Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Original Poster
#1 Old 12th Nov 2007 at 6:02 AM
Default The Escape
This is a novel I've been writing on my own time. I've been adding a few paragraphs every little spare time I get. It's not done, and this is the first draft. Please tell me what you think. I will post the first two chapters. Please feel free to comment between chapters.

Chapter one:

“It’s not fair!” yelled Ellie Howard. “I’m 17 years old, why can’t I drive to Winnipeg with my friends this weekend for 4 days?”

“Because…” responded Mrs. Howard, almost as if she was going to say something.

“What could happen in Winnipeg? Winnipeg. Come on! All we’re doing is sightseeing and shopping. Geezo.” was Ellie’s response. She was really ticked off now.

“Winnipeg is bigger than Regina. There are more creeps, kidnappers, and what not,” replied Mrs. Howard.

“Oh my gosh! You suck at arguments.” Commented Ellie, critically.

“Excuse me?” questioned Mrs. Howard, who had clearly had it.

“I mean…” her voice trailed off. “You…should…let…me…go…um…yeah.”

“No, no and no. What part of no don’t you understand?”

“Oh come on!” yelled Ellie. “I’m going to be 18 in a year! I can vote in the next federal election! I’ll be out of this household living in Toronto going to university. I’ll be a lawyer. I find it quite ironic that you’ll let me live in Toronto a year from now but not let me go to Winnipeg for 4 days.” All those years of debate club really help she thought in her head.

There was silence. Finally, Mrs. Howard spoke. “I was afraid you’d make a spontaneous debate club speech.” Pause. “You’re right. You need to get used to being independent so you can live alone next year.”

“Thank you so much!” exclaimed Ellie with joy.

Ellie wasn’t going to Winnipeg with her friends. Ellie was going to New York City for a top-secret fun trip. She didn’t want anybody to know, not even her trusted sisters, Heather and Emma. She didn’t even want her 21-year old brother who lived in Boston to know, even though he could help her a lot. Only two people knew. Her very best friends, Melinda and Mara Leigh.

Ellie was excited for the trip. She wanted to confess about this trip when she was 30. Married with children. She could use it as a story that her children could tell their friends. She just had to pray and pray she wouldn’t get caught too early.

She went into her room. She sat down at her desk and started plotting out the plan. Figuring out expenses, budgeting time, and all that good stuff until…

“Ha!” yelled Heather from the door. “I caught you doing extra credit work! One might think you were trying to skip a grade.”

“I wanted to skip 5th grade quite frankly,” began Ellie. Hopefully it would draw Heather’s attention away from the piece of paper. “I knew everything and learned practically nothing. The teacher wouldn’t let me! Could’ve shot that lady.”

“What are you writing?” asked Heather, clearly uninterested in her story.

“A story.” Replied Ellie.

“What’s it about?”

“Politics. Nothing you’d be crazy to read.”

“Really. I though you said you didn’t give a crap about politics. Do you have a crush on Stephen Harper?”

“Okay, you asked for it.” Ellie paused. “GET OUT OF HERE NOW!”

“Not until you tell me what you’re really writing about. I can stay here all night if I had to.”

“It’s NOYB! None of your freaking business! Now, I do believe I have a right to privacy.” Ellie felt a really close connection to Heather, but sometimes she was as annoying as a mosquito.

“Okay. I won’t bug you. But just remember. I keep secrets really well.” She casually walked out of the room.

“Wait,” said Ellie. “Before you go. I’d like to tell you something.”
Advertisement
Original Poster
#2 Old 12th Nov 2007 at 6:03 AM
Default Chapter Two
Chapter Two:

“New York? Wow?” said Heather in amazement. “You really are adventurous.”

“Yeah. I’ve been planning to go on a secret trip like this for 4 years. I’m very excited.” She paused. “But you can’t tell anyone! I could never trust Emma with such a big secret. She tends to be a tattletale and acts very immature for a student going to high school next year.”

Emma listened to the conversation, standing right outside the open door. She did not appreciate being called a tattletale. I’ll get her back one day! She thought.

“I swear,” promised Heather. “I will not tell anyone!

“Thanks Heather, I knew I could trust you.” She paused. “I can tell by the look on your face that you want to come.”

“Yeah. How’d you know?”

