be either a straight lot, or a coner lot depending on where it intersects the sidewalk and streets.

Using that hypothesis, therefore, I discovered a simple solution:

IF your sideways garage is not facing the proper way on a non-corner lot, simply use "moveobjects on" and run a path of sidewalk within one tile of the edge of the lot, perpendicular to the sidewalk already present on the lot. In other words, make it look as though your lot were on a corner.
**TRANSLATION: RUN A SIDEWALK at a 90 degree angle TO THE BACK EDGE OF THE LOT.**

When you do this, pertinent espcially to the last tile, furthest from the street at the edge of the lot, suddenly your driveways rotate 90 degrees. The lot across the street need not be messed with. Indeed, on the lot I discovered this with, manipulating the corner tile across the street did nothing.

When you're finished, delete the new perpendcular line and the rotation of any new driveways you place will return to normal. Hypothetically, this should also hold true for any lots you may place across the street, wherein you wish the opposite.

Sorry this is wordy, but I hope you all get the idea. I've not yet tested the outcomes with garage doors, or how this may be effected if you use one side of the lot as the "corner" as opposed to the other. If anyone finds situations where this fix doesn't work, let me know and I'll try and play with it some more. And, most importantly, if someone DID already come up with all this, and I missed it in the posts, I'm horribly sorry. I did look, but I'm occasionally unobservant.

~fleshapple

"IF you cannot love me, teach me. In my language, they are the same with only a difference of inflection." -Diane Ackerman
Field Researcher
#60 Old 28th Aug 2006 at 5:04 AM
fleshapple......What a great idea!
Maybe you could do up a tutorial with pics on this, & post it!
Seems that the direction of the sun and the shadows theory only seems to work for some people, & changing the script file works for others.
I know from experience that by replacing the tile in the oposite lot DOESNT always work!
Having to go out to neighbourhood view....rotate the view....place a lot....go in & try the sideways garage!
I would have to say though, that about 90% of the time I CAN place a driveway sideways with the replace tile in oposite lot method!
But for those times that you cant be bothered to 'fiddle', your solution would be great

fev

and two we find before.
Test Subject
#61 Old 3rd Sep 2006 at 8:07 PM Last edited by KatrinaBrinckman : 3rd Sep 2006 at 8:15 PM. Reason: adding to the text
My solution to this problem was to create a neighborhood just for building houses. I figure out which corner lot I need to put the lot on to get the garage facing the correct way. I can then I can delete sidewalk tile and I don't have to worry about any lots being playable. I put the house into the houses and lots bin, bulldoze the house, go to the neighborhood I want to put the house in and place it anywhere I want it. It no longer has to be on a corner lot, and the garage works. The only problem I have had has been when I want working garages facing each other, like this FloorPlan, once you place an extension you have to then place all extensions in the same direction. I haven't figured out how to make 2 working garages facing each other yet. Edit, added text:
I have even placed 2 driveways, put extensions on for 2 double garages but then I can only place the garage doors one way, so on one of the garages has the garage doors on backwards. I even tried putting what I had done into the houses bin and placing the unfinished lot on another corner, the direction I would normally have to, to place a garage door that way but it doesn't work. If anyone has a solution to this let me know. I want the garages to actually work. thanks
Lab Assistant
#62 Old 8th Nov 2006 at 4:13 AM
Through testing I noticed this. Lighting on a lot will predict which way the driveway will flip. So far this has remained constant in all neighborhoods on all lots, both maxis and custom built. Which is great for sideways driveways on the left, but sucks for sideways driveways on the right

P.S. I have GunMods Radiance mod. Not sure if that effects the lightsource positioning or not.
Screenshots
Mad Poster
#63 Old 8th Nov 2006 at 6:03 AM
It works...

The sun is from right in this lot.
I dont understand where you had this pblem...

You know a site allowing re-upload of free build/buy stuff in lots ? Help us to update the list !