“Well, I know you want to come. But I’m pretty sure if you keep up your drama, you’ll end up in New York. Besides, I need you to do a very important job back at home.”

“What would that be?” Wondered Heather.

“Make sure Mom, Dad, and Emma don’t find out. You need to keep in contact with me through email and I’ll try phoning you. You may have to do some lying.”

“Okay. I accept.”

“Thank you so much! This means a lot to me!”

Heather left walked out of the room and Emma hid. She couldn’t believe what she just heard. Ellie and Heather would be so busted and she’d be the good kid for once. It was so hard being the youngest and the only child in the family with learning disabilities. Her work had to be devious and subtle.
#3 Old 13th Nov 2007 at 2:25 AM
wow. I love it so far Geena! =) Awsome job! And I cant ait to see what happens! =D hehe. My sister is evil like that too...sadly. =(
Original Poster
#4 Old 13th Nov 2007 at 11:37 PM
Default Chapter Three
It was Thursday morning. Ellie was packing for her trip to ‘Winnipeg’. She was so excited, she could barely stay on task. But she had to think very carefully about what to bring. She had almost one thousand dollars of spending money. She had earned it by babysitting, doing odd jobs, and saving every penny of loose change. Melinda, who came from a rich family, secretly helped her pay for some things. This was going to be awesome.

Melinda and Mara Leigh pulled up on the driveway. Her parents thought they were driving her to Winnipeg, when they were actually taking her to the airport.

“Goodbye Ellie!” her family exclaimed at different times.

“Have fun in Winnipeg!” added Heather. “Say hello to the Golden Boy for me.”

The car pulled out of the driveway. The family went inside the house and continued life normally.

Ellie, Melinda, and Mara Leigh were driving in Melinda’s car. She had her own Pontiac G6. She didn’t take good care of it. It was noisy, dirty, and was overdue for an oil change.

“Alright,” said Melinda. “We’re at the airport.”

“We’ll miss you! We wish we could come with you, but we could never pull off such a big lie!” added Mara Leigh.

“You two are the greatest friends in the whole wide world! Thank you so much!” exclaimed Ellie.

“Just have fun!” said Melinda.

The noisy car drove away and Ellie stared at Regina International Airport for a second. Her favourite airport in the whole wide world.

She proceeded inside. She prayed she wouldn’t see anybody she knew. If she did, she would be doomed for life. Just when she was about to get in line for self-serve check in, the cute guy, Jake, from math class appeared.

“Oh great!” she whispered so quietly she couldn’t even hear herself. “Please don’t talk to me, Please don’t talk to me, Please don’t talk to me, Please don’t talk…”

“Ellie?” said Jake. “Math class?”

“Yeah.” She said without thinking. “Fancy meeting, you here.” She had a huge crush on him.

“My family is going to Disneyland for a vacation.” He paused. “What about you?”

Great. The question she was dreading. What would she say? “I’m going to visit my grandma in Minneapolis.” She paused. “Her health is not so good, but my family is too busy right now. So I’m going now alone, they’ll meet me later.”

“I’m sorry to hear about your grandmother. I hope she is well soon,” said Jake.

“Thanks. I really should check my luggage. Direct flight to Minneapolis.”

“When does it take off?”

“9:27am, I think. Yeah.”

“My family is on the exact same flight! We’re stopping in Minneapolis then going to Los Angeles.” He paused. “We might be sitting near each other!”

Great, thought Ellie, How awkward will it be when I change planes to go to New York, and he thinks I’m going out to catch a taxi?

He walked away. Ellie needed help, desperately. From whom? Melinda? No, she’s never been on a plane. Mara Leigh? She was horrible with guys. Heather? Nothing else would work better. She got out her cell phone. You could use cell phones in the main lobby right? Oh well. Too bad.

“Hello?” it was Heather.

“Heather! Thank you so much for picking up! I need your advice!”

She explained the dilemma.

“If you are sitting near him, look for an empty seat and sit there, or kindly ask someone to trade spaces. You could also try changing your flight to stop in Toronto or Vancouver. Maybe if worse comes to worse, just tell him at Minneapolis that you meant to say New York…or…” her voice trailed off. “I’m sorry I couldn’t be a better help but…”

“No, no.” said Ellie. “I know just what to do. Thanks. Bye!” she hung up and went to check in her luggage.