* Plus j'échoue plus je m'approche de la réussite
* The more I fail the more I approach the success

(Lao patul MMVI AD)
Lab Assistant
#64 Old 8th Nov 2006 at 8:22 AM Last edited by Mystarria : 8th Nov 2006 at 8:28 AM.
looks like top rear view of a left hand driveway though... Try getting a driveway on the right hand side of the lot..facing into the house..with the light coming from the front right of the house

I wasn't saying the light is always from the bottom left..that diagram rotates depending where you put your lot. Are you using any lighting mods? and if so, which one.
Mad Poster
#65 Old 8th Nov 2006 at 9:13 AM Last edited by patul : 8th Nov 2006 at 9:34 AM.
you said when you are OUT of the lot, I allways think IN the lot
It works fine from the other side.
I dont use any color effect
Screenshots

You know a site allowing re-upload of free build/buy stuff in lots ? Help us to update the list !

(Lao patul MMVI AD)
Lab Assistant
#66 Old 8th Nov 2006 at 5:26 PM Last edited by Mystarria : 9th Nov 2006 at 3:01 PM.
Maybe it's the radiance mod giving me the problems then.

Edit: It was my mod changing the light direction. Maybe I should make myself some lot templates so I have all lighting & driveway direction options a click away. Thanks for the help
Lab Assistant
#67 Old 7th Dec 2006 at 1:57 AM
This is in response to the sideways garage not being built on a corner lot.

I used a lot that is on a straight piece of road. It is not in the corner. After taking out the sidewalk on the opposite side of the street, the driveway turned.

I guess that means it worked. I just stumbled upon this tonight and quit the game to post this here. Hope it helps someone out.

BradySeitz
Lab Assistant
#68 Old 10th Dec 2006 at 12:34 AM
my actual question is how can you make a corner lot? It isn't listed in the Lots section.
Mad Poster
#69 Old 10th Dec 2006 at 6:48 AM
hi daz far,
This is just a lot on a corner, this can give the corner illusion with the landscaping.
The trick works on any lot of course.

(Lao patul MMVI AD)
Field Researcher
#70 Old 25th Dec 2006 at 4:41 PM
Tsh. Wow! Thanks! I've been looking for this for a YEAR!!! FINALLY! THANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOU!!!

~Sarah~
Lab Assistant
#71 Old 29th Dec 2006 at 2:40 AM
Quote: Originally posted by patul
hi daz far,
This is just a lot on a corner, this can give the corner illusion with the landscaping.
The trick works on any lot of course.

well actually, for instance, take the broke family. They live in a house that owns 2 streets. when moving it, i see 2 road ghosts instead of 1. and the arrow is on the side of the lot not the middle.

Printed Notice:
NOTICE: If you notice this notice you will notice that this notice isn't actually worth noticing
Red Sign:
SIGN NOT IN USE
Mad Poster
#72 Old 29th Dec 2006 at 5:44 AM Last edited by niol : 27th Mar 2007 at 6:37 PM.
Hehe, I see the confusion there coz there're >1 types of corner lots...

The broke lot is a predefined lot with 2 road-sides. From my experiences, it's only the right hand sided one will work for the portal (for the default placement).
yet, moving the postbox will move the portal as well.
That's why I build over the the left-hand sided road instead of the right handed one to avoid plane or helicorptor to "crash" through the building part over the road. In the neighbourhood view, the landed vehicles are all on wheels and won't crash through the building either. Yet, it has to be at a corner because of the lot definitions.

I'm unsure if somebody has found a way to mod that and have not heard about that yet. But, the Broke lot is a nice lot for studying that.
Lab Assistant
#73 Old 29th Dec 2006 at 5:48 AM
I have created a sideways driveway and found that it is simple you just have to keep trying to figure out where the extension will turn. I loved the tutorials on here and TSR both say pretty much the same thing. It doesn't work on lots going vertical. If you try it will end up on the back of the lot. I just tried it and figured that one out. Then I went back out into the neighborhood and went into a lot that was facing me and it turned to the right. Then went back out into the neighborhood and tried it with a lot that was facing away from me. It turned to the right. I am still experimenting but thought I would just add that. Maybe it will help someone out. And btw it was not done on a corner lot either.

When you see someone without a smile Give them Yours! Want to impress your Father this Father's Day come check out my new site...http://holladaure.ecrater.com/
Test Subject Forevermore
#74 Old 31st Dec 2006 at 7:11 AM
i have tried everything, please help.....nothing is working, thanks!
Test Subject Forevermore
#75 Old 31st Dec 2006 at 7:12 AM
i have tried everything, please help, nothing is working, thankyou!
Page 3 of 8