“I’m sorry.” Explained the airport employee. “Flight 876 to Minneapolis has been overbooked.”

Ellie mumbled curse words.

“Excuse me?” questioned the airport employee. “As I was saying, we can get you on a flight to Toronto, which leaves at 10:31am. We can get you to New York from Toronto. Alright?”

“I’ll take it!” exclaimed Ellie. She realized this was good, not bad! She’d be away from him!

Ellie went upstairs to wait in the waiting area. She saw him and approached him.

“Guess what?” Ellie claimed. “My flight got overbooked and now I’m stopping in Toronto first.”
Original Poster
#5 Old 13th Nov 2007 at 11:39 PM
Default Chapter Four
“Really?” wondered Jake. “That’s quite interesting considering the exact same thing happened to my family.”

Darn! Thought Ellie.

“We are now going to Toronto, to Minneapolis, to Los Angeles,” continued Jake. “Stupid airlines.”

Yeah, no kidding. How could the airlines let Jake and I be on the same flight? Ellie thought again. She had to say something, but what and when?

“Well, I’m going to have breakfast while my family is busy doing other things. Want to join me? My treat.”

Ellie had breakfast, but only half a piece of toast. She was starving and couldn’t turn this offer down.

“I would love to!” she exclaimed.

“Alright then! Let’s go.”

Jake and Ellie proceeded over to the restaurant. All of a sudden Ellie hoped she would be seen by some girls in her math class.

“I’ll have French toast,” said Ellie to the clerk.

“And I’ll have a pepperoni pizza,” said Jake to the clerk.

Jake gave the clerk the money and Ellie asked him, “You eat pizza for breakfast?”

Jake smiled and said, “Why not?” He paused, “You eat French toast for breakfast?” he said jokingly.

Ellie just laughed.

“Order number 44 is ready!” yelled the clerk.

“That’s us,” said Jake. So he got the tray and they sat down.

They started eating and just looked at each other for a bit. Finally Ellie said something.
“I can’t believe we’ll be in grade 12 next year,” is what she said.

“I know. It’s exciting. I can’t wait to go to University and start my art major,” replied Jake.

“I wish I could draw as good as you, Jake,” stated Ellie. “I can’t draw. I compared my artwork with my cousin, who is 11, and it showed some resemblance.”

“I’m glad you like my artwork. All my friends laugh at me because my aspiration is to be an artist. They think they are better than me because they’re going to be mechanics.”

“Jake,” explained Ellie. “It’s about what you want to do. Not about impressing your friends.”

“I know that,” said Jake. “I just wish people would accept the fact that I want to be an artist. I mean, no one teases you for wanting to be a lawyer.”

“I know what you mean,” said Ellie sympathetically. “It annoys me when people assign careers to genders or personalities. In the end, it’s what you like to do and want to do.”

“Oh Ellie, you have such a wonderful way of putting things. It just, just, works.” He paused. “That’s why you’d make a perfect lawyer.”

“Aww, you’re so sweet.” She ended up saying to Jake. All of a sudden she didn’t mind being on the same plane as him.

They were done eating. They just stared at each other. They were about to kiss, but Jake’s watch beeped.

“Oh, sorry that’s my watch,” apologized Jake. “I should meet up with my family. Nice talking with you, I’ll see you on the plane!”

Jake got up from his seat, but Ellie just stayed seated, amazed at what she had just experienced. She’d be the envy of all her classmates for sure. Finally, she snapped out of her fantasy scene and left the restaurant.
#6 Old 14th Nov 2007 at 3:02 AM
Wow. Great story do far! =) I love it, and I cant wait to see how this turns out! lol. I bet someone is going to find out.... lol.
Original Poster
#7 Old 14th Nov 2007 at 3:51 AM
Lol, glad you like it so far! I'm at chapter 10 in my own writing. But I'll continue posting 2 chapters at a time.
Original Poster
#8 Old 15th Nov 2007 at 2:45 AM
Default Chapter Five
Ellie promised herself she wouldn’t spend any of her money until she got to New York. She really wanted to buy a bag of chips from the duty-free shop, but didn’t. Ellie hated waiting, especially in airports. She had a lot more time to wait, as the flight was an hour later. She felt like sleeping, but then she’d miss the announcement and miss her flight. How embarrassing would it be to call Melinda again to pick her up because she missed a flight?

Ellie wished she could find Jake, but where could he be? Regina International Airport wasn’t that big of an airport, but still, she couldn’t find him.

Ellie walked went downstairs and walked around. She watched the airport employees put the tags on the luggage and put it on the conveyor belt. It helped take away some boredom, but not much. She was waiting for someone to taunt the airport employees about bombs, so she could watch an arrest, with her own eyes.

Instead, she walked around to the baggage claim area. It was really nicely done, with the painted glass. A flight had just come in from Calgary. She watched all the people come down the escalator, and go towards the baggage conveyor belts and get their bags. She liked looking at the interesting items people checked into the plane.

She got quite bored of that, so she went back upstairs. She went by the security area. This always amused her, watching people go through the metal detector and see who beeped. She saw this one girl, who looked about 8 or 9. She absolutely refused to go through the metal detector. It was funny to watch, her older brother was trying to push her through and she wouldn’t go. This girl was holding up the line and causing major distraction. Ellie was waiting for a security official to take her away, but instead, her brother pushed her through and she was crying because she fell. Ellie couldn’t stop laughing and thought it’d be funnier if she beeped.

Ellie checked her watch. She thought she’d better go through security now. So she got in line, it wasn’t very long. After about a three minute wait, it was her turn.

She carefully put her purse down on the conveyor belt; and slowly walked through the metal detector with crossed fingers. BEEP!

Ellie’s face turned bright red as she stuck out her arms to be checked. It was just her earrings, belt, and hair clip that made it beep right?

Ellie was safe. She reclaimed her purse and went to wait-again. Why did airlines make you wait so much? Where was Jake? How was she going to pull it off when she went to New York from Toronto instead of Minneapolis?

Now she was back to being annoyed about Jake showing up. She liked him, and felt something between them, but right now she wished he had never heard of Disneyland.

Ellie just sat down by gate B and read her novel.
Original Poster
#9 Old 15th Nov 2007 at 2:47 AM
Default Chapter Six
“General boarding for flight 891 to Toronto, please show your boarding pass and ID,” announced the airport employee.

This is it, thought Ellie. She got up off her seat and got out her boarding pass, passport, and driver’s license. She crossed her fingers that they’d let her on the plane.

She felt relieved when they let her on the plane. So where was she sitting? She looked at the boarding pass. Row 34, on the aisle. Thank goodness, she was severely afraid of heights and the window seat scared her.

She went to sit down. She couldn’t believe who was sitting in the middle seat.

“Hey Jake!” she exclaimed.

“Hey Ellie!” he responded. “My family and I aren’t sitting together. I guess it’s to do with the other flight being overbooked. Oh well. At least we’ll get there.” He paused. “So, tell me more about your grandmother in Minneapolis.”

Why did he have to ask? Thought Ellie. “Um,” she stuttered. “She is my dad’s mom.” She paused. “My uncle lives in Minneapolis.” Pause. “My grandma recently got…” Her voice trailed off. “A heart attack.”

There was silence. “I’m sorry to hear about your grandmother,” Jake finally said. “I hope she is better and send her my wishes.”

Wow, thought Ellie, I rock at lying!

The flight attendant did her speech about the seatbelts, oxygen masks, and all that stuff. Ellie felt at times she was mouthing along what she was saying.

Ellie and Jake were silent for most of the trip. Jake fell asleep, and Ellie finished her novel, which she had just started reading the previous day.

Finally, after what seemed like days, the plane landed. Ellie heard clunk of the landing wheels, which woke Jake up.

Ellie was in Toronto. She hadn’t been to Toronto in years. As she walked out of the plane, she looked out the windows and spotted the CN tower almost immediately.

She was on a connecting flight, so she just had to go to the gate and wait, again.
Ellie was getting sick of waiting. The Toronto Pearson International Airport wasn’t quite as welcoming as the Regina Airport. For one thing, it was busier, noisier, and there were way more arrivals and departures. It was going to be annoying to wait here. It was almost 6pm and she was starving. She hadn’t had lunch and needed supper. But she didn’t want to buy anything, so she just ate some snacks she had packed.

She saw Jake. His flight to Minneapolis left later than hers. She went to sit by him, and said, “This is where we separate. Apparently I go to New York, then Minneapolis.” She paused. “Stupid airlines.”

“New York, THEN Minneapolis. Wow, those airlines are pretty devious.” Commented Jake.

“General boarding for flight 987 to New York City…”

“Bye Jake,” said Ellie.

They looked at each other for a moment, and gradually got closer. They kissed.

Ellie got up, with a huge smile on her face. She went through the customs and eventually got on the plane. She had something to brag about. Kissing her crush, in Toronto.
#10 Old 15th Nov 2007 at 3:08 AM
Awwww. Nice =) It sucks thet he she had to go though. But great story so far Geena! =)
Original Poster
#11 Old 21st Nov 2007 at 11:07 PM
Default Chapter Seven
Ellie sat down. She was an aisle, again. She had trouble imagining how busy John F. Kennedy airport would be. Why did they have to ban liquids and gels? She thought. She needed to fix her makeup. But instead, she slept. It was amazing how tired she was.

When she woke up, she felt as if she were having an amnesia episode. She was clueless for about a minute. She checked her watch, 7:47pm, in Saskatchewan. It would most likely be two hours ahead, so it was about quarter to ten. She didn’t dare look out the window, but she assumed they were in the United States.

Ellie felt a bit refreshed after the long nap. She promised Heather that she’d call her as soon as she got to her hotel room, no matter how late it was. There was so much stuff she wanted to see. Central Park, Statue of Liberty, Grand Central Station, Times Square, and the list went on. Of course, there would be shopping time.

Ellie was curious as to when the plane would land. She was extremely fed up with airports as of today. She hoped it hadn’t landed and then taken off again. No, she couldn’t think that thought.

The same man was still sitting in the middle seat, and his wife in the window seat. She looked around the plane and saw quite a few familiar people.

She couldn’t take the pressure, so she politely asked the man beside her, “Excuse me sir.” She paused. “Has the plane landed yet?”

The man looked up from his paper, “No, but it should in about another hour.” He looked back to the paper.

Ellie was relieved, but so angry that the plane wouldn’t land until quarter to eleven! And it would be a long drive to her hotel. Oh well, Heather should be up. She said she’d wait, even if the call came at 4am. Ellie hoped it wouldn’t come to that, but she trusted her sister.

Ellie felt like going back to sleep, but her body wouldn’t let her. Ellie decided to write in her journal, then she doodled. She was drawing people (secretly) on the plane, especially those who were sleeping.

It was then quarter after ten. Ellie put away her journal and got out a magazine. She drew mustaches, glasses, and blemishes on all the people. She couldn’t believe she was that bored.
Original Poster
#12 Old 21st Nov 2007 at 11:08 PM
Default Chpater Eight
Ellie pulled out her novel and reread it. It was a good novel, and it was worth reading again.

Finally, just a few minutes before eleven, the plane was preparing for landing. Ellie couldn’t believe it. She was excited. She was in the Big Apple.

When the plane landed, she got out as quickly as possible. When she got out to a common area, it was crowded. It seemed like there wasn’t even one inch of space between people. Ellie didn’t even know how to get to the baggage claim, nor did she know how (or want to) push through people.

She looked confused and tried to overdo her confused look, hoping airport personnel would notice her.

“May I help you ma’am?” asked a man who was in uniform.

“Yes, where is the baggage claim?” asked Ellie.

“Follow me,” said the man very courteous.

Ellie couldn’t help but look around. This was all new to her. Every step she took seemed to be exciting. The only thing she didn’t like was the overcrowded airport.

The walk to the baggage claim area took about ten minutes; it would have been two minutes if the airport weren’t so crowded.

The luggage hadn’t come out yet. There were people gathered around a carousel, but it was a flight from Minneapolis. Ellie didn’t want to bother.

Finally, people were gathering around another carousel. It was it. Flight 987 from Toronto. It was her flight. Ellie couldn’t get a front row view, so she stood back a bit, waiting for other people to get their bags and taking their spot.

After fifteen minutes, her bag still hadn’t turned up. They closed up that carousel. Ellie got a little worried. Had they lost her bag? She took a little walk and looked at all the other carousels to see if her bag was there. No sign.

Well this is just wonderful, thought Ellie. So, Ellie just took a few deep breaths and did what one was supposed to.
#13 Old 22nd Nov 2007 at 12:22 AM
Awww. I hope she finds her bags. I would hate to loose mine in a airport.